Sanctity of Marriage?

Discussion in 'Relationships, Discrimination, and Jealousy' started by tbnd_95678, Sep 26, 2008.

1. tbnd_95678

tbnd_95678 New Member

Albums:
    Recently, some friends of ours who are in a domestic partnership (they were planning on getting married in the future) have decided to take a break after three years together. Not sure what all of the reasons are behind it, but I believe (in part) that a third party had a hand in the recent relational issues. The third party is 19 or 20 and the couple is in their mid-late 20's. He knew the couple was planning on getting married and (I believe) still took it upon himself to try something.

My question to you all is this: Do you believe people still respect the sanctity of marriage or at the very least peoples' commitment to each other enough to not try and get involved with someone who seems to be in a stable relationship?

2. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
  3. killerb

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    some do, some don't....it seems that a lot of people just want what they want & to hell with the repercussions...

I also do not believe that enough married people respect the sanctity of marriage either...I will never understand the point of getting married when it's clearly not what is truly wanted by both people.

4. kalipygian

Gold Member

Albums:
    That term has been used by the religious right to refer to a quality that in their view their relationships have, and ours do not. Holy Matrimony was defined as a sacrament in the proceedings of the council of Trent.

To answer the question, I have always declined expressions of interest by people who I know are are in a relationship, and rather tried to support the relationship.

5. 8060

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    I'm a big supporter of love. I don't meddle in other people's relationships for the simple fact that I don't want them meddling in mine. I'm not going to say anything to him or her. Let their bliss or their doom be completely on them. On a side note, within the last year, I've watched 3 couples, a husband and wife, get divorced because they couldn't seem to keep "people" out of their relationship/business. It's crazy because before "they let" those outsiders get too damn close, they were happy and on their way to a lifetime together.

Let your relationship be your relationship and not everybody else's.

6. bguy

bguy Member

Are you asking if some people respect it and don't get involved or are you asking if all people respect it and don't get involved?

Yes, there are people who respect a marriage and don't get involved in any way with someone who is married. But there are plenty of people (probably more) who don't. My ex-wife's coworker is one of the latter.

7. marleyisalegend

Gold Member

Albums:
    Some do, some don't. Some people actively seek those who are married and purposefully try to break up the marriage either through lying or by sleeping with the married person.

As far as the people who are actually married, some do it too young, too fast, and don't realize what they're getting into. Lots of people view marriage as fairytale land with bubblegum and rainbows so it's a kicker when they realize there's work involved.

Considering the divorce rate and how many people GLADY sleep with someone who's married, and how many married people gladly cheat on their spouses, I'd say the people who respect marriage are few and far between.

8. houtx48

Gold Member

if it has a dick it can't be trusted.......period end of story

9. allmale

allmale Member

I don't believe its held in a high regard like it used to be, across the board.
    Society and people have changed.
    I think it would be harder when both spouses work and have many more distractions than there used to be.

10. Corius

Corius New Member

COMMITMENT is the key word in this discussion. Western society has long held that the bond of marriage is a lifetime commitment. I agree. As I would not want to be bound to anyone who was willing to cheat, I also assume my partner is of a like mind. It's called honoring one's commitment.

Allowing others, whether that be one's own family or someone who is out to destroy the trust that we assume exists between man and wife, to come between partners is out of bounds in the thinking of most people. Yet, it does happen and often because partners tend to take each other for granted and do not do the necessary things that keep a relationship strong.

11. Principessa

Gold Member

Draft saved Draft deleted