Safest places for women to live

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by Ethyl, Mar 22, 2007.

1. Ethyl

Gold Member

Albums:
    My new job fell through and i've decided to throw out my resume to the wind and see where it will lead me. Unless I get lucky soon, the opportunities in my area are few, thus the great possibility of relocation is welcome, even if it means jumping over the pond. That said, i've been researching the safest areas in other countries for single women to live but finding solid information is trickier than I expected.

Some countries/regions should obviously be avoided like certain Middle East and Columbia, but i'd like to hear from those who have traveled far and wide. What are the safests areas in other countries you've explored and what areas should a single woman avoid?

2. swordfishME

swordfishME Member

Why do you feel that you need to avoid the ME? This is one of the safest aeras for women to live anywhere in the world. By safety, I am assuming you mean that you do not want to be robbed, raped or killed. The MEastern countries have the lowest crime rates anywhere in the world and as long as you are planning on living a decent live (i.e: not looking to be make a living providing sexual services) you will be much more safer here than most places in the west.

3. Ethyl

Gold Member

Albums:
    That's why I mentioned certain areas. Egypt and Jordan are probably fine, unlike Iraq or Sudan. But that's why I threw the question out for discussion. I'm looking for specifics and since you're a resident, you would know better than most. Anything you can tell me would be much appreciated.

4. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

5. DGirl

Gold Member

ha ha!!
    I was going to put Hawaii.." I walk home or ride my bike home most nights. I also can say Japan is pretty safe. People are up until 3 and 4 am at the arcades PLAYING.." I was one of them........:tongue:

6. Principessa

Gold Member

I did a semester in Cortona, Italy in grad school and loved it! As a matter of fact though retirement is many years off; I am thinking of spending my golden years there.

Tuscany can be bitter cold with snow in the winter; but the summers are much like the mid-atlantic states minus the humidity. The people are quite nice and English is spoken almost everywhere.

7. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

The safest place for you would be on my lap. Facing me. Naked. Wet...

8. Ethyl

Gold Member

Albums:
    Thanks. I found a similar list on Fortune magazine's website. I just found this UN survey report on crime rates. According to this, Portugal is the safest country in the world. I know some Spanish but Portugeuse is a bit more difficult to pick up...

With Dog the Bounty Hunter around, i'd feel safe too. :biggrin1: Springtime in Japan viewing the cherry blossoms? I'm all for it.

9. AlteredEgo

Gold Member

Albums:
    That's a good point. What languages do you speak?

10. Ethyl

Gold Member

Albums:
    I could pretend to be Frances Mayer, scrape together a few bucks, buy a villa and a vineyard. :tongue: Climate is a huge factor for me. If it weren't, i'd move to Canada or Sweden.

Do I get Medical and 401K as well as Dental? :tongue:

11. Ethyl

Gold Member

Albums:
    Some Spanish, which has improved over the last year because my boss is from Argentina, piss-poor high school French, and a few Italian phrases. I'll be one of those typical Americans constantly thumbing through a pocket language dictionary if I go to Japan or Eastern Europe. :rolleyes::biggrin1:

12. AlteredEgo

Gold Member

Albums:
    My cousin moved to Paris, and loved it. She had no one there at the time. Same for Brussels. She now lives in France, on the German border, and commutes into Germany for work daily.

13. WildHoney

Gold Member

How about Australia , we came second on the list.

We travel extensively ( at least twice a year) and I have never felt more safe than when I am here.

Plus we have some pretty good weather, nice beaches, and a fairly progressive society.

Too far ?? :)

x

Honey

14. JMeister

JMeister Member

What do you do for work? The reason for asking is the Greek Islands (Mykonos, Santorini) seemed pretty safe to me when I was vacationing there but I am not sure there is a huge amount of work there.

I suspect small islands in general are pretty safe because there's not a lot of opportunity to fade away once you've committed your crime.

15. B_ScaredLittleBoy

B_ScaredLittleBoy New Member

I live in the friendliest town in the UK! I'd be happy to 'accomodate' you. Would you do the same for me? :tongue: hehe.

And if you're staying stateside, don't go to LA!

16. B_Hickboy

B_Hickboy New Member

Yes! And oral. And anal.

17. Ethyl

Gold Member

Albums:
    Is there a co-pay on those mammograms and ob-gyn exams, Dr. Hick?

18. Ethyl

Gold Member

Albums:
    Must factor in sunlight/climate. I can't live somewhere dark and gloomy. Pittsburgh winters drove me to the brink of insanity. I've thought about moving back to Chicago but if I do, i'm purchasing a UV lamp. As they say, i'm seasonally affected.
    I've become quite fond of the east coast topography and climate. The weather in Delaware is moderate due to the closeness in proximity to the coast. Simply put, i'm spoiled.

19. AlteredEgo

Gold Member

Albums:
    There are small islands on this side of the Atlantic. MB would have to be nuts to move o any of those if her safety is a priority. Having never been to Greece, I trust your assesment of the place. I only warn you against your line of reasoning.

20. quercusone

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Spoiled by east coast weather...wow! You want sunshine and warmth....move to Texas!...OK....not the safest place, statistically speaking, but you can carry your own gun here. How much safer do you want?....k....prolly not very convincing.....think about nekid pics wearing only your gun holster....with a big magnum 45 sliding into that holster......did I mention our 60 deg and sunshine January days?

Actually, in the US I'd move to Portland, Or. Overseas...Copenhagen....I love Copenhagen!

Draft saved Draft deleted