Salary survey site: check it out.

D_Kaye Throttlebottom

Experimental Member
Media
Are you interviewing for a job? or making a career move and want to know what your skill set is worth to a potential company? You can plot your salary against other profiles of people that have the same number years experience, job title, education, size of company and benefits.

PayScale - Salary Survey, Salaries, Wages, Compensation Information and Analysis

plug in all the info about you. You don't even have to create a profile to get an idea of what you are paid against others, you can click "no thank you"

I used it to negotiate with my HR to counter-offer what the other companies were offering me to leave. I also used the average salary range in the job market to bid on positions that I was interviewed for (plus more to compell me to leave my company).

I'm getting a 25 percent raise out of the data I got from this site.

Check it out.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I used it to negotiate with my HR to counter-offer what the other companies were offering me to leave. I also used the average salary range in the job market to bid on positions that I was interviewed for (plus more to compell me to leave my company).

I'm getting a 25 percent raise out of the data I got from this site.

Check it out.
Wow, a 25% raise! :eek: You really can work it girlfriend.

D_Kaye Throttlebottom

Experimental Member
Media
I prefer this one, that one seemed too close to building your profile, even though they leave you an out with the "no thank you".

Salary.com Job salaries- Performance reviews- Compensation software

Yeah, but that site, doesn't specify how long you've had that job title. It just generates a bell curve. A program manager on a small company will get a smaller salary, then one at a larger company. It also doesn't break down, the degrees or years in to that job title. So you get a bell curve, but it's ambiguous as hell. The site I picked does build a profile, but you click "no thankyou" and then it searches for anonymous profiles or profiles for people that opt to make an account and they are just searching on job title, years experience, company, degrees and salary. They plot a data line of salaries and you see where you fit with your peers in the job market and it's a true measure of your salary against someone else with the same skillset. It's not going to compare you to someone with 3 years experience, if you've got 12.

Last edited:

D_Kaye Throttlebottom

Experimental Member
Media
Wow, a 25% raise! :eek: You really can work it girlfriend.
not cause I can work it. I found out I was being underpaid by 6 percent unfortunately. I had interviewed with 2 companies outside of my current one and asked them for the average salary for someone with my years experience plus 5 percent (the risk to leave my company). Then a new project in my company opened up and I told them I had talked to others. When they offered 8 percent from where I was at - I asked them to match the other company's offer to me. They did it the next day.

It's weird, I never thought to ask someone for a raise. Something about defending my worth. Yet it was a lesson learned for me. I was only underpaid by 6 percent. I hear from girlfriends that found out they are 15, 16 percent below the average. :eek:

Last edited:

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
not cause I can work it. I found out I was being underpaid by 6 percent unfortunately. I had interviewed with 2 companies outside of my current one and asked them for the average salary for someone with my years experience plus 5 percent (the risk to leave my company). Then a new project in my company opened up and I told them I had talked to others. When they offered 8 percent from where I was at - I asked them to match the other company's offer to me. They did it the next day.

It's weird, I never thought to ask someone for a raise. Something about defending my worth. Yet it was a lesson learned for me. I was only underpaid by 6 percent.
I have only done that once and I garnered a 9.5% raise. I was quite proud of myself for speaking up. At the time I thought what are they blind morons? Can't they see how hard I work and how much money I bring in here.

I hear from girlfriends that found out they are 15, 16 percent below the average. :eek:
I hate to go off topic, but that's when I become a feminist or an activist or whatever you wantto call it. Equal pay for equal work.

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Yeah, but that site, doesn't specify how long you've had that job title. It just generates a bell curve. A program manager on a small company will get a smaller salary, then one at a larger company. It also doesn't break down, the degrees or years in to that job title. So you get a bell curve, but it's ambiguous as hell. The site I picked does build a profile, but you click "no thankyou" and then it searches for anonymous profiles or profiles for people that opt to make an account and they are just searching on job title, years experience, company, degrees and salary. They plot a data line of salaries and you see where you fit with your peers in the job market and it's a true measure of your salary against someone else with the same skillset. It's not going to compare you to someone with 3 years experience, if you've got 12.

Well, without a doubt, when they ask you those questions, when I entered my current salary, they wanted to know the employer's name (but not required), it also asked specifically whether the number I entered was true/exact. At the very least, that website you provided may be able to track your IP address for their own purposes. The salary.com website may be more general, but the one you used actually builds your resume. For the IT job I filled out, it asked for certifications and so on. Granted those are questions that are required for a more detailed analysis, but it also builds your profile for them.

Just to prove it to you, I just clicked on your link using the same computer I used earlier today, they want me to complete my profile/data survey, I even had to edit out some of the information and links for personal reasons, even edit the links of the cut and paste here, because they take you to those links, I'm going to delete that survey:

Database Administrator (DBA), Miami

1 Years Experience, Healthcare ()

• Complete Your Job Profile

Please complete your job profile to view your salary report.

JobDatabase Administrator (DBA) Job LocationMiami, Florida, United States Employer's Product/BusinessHealthcare Years In Field/Career
Salary (Annual)$ StatusIncomplete () PayScale - Salary Survey, Salaries, Wages, Compensation Information and Analysis PayScale - Salary Survey, Salaries, Wages, Compensation Information and Analysis

PayScale - Salary Survey, Salaries, Wages, Compensation Information and Analysis Would you like to save this report?

Last edited:

D_Kaye Throttlebottom

Experimental Member
Media
Well, without a doubt, when they ask you those questions, when I entered my current salary, they wanted to know the employer's name (but not required), it also asked specifically whether the number I entered was true/exact. At the very least, that website you provided may be able to track your IP address for their own purposes. The salary.com website may be more general, but the one you used actually builds your resume. For the IT job I filled out, it asked for certifications and so on. Granted those are questions that are required for a more detailed analysis, but it also builds your profile for them.

Just to prove it to you, I just clicked on your link using the same computer I used earlier today, they want me to complete my profile/data survey, I even had to edit out some of the information and links for personal reasons, even edit the links of the cut and paste here, because they take you to those links, I'm going to delete that survey:

Database Administrator (DBA), Miami

1 Years Experience, Healthcare ()

• Complete Your Job Profile

Please complete your job profile to view your salary report.
JobDatabase Administrator (DBA) Job LocationMiami, Florida, United States Employer's Product/BusinessHealthcare Years In Field/Career
Salary (Annual)$ StatusIncomplete () PayScale - Salary Survey, Salaries, Wages, Compensation Information and Analysis PayScale - Salary Survey, Salaries, Wages, Compensation Information and Analysis

PayScale - Salary Survey, Salaries, Wages, Compensation Information and Analysis Would you like to save this report?
Dude you're paranoid. You can answer "no" or "yes" and it will say "anonymous"

They ask you for your company name - because they are looking for other companies or others employed by that company (size, genre) similar to yours and your job title and background, school to plot what you make against what they make.

It's just a site that I came across. You can take the red pill or the blue pill, but if you're going to criticize what you think *might* happen, when you enter your info - you're doing it from a place of ignorance. I don't enter my name and I hit "no thanks" on the profile stuff. I plot out the salary plot - end of story.

Meniscus

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
My job is so esoteric that it was difficult to even find anything that related to it. Oh well...

I had the same problem, but I tried it anyway. If the salary calculator is correct--which I doubt, because there were too many variables for which there was no correct fit--I'm being underpaid by at about 33% Salary.com was worse, indicating I'm being underpaid by almost 60%.

I really have no idea how to accurately assess whether or not my salary is fair.

red7.5

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Thanks for the link.

I work in the nonprofit field and the companies that gather information on salaries and earnings, like GuideStar, charge a hell of a lot for very similar info (albeit with larger sample sizes). The results shown by PayScale jibe with the numbers my organization paid nearly $1000 for when the Board recently looked at my salary.

red7.5

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
'm being underpaid by at about 33% Salary.com was worse, indicating I'm being underpaid by almost 60%.

Oh yeah, I forgot - I only earn about 20% of what I should be earning according to Salary.com.

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Dude you're paranoid. You can answer "no" or "yes" and it will say "anonymous"

They ask you for your company name - because they are looking for other companies or others employed by that company (size, genre) similar to yours and your job title and background, school to plot what you make against what they make.

It's just a site that I came across. You can take the red pill or the blue pill, but if you're going to criticize what you think *might* happen, when you enter your info - you're doing it from a place of ignorance. I don't enter my name and I hit "no thanks" on the profile stuff. I plot out the salary plot - end of story.

Not paranoid, at the very least, the IP address can be tracked, even anonymously, it's a household survey of income. Let me ask you how a web site can offer such a service for free ? Because they sell it to others and get advertising.

About PayScale - Compensation Data, Company Information

Salary.com may or may not sell back their data/information, but then again, I've never been asked where I work specifically or my exact salary when searching their database. I don't doubt that the more advanced report requests more specific data, but the alternative is the free version. The best they can do there is assume you are employed in the profession and location selected. Payscale.com has a number, a hard coded explicit number put into their form. Try it, put a nice rounded number into the form, $50,000 even and it comes back with a pop up implying the number is too squared up/rounded off and vague. Asks you if the number you entered is true.