Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I don't know if this was already mention, but anyone get wind of her being investigated for embezzlement? Apparently, they were tip off that her house and the state funding for new building have the same exact material use to build her house. She been under investigation for a year.

Mark_UK

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I have to say, if she's planning to run for President, this might be the best option available. First, let's look at Barack Obama. Even before he ran for President, he was seen around the country giving speeches, talking to party leaders, and putting his name out there. All of that effort paid off in November. Sarah needs to do the same thing, but she's stuck up in Alaska. She would have to spend an entire day flying across Canada for any speaking engagement or meeting. She's going to be a lame duck governor for the rest of her term, so my guess is, she has no interest in continuing to collect a paycheck while she's not doing anything and is barely in her state.

The only problem I can see is the narrative this creates: "Palin is a quitter! She can't even serve out one term!" Some in Alaska might see it as her betraying their trust. They elected her to a full term and expected her to carry it out. From what I can tell, she has left the state in capable hands, and I don't see how finishing the rest of her term would really add to her qualifications.

On the surface, this seems like a terrible move. But people have very short memories when it comes to political events. I can't see this costing her very many votes in 2012 should she decide to run (although my bet is she's going to wait and burnish her policy credentials for 2016 or 2020, allowing Mitt to run virtually unopposed in 2012).

But but she is a delusional moron who how the hell can anyone elect.. oh no hold on ...republicans like their delusional morons don't they?

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I wouldn't be the last bit surprised if Palin re-emerges in 2012 as a potential Presidential candidate. This isn't the last time we've heard of or seen Palin.

I agree. Sarah ain't goin' away.

Palin's clearly an intellectual lightweight but that sure didn't hold GWB back. She's a quick learner, and, more importantly, she's a canny opportunist with a keen eye toward stoking and exploiting populist resentment of ivy leaguers who occupy high office. Given more polish, more practice, and better marketing of her folksy "aw shucks, you betcha" schtick, her appeal to the same mindset of voters who twice elected GWB is potentially formidable.

D

deleted15807

Palin's clearly an intellectual lightweight but that sure didn't hold GWB back. She's a quick learner, and, more importantly, she's a canny opportunist with a keen eye toward stoking and exploiting populist resentment of ivy leaguers who occupy high office. Given more polish, more practice, and better marketing of her folksy "aw shucks, you betcha" schtick, her appeal to the same mindset of voters who twice elected GWB is potentially formidable.

Is she really a quick learner? Did you see that speech? OMG That was pure babble.
Sarah Palin showed on Friday that in one respect at least, she is qualified to be president.

Caribou Barbie is one nutty puppy

As Alaskans settled in to enjoy holiday salmon bakes and the post-solstice thaw, their governor had a solipsistic meltdown so strange it made Sparky Sanford look like a model of stability.

Now, Sarah’s Folly

D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

Experimental Member
Media
A reader wrote this on Andrew Sullivan's blog:

I disagree with one of your readers who asserted that the ability to lie was fundamental to the fundamentalist’s mind. Her {Palin's} appeal has less to do with her personally than with those who follow her. She is simply an attractive empty vessel into which her followers pile grievances. Her followers feel aggrieved, by the government, by the media, by Pelosi and Reid, by the gays, by the greens, and by the ever lurking extreme liberal left. Real or imagined, Palin’s followers view her as a symbol of their world that these lefties have unfairly attacked.

This is why when presented with evidence of her lies, her supporters deflect by citing liberal media bias. They never address the facts because the facts are largely incidental. They immediately point to one of these nefarious forces.

A fairly persuasive theory of leadership called the ‘Social Contagion’ theory, postulates that leadership functions not through the leader but through the followers. Ideas spread like the flu (a contagion) that the followers catch. In order for a movement to break through to a larger audience, the followers require a figurehead. Palin is that figurehead for the aggrieved fundamentalist right.

If it wasn’t her, they’d find someone else. But her carefully constructed physical appearance, which includes her family, makes her figurehead status all the more appealing. She represents the ultimate looking glass self for the fundamentalist right at least in the sense that she looks the part. They ascribe everything else to her whether it fits her or not. That’s why she can say or do anything that she wants because in the end it does not matter to her base.

--------------------

Only Dead Fish Go with the Flow....

Cynthia Tucker, who won the Pulitzer Prize for commentary in 2007, was one of the roundtable guests this morning on "This Week with George Stephanopoulos" (along with George Will who had nothing good to say about Palin).

Cynthia said:

The simple fact of the matter is if Sarah Palin thinks that she's had it tougher than anybody else, she's been more harshly criticized, I have for two words for her: Hillary Clinton. Hillary Clinton was savaged for eight years. There were even jokes about her daughter Chelsea, who was much younger then than Bristol Palin is now. It's not fair, it's not a good part of the political process, but that is the stage. You take a lot of criticism, and quite frankly, women take a lot of criticism. So if she isn't ready for that, then she doesn't need to be playing on the national stage. And if she thinks it's tough being Governor of Alaska, it would be a whole lot tougher being President of the United States....

The one thing that came across, I thought, was not only that she was smarting from all this criticism, but she came across as petty and vindictive. Richard Nixon without the policy knowledge or the experience. And I think that that comes across from her time and time again. And again, if you're not ready to put up with all that criticism and shrug it off, then you don't have any business on the national stage.

Roundtable: Palin's Bombshell - George's Bottom Line

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
D

deleted15807

She is simply an attractive empty vessel into which her followers pile grievances. Her followers feel aggrieved, by the government, by the media, by Pelosi and Reid, by the gays, by the greens, and by the ever lurking extreme liberal left. Real or imagined, Palin’s followers view her as a symbol of their world that these lefties have unfairly attacked.

That definition could go for Bush followers as well. McCain picked her to get those votes. And now we are stuck with Sarah Barracuda. Too bad McCain can't stuff this genie back in the bottle. :rolleyes:

F_Man

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I agree. Sarah ain't goin' away.

Anyone with Palin's limited capacities, ridiculous ambitions and changeable temper, in high power, would pose a threat. The higher the post, the bigger the threat. She belongs next to her kitchen stove, or in a nuthouse. Were she elected president of the USA, the free world should react and remove her from the office, whatever it takes, and lock her up, for the sake of world peace, and general survival. :eek:

SpeedoGuy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Is she really a quick learner? Did you see that speech? OMG That was pure babble.

She's an airhead, no doubt. It should be an embarrassment that a major political party ever put this woman in a position where she could actually have ended up in the Oval Office.

However, with more polish and coaching from pro handlers she'll learn to regurgitate talking points better, stay on message better, and sound more credible to swing voters. She won't bother to become an intellect, of course, because there's no need for that. She'll just sound better.

I fear the left too easily dismisses Palin (or, at least, the red state mindset she represents) at its peril.

Media
Anyone with Palin's limited capacities, ridiculous ambitions and changeable temper, in high power, would pose a threat. The higher the post, the bigger the threat. She belongs next to her kitchen stove, or in a nuthouse. Were she elected president of the USA, the free world should react and remove her from the office, whatever it takes, and lock her up, for the sake of world peace, and general survival. :eek:

Really? Hmm, what is your basis for her belonging next to a stove? I thought the liberals wanted women to be "self-empowered.....independent.....self made". So here is a woman who is that......whoops.....I forgot. She isn't a Democrat, so lets destroy her. And she still has more executive experience than our current president, so perhaps he should be removed.

And honestly I believe that she resigned because of the attacks on her family and children. She probably thought that the press would have afforded her the same respect that it gave Obama and his family. But as we can now see, if you are a Republican you are open to all sorts of insults and sexual jokes against yourself and family. So in my opinion, her family won out over her aspirations for office.

D

deleted15807

I fear the left too easily dismisses Palin (or, at least, the red state mindset she represents) at its peril.

Maybe. But all the demographics say those people who find the Bush/Limbaugh/Palin message attractive are no longer enough to win elections and that is a really good thing. Of course the big thing is the left, even though their policies can hardly be called leftist from a world point of view, has to turn things around in the next 4 years. Even though the current fiasco has been 30 years in the making.

sparky11point5

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Obama has never used his family as political props the way that the Republican Party and Palin have done. The fact there has been some limited exposure of the Obama girls is not at all equivalent to how all the Palin children were used as part of the 2008 campaign.

And, to the fairness issue. It was McCain who told a joke about about Janet Reno being Chelsea Clinton's father. I think it is hypocritical for senior republicans to engage in this sort of *personal* attack ("hehe Chelsea is ugly! Janet is a mannish lesbian!"), and then claim that Palin has been treated unfairly. Personal attacks are bad by either side, and happen in politics.

Palin is just thin-skinned. Yet more proof of her lack of capability, but you blame the media.

And honestly I believe that she resigned because of the attacks on her family and children. She probably thought that the press would have afforded her the same respect that it gave Obama and his family. But as we can now see, if you are a Republican you are open to all sorts of insults and sexual jokes against yourself and family. So in my opinion, her family won out over her aspirations for office.

Media
Obama has never used his family as political props the way that the Republican Party and Palin have done. The fact there has been some limited exposure of the Obama girls is not at all equivalent to how all the Palin children were used as part of the 2008 campaign.

And, to the fairness issue. It was McCain who told a joke about about Janet Reno being Chelsea Clinton's father. I think it is hypocritical for senior republicans to engage in this sort of *personal* attack ("hehe Chelsea is ugly! Janet is a mannish lesbian!"), and then claim that Palin has been treated unfairly. Personal attacks are bad by either side, and happen in politics.

Palin is just thin-skinned. Yet more proof of her lack of capability, but you blame the media.

so you talked with her? You know this how?

Media
Maybe. But all the demographics say those people who find the Bush/Limbaugh/Palin message attractive are no longer enough to win elections and that is a really good thing. Of course the big thing is the left, even though their policies can hardly be called leftist from a world point of view, has to turn things around in the next 4 years. Even though the current fiasco has been 30 years in the making.

The poll I just saw last week is that 40% of the country view themselves as conservative and 20% liberal. The problem with conservatives is that they are letting the media and Democrats label them. I believe that if people really know what conservatism is, they will realize they are also conservatives. Conservatism believes in:

1. personal responsibility. You have a baby, you pay for the baby. Don't expect hard working tax paying people to pay for you and your behavior.

2. People have unlimited potential. Instead of telling them that they are not good enough or cannot make it without things like affirmative action, conservatives believe we should take away the barriers that hold us down. Like exsessive taxes and quotas.

3. Conservatives believe in limited government. The larger government grows, the more it must depend on taxpayer money. Hence, bigger taxes. Instead of government programs, the family and community and private sector should take responsibility for these things. Not government.

That, in a nutshell is what conservatives believe in. And if Republicans get back to those values, then there will be no election they cannot win. Because it is the values of the Founding Fathers. However, if Republicans keep behaving like like Democrats, and don't know what they believe in, then the Democrats will keep winning.

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
so you talked with her? You know this how?
Perhaps because we're rational, intelligent beings possessed of the capacity to critically analyze events and information we observe? The better question would be why you require something so obvious to be explained to you.

Every time I see this insipid pedantry, I'm reminded of the "where is Code Red in the reg manual?" scene from A Few Good Men.
:no:

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
nd honestly I believe that she resigned because of the attacks on her family and children. She probably thought that the press would have afforded her the same respect that it gave Obama and his family.

And if that's the case, then that proves that she's NOT ready for a higher place in government.

But as we can now see, if you are a Republican you are open to all sorts of insults and sexual jokes against yourself and family. So in my opinion, her family won out over her aspirations for office.

One name... Hillary Clinton.
She's received more scrutiny, bastardizing and finger pointing politically than any woman I can think of over the last 10-15 years, ESPECIALLY from the Republican base. And yet, she and her family still moves forward and now she's Secretary of State. You may see Palin's actions as a noble one, however, I see it as cowardly. It's apparent she wanted to be VP and had no problem showing the world her pregnant, teenage daughter and other family idiosyncrasies. Why stop now? Because of the same media that tore apart Hillary Clinton for much less?

If she "cared" about her family and didn't want the world looking at her through a magnifying glass, she wouldn't be in such a volatile business like Politics to begin with.

D

deleted15807

That, in a nutshell is what conservatives believe in. And if Republicans get back to those values, then there will be no election they cannot win. Because it is the values of the Founding Fathers. However, if Republicans keep behaving like like Democrats, and don't know what they believe in, then the Democrats will keep winning.

There is no proof whatsoever those 'values' were nothing more than marketing slogans designed to dupe the masses. They have done nothing to shrink government. The only government they want to shrink is the part that regulates the wealthy and the part that seeks to redistribute income. But the defense department can stay huge, homeland security can stay huge. Lots of lucrative contracts there. If you look at the federal budget the welfare whipping boy isn't even on there in any significant way.

All those 'values' if you look closely are designed to benefit disproportionally the wealthy who fund the right wing propaganda Think Tanks that push this 'message'. Those 'values' by-and-large seek to ensure the old saying 'the rich get richer and the poor get poorer'. Income disparity hasn't been this high since The Gilded Age and that's how the elite want to keep it.

Last edited by a moderator: