Platinum Gold
Cammer
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
The Associated Press: Palin breaks with McCain on gay marriage amendment

So, I would really like to hear from republicans in general, and of course you log cabiners specifically. I've been searching the log cabin site for a reaction to the interview, and nothing. I guess that they are still trying to figure out the appropriate response. So, help educate me on this. And let me go here real quick; yes she is only going to be vice president, but she also believes the VP runs the Senate, and that is where a ban would originate, so please don't go down this avenue for an explanation.

dreamer20

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
The Associated Press: Palin breaks with McCain on gay marriage amendment

Excerpt:
NEW YORK (AP) — Republican vice presidential nominee Sarah Palin says she supports a constitutional amendment banning gay marriage, a break with John McCain who has said he believes states should be left to define what marriage is.
In an interview with Christian Broadcasting Network, the Alaska governor said she had voted in 1998 for a state amendment banning same sex marriage and hoped to see a federal ban on such unions.

GLBT citizens et al, in Wasilla, Alaska discuss Palin:

YouTube - LGBT Alaskans on Sarah Palin

Six of one and half a dozen of the other::rolleyes:

President G.W.Bush's attempt to have his religious based bigotry against gays written into the U.S. Constitution: June 5, 2006:

http://www.lpsg.org/28492-not-over-yet-bush-senators.html

John McCain voted against the amendment, yet that specific 2006 vote was not a pro-gay action on his part. McCain believed that individual states and DOMA's anti-gay discrimination would present sufficient obstacles to same-sex unions. Furthermore he stated if the U.S. Supreme Court should ever reject DOMA as unconstitutional he would vote for that constitutional amendment to ban same-sex unions.

Senator John McCain: A Record of Opposing The Interests of GLBT Americans | 2008 Year to Win | Human Rights Campaign

John McCain possesses the same anti-gay sentiments as Bush. He is against gays adopting children. He voted for DOMA in 1996. He favors the DADT policy. He voted against the Employment Non-Discirmination Act in 1996.

In 2000, while he was running for the Republican presidential nomination against President Bush, Senator McCain endorsed a California ballot measure that blocked the recognition of same-sex marriages.

In 2005 McCain allied himself with the anti-gay Family Research Council and petitioned to have same-sex civil unions banned in his home state of Arizona. His efforts led to Arizona's 2006 the "Protection of Marriage" bill to ban same-sex marriage. McCain supported it but it failed to be passed.

The Family Research Council & Institute claim that the "traditional family" is under threat due to same-sex unions. They object to gays marrying and adopting children as in their opinion virtually all gays are sex-mad perverts. In addition, by virtue of being gay, they are pedophiles, mentally unstable, infected with STDs and quite likely will have sex with their adopted children. They wish to have homosexuality re-criminalized, if they could.

http://www.lpsg.org/1508132-post86.html

1BiGG1

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
"As Governor she issued the very first veto of her administration to block legislation that would have denied state benefits from the same-sex partners of state employees, in direct opposition to her personal beliefs. She justified her veto by saying that she would have violated her oath of office if she’d signed an unconstitutional piece of legislature."

I could care less if same sex couples have the title of “marriage” so long as they have rights. So they end up with civil union as the title = works for me so long as rights are equal.

Calboner

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Governor of Colorado: I believe that I might have come up with a compromise to this whole problem that will make everyone happy! People in the gay community want the same rights as married couples, but dissenters don't want the word "marriage" corrupted. So how about we let gay people get married, but call it something else? [everyone listens quietly] You homosexuals will have all the exact same rights as married couples, but instead of refering to you as "maarriied," you can be... butt buddies. [long silence] Instead of being "man and wife," you'll be... butt buddies. You won't be "betrothed," you'll be... butt buuuddies. Get it? Instead of a "bride and groom," you'd be... butt buddies.

Mr. Slave: We want to be treated equally!

Governor: You are equal. It's just that instead of getting "engaged," you would be... butt buuuddies. And everyone is happy!

Woman: Well, what about lesbians?!

Governor: Well, like anyone cares about fuckin' dykes! [the crowd goes into an uproar] Oh, God, I was sure that would work.
--South Park, season 9, "Follow That Egg"