Same Sex Marriage NBC Wall St Journal Poll

D_Pubert Stabbingpain

Account Disabled
Media
March 2004
30% Favor Allowing, 62% Oppose
Oct 2009
41% Favor Allowing, 49% Oppose

Do you suppose that in another 6 years the Favor Allowing will tip 50%?
Because people will really change their minds or, the people opposed will have died and for young people it really is not an issue or, because the country will be so screwed up in other areas by then that no one will care?
Or, perhaps the polling itself is screwed and the sample is flawed?

Zeuhl34

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think it's reasonable to believe the percentage not against (both pro-gay marriage and neutral toward the issue) could top 50% in a few years.

MercyfulFate

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
It will change over time, absolutely. More people will come to realize opposing gay marriage is silly and come around. The poll could show another set of numbers if worded slightly different. "Do you favor allowing same sex marriage?" versus "Do you think same sex couples should be able to marry?" and things of that nature.

However I ignore the majority of polls, they can be twisted into anything the polltaker wants. I'm not saying that's what this is, but it's a general thought I have on the subject. If you word things the right way, people can create a poll saying "Should dihydrogen monoxide be banned?" and most people would say yes.

Of course it's an old trick, and people would be actually wanting to ban water, but you get the point.

Last edited:

blg3floor3

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm still in disbelief that there are that many scared, paranoid, ignorant and close minded people out there. I really thought we'd progressed farther than that, but I guess I'm naive. I'd like to see evidence from those who are against it about how exactly same sex marriage threatens them, their life, their liberty, their property, and their legal rights. I want PowerPoint slides, flow charts, graphs, evidence logs, controlled research studies and everything.

I guess it's just going to take time for people to come around, like other civil rights issues.

Keep in mind that The Wall Street Journal is now owned by Rupert Murdoch, the owner of Fox News.

D_Pubert Stabbingpain

Account Disabled
Media
It will change over time, absolutely. More people will come to realize opposing gay marriage is silly and come around. The poll could show another set of numbers if worded slightly different. "Do you favor allowing same sex marriage?" versus "Do you think same sex couples should be able to marry?" and things of that nature.

However I ignore the majority of polls, they can be twisted into anything the polltaker wants. I'm not saying that's what this is, but it's a general thought I have on the subject. If you word things the right way, people can create a poll saying "Should dihydrogen monoxide be banned?" and most people would say yes.

Of course it's an old trick, and people would be actually wanting to ban water, but you get the point.

Very good points and excellent examples.

D_Pubert Stabbingpain

Account Disabled
Media
Keep in mind that The Wall Street Journal is now owned by Rupert Murdoch, the owner of Fox News.

TV news should be forced to practice responsible journalism by revealing such information. Unfortunately, TV news has never been responsible, favoring instead the typical teasing with headlines designed to keep the viewer tuned in order to sell more advertising. Sons 'a bitches!

March 2004
30% Favor Allowing, 62% Oppose
Oct 2009
41% Favor Allowing, 49% Oppose

Do you suppose that in another 6 years the Favor Allowing will tip 50%?
Because people will really change their minds or, the people opposed will have died and for young people it really is not an issue or, because the country will be so screwed up in other areas by then that no one will care?
Or, perhaps the polling itself is screwed and the sample is flawed?

It's amazing to us Canadians that this is still an issue in the U.S. We legalized same sex marriages ages ago under a Liberal gov't. When the Conservatives came to power about 4 years ago, they had a vote on repealing same sex marriage, but the vote was in favour of allowing same sex marriage to continue. I don't think it has been an issue ever since at least where the gov't in concerned. There are far more important things to worry about such as the economy, crime, and Canada's military role in Afghanistan.