Sacre Bleu!

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by dong20, Apr 3, 2007.

1. dong20

Gold Member

For our departed Wessex_EN....

TGV train breaks speed record in Champagne

"....From about 380 kph, vibrations in the train became more and more noticeable. At 490 kph passengers became slightly dizzy. At 540 kph it became difficult to remain standing despite the stability of the train....:eek:"

I've been on Japanese Bullet Trains and they're fast and a Maglev train has been [marginally] faster but this is a conventional train.

2. ClaireTalon

Gold Member

I suppose unless he has a VIP special invitation or works in the business, he won't get a chance to board a train going this fast. With the normal pax/freight load, I don't think such speeds will ever be reached. However, not bad for a vehicle that has to overcome air friction and, unlike magnetic levitation trains, frictional forces between wheels and rails.

3. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

If God had wanted us to move that fast he would have given us wheels.

4. ClaireTalon

Gold Member

And then you'd have been the role model for the penis car in the "For Ladies Only" album by Steppenwolf?

5. dongalong

Gold Member

The TGV is one of my favourite French things, it is something the Frogs....er French can be proud of, bravo les gars!!!

They make me embarrassed of our slow British trains! :(
    Long gone are the days when we were world leaders in locomotion!

6. rubberwilli

rubberwilli Member

Albums:
    Be thankful you're not in the USA, where we have AMTRAK...UGH! The WORST train system in the world I believe. I've taken it a few times from Chicago to Indianpolis and it's slower than driving by almost 2 hours!

If we could only get a bullet model of train here in the USA. There is the NY to DC line but that's it. Nothing that corss the vast openness of the USA at speeds that would be helpful. ARGH!

7. headbang8

Gold Member

Albums:
    It surprises me that nobody has done exactly that. High speed trains are so ubiquitous in Japan that the cost of the technology must have come down to commodity level. I'm sure there are plenty of bullet trains available second hand; the first were built for the Tokyo Olympics in 1964.

The high-speed Acela between NY and DC takes three hours. The normal AMTRAK Regional train takes three and a half. That's because the cheapskates use the same old track for both. Ha! Some high-speed rail! Nonetheless, I prefer either to flying the eastern seaboard. Quieter and more spacious than planes, when you factor in the time for an airport commute and check-in, you're ahead on a train. And you can use your cellphone. (That's a good thing, isn't it?)

Having travelled on both the Shinkansen and the TGV, I became a big fan of high-speed rail. Most remark how smooth they feel--necessary, since you don't want to hit a bump at 300 kph.

Of course, the secret is in the rails, not the train itself.

The Japanese system is completely separate from the rest of the network. In only very few cities do the trains even share the same stations. Shin-Kobe station, set into the side of a very beautiful mountain, is some distance from Kobe downtown station, for example.

The French system partly shares normal rails: I once travelled from Paris to Monte Carlo on the TGV (oh, I get around) and the route form Paris to Marseille, through the grubby industrial areas around Toulouse, were high-speed. (I think teh new line mentioned here, to Strasbourg, was a different route) From Marsilles, it snaked its way along the Mediterranean coast on the older, cliff-hugging scenic route, at considerably lower speeds.

Monte Carlo railway station is spectacular, too. Set in a cave inside Mount Charles, you exit in one of two directions, up or down.

8. D_Humper E Bogart

D_Humper E Bogart New Member

Woah, Headbang, that is so cool!

I can only say I've survived the London Underground. :(

9. agnslz

Gold Member

Aw, I miss Wessex_EN! I thought his obsession with trains was adorable, and I found it quite endearing. Another Brit that I miss is UKBBW_Denise. I haven't seen here around here in months. :(

On topic, I think high speed trains are quite cool myself. I also wish we had them here in the U.S. One kind of train that I really would like to see is a maglev, I've read about the ones they have in China, and it would be nice to have one of those here in the U.S. Locally, we've just recently gotten our first commuter train system going. There's also been talk of having a high speed train between El Paso, Albuquerque and Denver, but who knows if that ever will happen.

10. B_aNMpumpCOACH

B_aNMpumpCOACH New Member

train is up and going ,,,,,,,, land in ALB < on to SANTA FE

Draft saved Draft deleted