Sad And Confused Newbie

SadDavid

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Hi Guys,

At 54 years old, I just came out to family and friends a few months ago. I've known I'm gay since forever, but never really embraced it. Until now.

OK, so this is going to be a pretty long post, but thank you if you can plow through it!

What brought me out? A random bartender MUCH younger than I. I have the biggest crush on him! I am just so drawn to him. I've never felt such intense feelings in my life.

I found out he's gay, and I think, single. So I've been going to his bar and trying to be friendly and chat him up a little.

I finally got up my nerve to see if he'd like to chat outside of the bar.

The first time, after hearing he'd just come back from Hawaii, I suggested we grab a coffee after his shift (he was almost off) so he could tell me more about it. He told me, "I think I have to work a double shift today". So, I left nonchalantly. (Inside, of course, I was very upset).

The second time I tried to "ask him out", it was an awkward mess. On this particular day, I'd come in to get a beer, and, after he served me, he and his manager huddled in a corner and were obviously talking about something very discreetly. My crush disappeared and the manager told me he'd sent him to lunch. Hmm. That made me feel funny.

But, I figured I'd just wait it out and after he comes back from lunch, I'll try asking him out again. In the meantime, I'd had a couple of Moscow Mules, and was feeling rather out of it. When my crush FINALLY returned, I called him over. I asked him, "hey, you know why I'm always coming here, right?" Oh my. Probably not a good line, but like I say, I wasn't thinking straight at all. He very innocently answers, "oh, because it's cheaper here?" At this point, I'm half-drunk and revved up on adrenaline and I just start babbling and I can't really remember what I said. But it was something along the lines of "I wondered if you'd like to go get a drink with me later because I feel like you're someone I could really relate to and talk with..."

At the same time, I felt like I was putting him on the spot and so I felt very guilty and like I was embarrassing him (and myself), so I started apologizing and sort of "back-peddling". I also threw in something like, "oh, but you're probably already attached, aren't you?" (to give him an "out"). This is when things got really confusing. He smiled coyly and said, "not really". I asked him why not (trying to compliment him) and he said something about "because SHE works here..." What does THAT mean?

I keep apologizing and telling him I'm sorry if I'm making him feel awkward, and he very graciously tells me, "oh, you're fine..." And so the conversation just fizzled out and he went about running around and tending bar and keeping very busy while I'm just sitting there feeling weird and embarrassed.

After this fiasco, I stay away for close to a month's time before going back to the bar. So far, I've been able to control myself, not have too much to drink, and remain casual and "chill". I want to show my crush that I'm OK and not going to try anything stupid again. It's like I want to redeem myself. So far, I've been able to go back a couple more times, and things have been relaxed and non-eventful.

The last time I went in to the bar, the manager approached me and said something like "hey, behave yourself" or "be good". I couldn't tell if he was just giving me a hard time, because it was sort of said in a semi-joking way, but also there was a serious tone to it, as well. I feel like he was advising me to be cool and not "mess" with my crush again. So, I'm pretty sure my crush must have talked with his manager about "that weird guy that keeps coming in here and coming on to me". Well, at least that's what I'm imagining. Maybe I'm just overreacting and it's not a big deal. But I wonder.

OK, so now I'm in this "cold war" phase. I want to give my crush space and not make him feel uncomfortable. But I am still DYING to get to know him outside of his workplace.

The really interesting thing is, I've had crushes (with way less intensity) on lots of other guys. But this bartender guy is a different deal. What I mean is that I don't feel so much lust towards him, as I just feel drawn to him in a more emotional way. I am attracted to him physically, yes, but it goes way beyond that. I feel so attracted to his personality. It's a feeling of wanting to get to know the person and truly be a friend. He has this boyish quality and a particular sadness behind his big soulful eyes.

So -- at this point, I've realized and accepted that he is not interested in "dating" me. I can understand that and I'm OK with that, I think. But can't we still be friends? Get to know each other platonically? Help each other as fellow gay guys and share ideas and thoughts?

I feel like I've blown it because I've come on to him and made him feel like I'm after him romantically. Is it possible now to change gears and ask him to be "just friends"? I'll be honest, the thought did occur to me that even if we became "just friends", I am not going to deny that I'm holding out some hope that we might become "more than friends". But truly, I'd be so happy to be "just friends".

My conundrum now is how to ask him out on a "non-date".

I feel like I want to explain myself, but it's so hard at the bar because he's so busy and of course there are other people (co-workers and customers) around, so I don't want to embarrass him (especially if he's not "out" to everyone there).

I've thought of slipping him a note, but that seems like it might scare him off too.

One of my gay friends suggested I ask him for his number. But that seems way too forward!

The other advice I've had is to just keep going to the bar and remain casual and chill and chat to him about this and that -- but not try to ask him out. Just to go with the flow and let it come up naturally sometime when we discover perhaps a common interests (for example, "hey, you like bowling too? wanna go try that new place?"

UGH. I'm such a newbie and have so little experience. Thank you for reading this saga and for any feedback you may have.

Gratefully,
David

gr8gatsby

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Hi Guys,

At 54 years old, I just came out to family and friends a few months ago. I've known I'm gay since forever, but never really embraced it. Until now.

OK, so this is going to be a pretty long post, but thank you if you can plow through it!

What brought me out? A random bartender MUCH younger than I. I have the biggest crush on him! I am just so drawn to him. I've never felt such intense feelings in my life.

I found out he's gay, and I think, single. So I've been going to his bar and trying to be friendly and chat him up a little.

The first time, after hearing he'd just come back from Hawaii, I suggested we grab a coffee after his shift (he was almost off) so he could tell me more about it. He told me, "I think I have to work a double shift today". So, I left nonchalantly. (Inside, of course, I was very upset).

The second time I tried to "ask him out", it was an awkward mess. On this particular day, I'd come in to get a beer, and, after he served me, he and his manager huddled in a corner and were obviously talking about something very discreetly. My crush disappeared and the manager told me he'd sent him to lunch. Hmm. That made me feel funny.

But, I figured I'd just wait it out and after he comes back from lunch, I'll try asking him out again. In the meantime, I'd had a couple of Moscow Mules, and was feeling rather out of it. When my crush FINALLY returned, I called him over. I asked him, "hey, you know why I'm always coming here, right?" Oh my. Probably not a good line, but like I say, I wasn't thinking straight at all. He very innocently answers, "oh, because it's cheaper here?" At this point, I'm half-drunk and revved up on adrenaline and I just start babbling and I can't really remember what I said. But it was something along the lines of "I wondered if you'd like to go get a drink with me later because I feel like you're someone I could really relate to and talk with..."

At the same time, I felt like I was putting him on the spot and so I felt very guilty and like I was embarrassing him (and myself), so I started apologizing and sort of "back-peddling". I also threw in something like, "oh, but you're probably already attached, aren't you?" (to give him an "out"). This is when things got really confusing. He smiled coyly and said, "not really". I asked him why not (trying to compliment him) and he said something about "because SHE works here..." What does THAT mean?

I keep apologizing and telling him I'm sorry if I'm making him feel awkward, and he very graciously tells me, "oh, you're fine..." And so the conversation just fizzled out and he went about running around and tending bar and keeping very busy while I'm just sitting there feeling weird and embarrassed.

After this fiasco, I stay away for close to a month's time before going back to the bar. So far, I've been able to control myself, not have too much to drink, and remain casual and "chill". I want to show my crush that I'm OK and not going to try anything stupid again. It's like I want to redeem myself. So far, I've been able to go back a couple more times, and things have been relaxed and non-eventful.

The last time I went in to the bar, the manager approached me and said something like "hey, behave yourself" or "be good". I couldn't tell if he was just giving me a hard time, because it was sort of said in a semi-joking way, but also there was a serious tone to it, as well. I feel like he was advising me to be cool and not "mess" with my crush again. So, I'm pretty sure my crush must have talked with his manager about "that weird guy that keeps coming in here and coming on to me". Well, at least that's what I'm imagining. Maybe I'm just overreacting and it's not a big deal. But I wonder.

OK, so now I'm in this "cold war" phase. I want to give my crush space and not make him feel uncomfortable. But I am still DYING to get to know him outside of his workplace.

The really interesting thing is, I've had crushes (with way less intensity) on lots of other guys. But this bartender guy is a different deal. What I mean is that I don't feel so much lust towards him, as I just feel drawn to him in a more emotional way. I am attracted to him physically, yes, but it goes way beyond that. I feel so attracted to his personality. It's a feeling of wanting to get to know the person and truly be a friend. He has this boyish quality and a particular sadness behind his big soulful eyes.

So -- at this point, I've realized and accepted that he is not interested in "dating" me. I can understand that and I'm OK with that, I think. But can't we still be friends? Get to know each other platonically? Help each other as fellow gay guys and share ideas and thoughts?

I feel like I've blown it because I've come on to him and made him feel like I'm after him romantically. Is it possible now to change gears and ask him to be "just friends"? I'll be honest, the thought did occur to me that even if we became "just friends", I am not going to deny that I'm holding out some hope that we might become "more than friends". But truly, I'd be so happy to be "just friends".

I feel like I want to explain myself, but it's so hard at the bar because he's so busy and of course there are other people (co-workers and customers) around, so I don't want to embarrass him (especially if he's not "out" to everyone there).

I've thought of slipping him a note, but that seems like it might scare him off too.

One of my gay friends suggested I ask him for his number. But that seems way too forward!

The other advice I've had is to just keep going to the bar and remain casual and chill and chat to him about this and that -- but not try to ask him out. Just to go with the flow and let it come up naturally sometime when we discover perhaps a common interests (for example, "hey, you like bowling too? wanna go try that new place?"

UGH. I'm such a newbie and have so little experience. Thank you for reading this saga and for any feedback you may have.

Gratefully,
David
I think as long as you continue showing up at the bar when he's working, and alone, it looks like you have one thing in mind.

If you like this particular bar, go with a friend or two, male or female. Engage with them and the bartender might naturally be drawn into the conversation. Also, ask yourself the tough question whether you really just want to be friends or will you continue to secretly wish for more ... if this is the case I'd suggest moving on.

Reactions: 693987 and BillM

Hi Guys,

Gratefully,
David

It's tough to be torn between what you want and what you know is the right thing to do. Honestly, if you feel like you were on good terms before, let the whole thing go and eventually it will resume. There's no faster way to lead yourself to disappointment than by pursuing someone that isn't in to you, especially when you know it but aren't willing to give them space.

Become a regular and you'll see them warm up to you over time!

Reactions: gr8gatsby and BillM

SadDavid

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
It's tough to be torn between what you want and what you know is the right thing to do. Honestly, if you feel like you were on good terms before, let the whole thing go and eventually it will resume. There's no faster way to lead yourself to disappointment than by pursuing someone that isn't in to you, especially when you know it but aren't willing to give them space.

Become a regular and you'll see them warm up to you over time!

Thanks for your advice, Aguilaris. I do feel like I was on good terms before. I had become a semi-"regular" -- and everyone knew my drink.

So are you saying I should spread out my visits more (instead of going once a week)?

Reactions: BillM and Aguilaris

RJ5on1

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
We all have only “One Chance at a First Impression.”

Admittedly, yours did not go well and that is, for all intents and purposes, “Water Under the Bridge.”

If you “Put Yourself in His Place”, and look at your attempts to engage him, you might see from his perspective, and better understand him.

David, the hardest part… You already know what you need to do; It’s time to accept that no matter how much you are drawn to him, he does not feel the same.

Realizing that is hard, I know. Accepting that is devastating… but you must. He’s a barman; it’s his job to be friendly and pleasant with everyone. If he had an interest he would have picked up on the vibes.

David, my heart breaks for you, because your heart is crushed. Please allow yourself to grieve for the period of time your heart needs. If you continue to desire more from him than he's willing to give, your heart will not heal.

David, you’re a new member here and there are a LOT of people willing to go thru this with you. As you already have, pour out your heart and be amazed at the support you’ll receive! Yeah, We Care!

(My apologies for all the cliché. However, there’s a reason they exist; They are a “Fact of Life.”)

Reactions: headbang8 and BillM

thebiggulp

Loved Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I feel your pain. I have seen other guys come out late, and there's no handbook for how to start dating cold. What is an acceptable approach to one person can be offensive to another. I've ruined so many opportunities with the wrong approach, even when I've known they were interested.

The "she" that he was referring to may have been the bar manager. They might be involved, or the manager might be wanting to be involved, so your crush would have to be careful that his job isn't on the line for flirting with you. Ultimately, trying to pick someone else up at their place of employment is usually not a good idea for many reasons. Bartenders work for tips, so they have to be friendly. If they aren't interested it starts to get a sexual harassment vibe. I know that this puts you in an awkward place, because work's where you see him.

If you are getting frustrated, it might be time to stop going to the bar for awhile, and seeing where life places you. It could be a timing issue. Even if he's Mr Right, he might not be Mr Right now. Life has a funny way of throwing people together if they are meant to be.

I wish you well on your quest. Whether you are dating men or women, it's a whole new ballgame than when you and I were young. I'm 53, widowed, and trying to figure out WTF I'm doing, myself. Good luck, mate.

Reactions: Gj816 and BillM

ohiorod

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
David, welcome to LPSG! I think you have gotten some excellent advice thus far, but I will add one piece: Beware of your alcohol intake while there. Alcohol gives one courage and lowers inhibitions. If you have been indulging much or see yourself in my admonition, be careful, you may continue to make things worse for all concerned,

My heart goes out you. First
Loves and first crushes can be devastating when they don’t proceed as desired,

Good luck to you!

Reactions: Gj816 and BillM

SadDavid

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
We all have only “One Chance at a First Impression.”

Admittedly, yours did not go well and that is, for all intents and purposes, “Water Under the Bridge.”

If you “Put Yourself in His Place”, and look at your attempts to engage him, you might see from his perspective, and better understand him.

David, the hardest part… You already know what you need to do; It’s time to accept that no matter how much you are drawn to him, he does not feel the same.

Realizing that is hard, I know. Accepting that is devastating… but you must. He’s a barman; it’s his job to be friendly and pleasant with everyone. If he had an interest he would have picked up on the vibes.

David, my heart breaks for you, because your heart is crushed. Please allow yourself to grieve for the period of time your heart needs. If you continue to desire more from him than he's willing to give, your heart will not heal.

David, you’re a new member here and there are a LOT of people willing to go thru this with you. As you already have, pour out your heart and be amazed at the support you’ll receive! Yeah, We Care!

(My apologies for all the cliché. However, there’s a reason they exist; They are a “Fact of Life.”)

SadDavid

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I feel your pain. I have seen other guys come out late, and there's no handbook for how to start dating cold. What is an acceptable approach to one person can be offensive to another. I've ruined so many opportunities with the wrong approach, even when I've known they were interested.

The "she" that he was referring to may have been the bar manager. They might be involved, or the manager might be wanting to be involved, so your crush would have to be careful that his job isn't on the line for flirting with you. Ultimately, trying to pick someone else up at their place of employment is usually not a good idea for many reasons. Bartenders work for tips, so they have to be friendly. If they aren't interested it starts to get a sexual harassment vibe. I know that this puts you in an awkward place, because work's where you see him.

If you are getting frustrated, it might be time to stop going to the bar for awhile, and seeing where life places you. It could be a timing issue. Even if he's Mr Right, he might not be Mr Right now. Life has a funny way of throwing people together if they are meant to be.

I wish you well on your quest. Whether you are dating men or women, it's a whole new ballgame than when you and I were young. I'm 53, widowed, and trying to figure out WTF I'm doing, myself. Good luck, mate.

SadDavid

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Thebiggulp, thank you for your feedback. The "she" thing is a mystery, but as there is a female manager there, perhaps that is part of the mess. And perhaps, Mr. Right is not Mr. Right now, as you say. Thanks again for your support, and I wish you well on your journey also.

SadDavid

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
David, welcome to LPSG! I think you have gotten some excellent advice thus far, but I will add one piece: Beware of your alcohol intake while there. Alcohol gives one courage and lowers inhibitions. If you have been indulging much or see yourself in my admonition, be careful, you may continue to make things worse for all concerned,

My heart goes out you. First
Loves and first crushes can be devastating when they don’t proceed as desired,

Good luck to you!