Sacrilegious

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by SUMYUNGUY, Oct 3, 2005.

1. SUMYUNGUY

SUMYUNGUY New Member

Why is it that the left holds so dear to them not offending any group, save for the Christians?
    This board not being different, by any means, from any other board I've frequented, seems to have a double set of standards. No respect for those with a moral guideline, yet total reverence for anyone outside that group with other ideas? (The exception being Islam, so far as I can tell.)

Is it hypocrisy of falsely perceived hypocrisy?

2. warwithscars

warwithscars New Member

Albums:
    i dont think its either, we all have out own moral standards and we judge based on those, its not left or right or whatever, and the whole board doesnt have the same beliefs so you cant lump them all together like that. To be honest though i dont remember any threads that insult any group like you are discribing so not sure where you are coming from.

Hail Satan

3. Lex

Lex
    Gold Member

Specific examples would be extremely helpful. I consider myself a moderate and was rasied as a Christian. That being said, I do feel that the Bible and teachings therein have been way bastardized by man (to do a lot of unacceptable things). I find that the faithful who take the Bible as literal fact and rulebook often get offended by those who take it as allegory.

4. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

How interesting... with a few word substitutions, this one would work for left-leaning or right-leaning post...

In the first sentence, change "left" to "conservative," change "Christians" to "liberals," and in the parenthesis, change "Islam" to "oil companies."

I identify myself as liberal (at least socially) but I am not terrified of offending anyone. I don't usually do it intentionally unless it is truly warranted, but if someone wants to be so sensitive that they are offended when I call the sky blue, then so be it.

As I am not christian, you probably view most everything I do as "sacrilegious." That is your prerogative. I don't have a problem with you believing and worshipping as you choose. Just don't use your religion as a club to beat me over the head, and we will get along just fine. Oh, and by the way, I feel the same about Islam. Five Pillars is just fine, jihad is NOT.

5. Dr. Dilznick

Gold Member

According to Shari'a, anal sex is a sin, some say punishable by death.

<!--QuoteBegin-SUMYUNGUY

Why is it that the left holds so dear to them not offending any group, save for the Christians? (The exception being Islam, so far as I can tell.)[/quote]
    Christians, Muslims, but not Jews. For some reason, "Jew" has now become some form of slander, even when the person you&#39;re referring to is a Jew. Maybe it&#39;s simply because of the word. Jew. It sounds like a pejorative, but in fact it&#39;s not. It&#39;s so short and compact it&#39;s usually said in a short, forceful way that enhances the perceived disparagement of it.

JEW&#33;&#33;
    You JEW&#33;&#33;
    Hey&#33; JEW&#33;&#33;

I don&#39;t know what to say. Everybody&#39;s offended these days.

6. Dr Rock

Gold Member

who lives in the east &#039;neath the willow tree? Sex
    what&#39;s "the left"

7. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

At the risk of repeating a redundancy again, if that is what you want to believe, that&#39;s just fine. I truly do not give a flying fuck about Shari&#39;a. I don&#39;t care about the five pillars. I don&#39;t care about the ten commandments. To repeat a redundancy again, believe as you wish, but don&#39;t hold me to it. If it concerns you, fine. If it concerns me, then it is no one else&#39;s concern. My point is, everybody is too easily offended these days. I do not go out of my way to offend anyone; neither do I go out of my way to avoid offending.

8. Pecker

Pecker Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Wow&#33; A hat trick&#33; :loveya:

9. Dr. Dilznick

Gold Member

Acting like I&#39;ve never taken a ride down the hershey highway before. My last lady liked getting it in the pooter. Good thing our "relationship" didn&#39;t last long, otherwise her pussy and asshole would&#39;ve probably stretched out to the point where both fuse together and form one giant cock-cave.

10. madame_zora

Gold Member

These conversations just keep getting dumber and dumber. I actually enjoy the spoof posts the most lately because at least they have a reason to be written. The problem as I see it, is that people who wish to identify with the "right wing" think that makes it acceptable to condemn others&#39; lives and that their condemnations should br treated as civil conversation to be respected and given equal time. No one ever says "We should make Christianity illegal", NO&#33; EVERYONE on the left says it&#39;s great that Christians have their faith, they just should not be able to IMPOSE it as our legal system. Why is this so fucking hard to understand?

I don&#39;t give a flying fuck what you think or how you feel, for whatever your reasons you decide it&#39;s within your rights to make decisions about other people&#39;s lives that don&#39;t concern you, I will call you an idiot. I will laugh at you and make fun of your insecurities, I&#39;m well within my rights to do so. I can&#39;t pass legislation against you so a little tawdry taunting is the only relief I get.

I will also assert my personal belief that right wingers have more homophobia and violence in their group than those who enjoy more liberal views. It&#39;s not a fact, just my opinion, but probably someone has done a study on it. As I see it, it&#39;s the age old question of brain vs. braun. My guns vs. your writing. Not too tough for me to figure out which group to associate with, nor it is hard to figure out who falls where after a ten minute conversation.

11. jonb

Gold Member

Most likely he&#39;s talking about how we don&#39;t feel it&#39;s okay to lie to students about biology.

12. dlcs

dlcs New Member

<==== That over there.

13. mindseye

Gold Member

Not all Christians; just those who are thin-skinned and easily offended. Then it&#39;s like shooting fish in a barrel.

Real Christians practice tolerance.

14. SUMYUNGUY

SUMYUNGUY New Member

Some intersting opinions so far.

15. dlcs

dlcs New Member

But it seems that in today&#39;s religious climate, it&#39;s harder to find the tolerant set, at least in America. Everybody&#39;s so afraid of offending everyone else, it&#39;s not a real society anymore, with the intellectual exchange that&#39;s so necessary for the growth of a culture.
    My sister&#39;s best friend is a tremendously beautiful black man who just happens to be gay. She invited some of our students to be in her Master&#39;s thesis, and one of them declined because of him. Best damn human being you could ever hope to meet, never hurts a single soul, and is Christian in his own right.
    The ones that did go had a blast, and know that they learned something incredibly special. I just can&#39;t fathom passing up an opportunity like that because of one person you&#39;ve never met who happens to "fall outside the line" of what is considered acceptable by a belief system. It was their choice, and I won&#39;t argue that. I just think you can miss so much of life by hiding behind beliefs.

16. D_Humper E Bogart

D_Humper E Bogart New Member

By nature, we love to categorise and simplify. I don&#39;t believe in such simple terms as "left and right" and the sooner people get their heads out of the sand, THEN we can actually work for a democracy that I feel makes points worth mentioning.

At the mo, half the argument is based on the beliefs and ideals of the person, fair enough, but a two-dimensional outlook on things causes conflices on an "us-or-them" level rather than debating the points that are important.

17. madame_zora

Gold Member

Not all Christians; just those who are thin-skinned and easily offended. Then it&#39;s like shooting fish in a barrel.

Real Christians practice tolerance.
    [post=348642]Quoted post[/post]​
    [/b][/quote]

Real Christians follow the teachings of Christ, they are located in the New Testament&#33; The Old Testament is an historical account of Jewish law. Unless you are a Jew who does not recognise Jesus as the son of God, you have no business quoting from the OT as if it were pertinent to how we are supposed to live our lives today. Anyone who does so mocks his own religion, so why should I be held to a higher standard than them?

Anyone who ignores the teachings of Jesus has no right to call themselves "Christian", and if as Heath says, your faith is so shallow that it is insulted so easily, well then I just can&#39;t help myself&#33;

18. jay_too

jay_too New Member

What is the sacrilege in offending Christians? I have known some pretty offensive bible spouters; whether or not they are Christian is another matter.

jay

19. SUMYUNGUY

SUMYUNGUY New Member

Not trying to be sarcastic, but you may want to try looking up the meaning of the word.

20. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

Uh, perhaps he was making a distinction between "professed christian" and "practicing christian." If I claim to be a "born-again christian," but promulgate hatred and malcontent, is that truly being a christian? Fred Phelps claims to be a heaven-bound christian, with a frighteningly large following, but with his ACTIVE promotion of EXTERMINATION of a SIGNIFICANT segment of our planet&#39;s population, is he TRULY a CHRISTIAN?

Draft saved Draft deleted