Saddam's aides convicted of murder

Discussion in 'Politics' started by dong20, Mar 11, 2009.

1. dong20

Gold Member

"Iraq's highest court has sentenced Tariq Aziz, the former deputy prime minister, and Ali Hassan al-Majid, a power-broker in Saddam Hussein's government, to 15 years in jail.

The pair were convicted in Baghdad, the capital, on Wednesday of crimes against humanity in regards to the killing of 42 Baghdad merchants in 1992."

Al Jazeera English - Middle East - Saddam's aides convicted of murder

Two of Saddam's half brothers were sentenced to death, and one of his cousins (former defense minister Ali Hassan Al Majid) commonly known as 'chemical Ali' sentenced to 15 years for their part in the crime. Hussein's secretary was jailed for life.

Aziz had been earlier acquitted on other charges in relation to massacre of Shiites in Baghdad in 1999. Having escaped a potential execution, Aziz is set to appeal ... claiming political bias.

#1 dong20, Mar 11, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2009
  2. B_starinvestor

B_starinvestor New Member

Nice to see justice being carried out. Good news to the families of the victims.

Probably shocking news to the bleeding-heart libs that insist Iraq was a peaceful and harmonious 'western-style' government before the US intervened.

3. dong20

Gold Member

Better late than never.

Here's a chance to back up that assertion, find and cite a single post which said that unconditionally (if at all).

I was a little surprised that no-one commented on this before now, it was an opportunity to make some limited hay - perhaps they're all too busy insulting each other (or Obama) over the economy.

On that theme, who knew that the LPSG played host to so many world class 'experts' in economics. Self styled 'experts', of course. :rolleyes:

4. B_starinvestor

B_starinvestor New Member

three days ago in the shoe thrower thread [WillTom]

"Saddam saw himself as a social revolutionary and a modernizer, following the Nassar model. To the consternation of Islamic conservatives, his government gave women added freedoms and offered them high-level government and industry jobs. Saddam also created a Western-style legal system, making Iraq the only country in the Persian Gulf region not ruled according to traditional Islamic law (Sharia). Saddam abolished the Sharia law courts, except for personal injury claims."

There are hundreds more, but i don't have the time or inclination to dig them all up.

5. dong20

Gold Member

Nonsense, Willtom wrote no such thing. I know you didn't directly say he did, well done on that. But the simple fact that you conveniently omitted that fact in the context of what I'd asked you to do says even more about you.:rolleyes:

Willtom cited a Wikipedia article to counterpoint an assertion of your own. Even had Willtom written it, I don't see the words 'peaceful' or 'harmonious'. I have no idea if he agrees with the statements expressed therein, you'll need to ask him that. Somehow, I doubt you will.

I have not read the rest, so I can't say if it went on to desribe some of the unsavoury aspects of Saddam's regime. I suspect not, which may have been the reason he cited it, as an example of denying the whole picture.

You, on the other hand, merely attempted to morph it into something else. Worse, you then sought to foist this ersatz stance upon others.

Such a pathetic attempt doesn't even meet the bar for the one example I sought - and worse, it wasn't even written by the person to whom you like us to believe wrote it! How you can then assert the existence of hundreds of similar posts expressing such sentiments is quite incredible, and yet entirely unsurprising.

I'd give you the benefit of the doubt and believe you simply misread it, but since you later referenced his reference to it, we know this isn't the case and that you are simply being duplicitous. Would you like to try again?

Or, perhaps you have other things on your mind and I don't want to keep you, shouldn't you be polishing your rhetoric for the Mad Hatter's tea party.

6. dong20

Gold Member

What on earth - are you drunk again? It's a bit early so perhaps it's your writing 'style'?

7. B_Nick4444

B_Nick4444 New Member

context sir, context!

as usual, the lib statement by Wiltom implied a fair trial could have been obtained at the hands of the Iraqi regime under Hussein, countering what Star was stating:

Let's return to what you wrote again:

"Under the Hussein regime he would have been slowly beheaded with a carving knife"

Please justify this statement.

Thus, Master Will was ignoring the long sad history of the cruel and arbitrary administration of law under Hussein

In an attempt to excoriate G W Bush's intervention and regime change,

With the same level of effusiveness that Columbia University excoriated the ROTC's exclusion of gays, and at the same time celebrated the Iranian President, ignoring the murders and persecutions of gays in that country

This points out the general lib practice of ignoring facts, to reach the conclusion required by lib ideology

(you actually needed that spelled out?!?!)

8. dong20

Gold Member

I'm aware of the context, I was asking for a citation made by a poster expressing a view that Star said had been made. He failed and lied in his attempt. OK, misrepresented.

Very nice. But I didn't write it.:rolleyes:

Again I must ask, have you been at the sauce so early on a Sunday?

9. B_Nick4444

B_Nick4444 New Member

'fraid so

ta! ta!

10. midlifebear

Gold Member

At least we must respect Nick of the Fours and Starinvestor for publicly admitting they have drinking problems. The next hurdle is getting them to voluntarily seek help from an appropriate 12-step program. Shrinking intellects are such terrible things to waste. :cool:

11. dong20

Gold Member

Ah Nick, on this, as on so many subjects, you are sadly mistaken. Cite the post where I wrote:

""Under the Hussein regime he would have been slowly beheaded with a carving knife"

Please justify this statement."

Other than this one of course.

Also, cite the post(s) where I agreed with Will (whatever it is you think he was saying), cite the post(s) where I suggested that Iraq under Saddam was a land of milk and honey and finally, cite the post(s) where I suggested Saddam's Iraq followed a western style goverment, filled with peace and harmony.

Good luck on that.

Of course I know you won't, not only because you can't, but because you're too spineless to stand behind your accusations - and too weak to apologise for failing to do do.

Meanwhile, enjoy the party, you should fit right in. :wink:

12. B_Nick4444

B_Nick4444 New Member

my good fellow, you really should learn to follow along

"fraid so" was in response to your query about my morning libations -- nothing more, nothing less

(the quote, likewise, was a quote of Master Will, again, nothing more, nothing less)

as for the apology -- I'm sorry you can't follow along

(hope that concludes the posting on this thread!)

13. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    It looks like the best Nick could do with a drunken sailor is offer him another drink. Mr Dong's logic has obviously flown like a 767 over his head.

14. B_Nick4444

B_Nick4444 New Member

good reason for Nick to excuse himself from the thread, then!

toodles!

15. HazelGod

Gold Member

Albums:

Which libs would you be referring to here, 'festor? The ones made of straw that you continuously trot out as the antitheses of your far-right ravings?

And by "US intervention", would you be evoking our nation's putting Saddam into power, or removing him from it so many years later?

16. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    Ciao for now, sweetlips.

#16 Bbucko, Mar 16, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2009
Draft saved Draft deleted