Sarah Palin: Viable Presidential Contender

Is Sarah Palin a serious option as the GOP pick for president in 2012?

• Yes, she's the fire cracker we all need.

Votes: 12 11.2%
  • No, she's completely unqualified.

Votes: 93 86.9%
  • Don't know. I have to finished reading The Pony.

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Why "they" love her(the vid spaks for itself):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKKKgua7wQk&feature=
They are just like her.

"um... I don't know."
"umm... I don't know too much about that??.."
"ummm.. I never really thought about it"

LOL.. "we need to get the polar bears off the endangered list so we can drill there".

"What are you watching on TV to get that information?" "Well, I watch Fox News. A Lot."

SilverTrain

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Why "they" love her(the vid spaks for itself):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKKKgua7wQk&feature=

Wow. That was exactly what I meant I when I posted this previously:

The most striking thing about Sarah Palin, and the primary reason for her popularity is that she precisely embodies the character and characteristics of her constituency. More than any other candidate I've ever seen, she is her base.

I am horrified by the willfully ignorant, yet unabashedly proud and aggressive "conservative" that makes up the GOP base these days. Palin is indeed the poster child for this "type". And this is why she is so very polarizing.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Wow. That was exactly what I meant I when I posted this previously:

Here's an interesting analysis of Palin's popularity by David Frum, who is very much a conservative (but who sees through Palin's "appeal" and doesn't but it for a second):

Pro-Palin conservatives take it for granted that Palin is immensely popular and that she helped turn around McCain’s staggering campaign. Nothing seems to shake this view: not the polls showing that 63% of Americans say they would “never” consider voting for her, not evidence that McCain’s slide in the polls coincides not with the economic data, but with his choice of Palin as running mate, not Palin’s own precipitous collapse in public approval over the month of October 2008.

(There are a lot of numbers in this last link, but note particularly the CNN polls on the question about whether McCain/Obama/Biden/Palin have the qualities a leader should have. McCain began the fall campaign with 62% thinking him a good leader – and ended with the same 62%. Obama began at 62% and ended at 65%. Biden gained more: from 55% to 67%. And Palin? She plunged from 47% to 37%. By the end of the campaign 63% of Americans said she did NOT have the qualities a president should have.)
And here...

While 33% of men deem Palin qualified, only 24% of women do. 66% of men deem her unqualified – and 74% of women.

Now look just at Republicans: Republican men deem Palin “qualified” by a margin of 60-38. But Republican women? Not even half think she is qualified: only 49%. 50% of Republican women say Palin is unqualified for the job.

If you like Palin – well go ahead. It’s a free country. But quit saying that “the people” love Sarah Palin.

They don’t. Actually, they quite dislike her. The longer they know her, the more they dislike her. And even more than they dislike her, they do not respect her. That reaction of dislike and disrespect is most concentrated among American women.

Sarah’s constituency is a relatively small cohort of conservative men. I offended a lot of these people last week by suggesting that there was some sexual dynamic at work in the enthusiasm for the politician whom Rush Limbaugh used to describe as “Governor Babe.” So let’s put it this way: Whatever impulse it is that so excites Palin supporters, it is not shared by their wives.

FuzzyKen

Expert Member
Media
How many have seen the new book releases regarding Ms. Palin? There are now some ultra conservatives out there who have authored more books taking hundreds of pages to try and disprove what all of us have seen in Ms. Palin. They go on to tell how she was "set up" by the "liberal media" and how she was so horribly victimized by her own brilliance. I have never seen better works of "fiction" in my life! The statements were totally outrageous.

What the conservatives have learned well is that the American Memory is only a couple of years long. They need a "dupe" and in Sarah Palin they have a dupe of a "wet dream" magnitude.

Sad to see so many people so easily mislead.

It was Palin who sank McCain not the other way around. McCain is now considered expendable because of his age. Palin is young enough to be around long enough to end up on the ballot again. This time however she will be well reharsed. What is guaranteed is that she will be painted as a victim, and, she will emerge again to try and make a "come back". The woman is frightening.

SilverTrain

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The woman is frightening.

Well, she's just a narcissistic, self-aggrandizing Diss Queen who covets power, celebrity and the more glittery of their accoutrements. The absolute lack of any inherent intellectual curiosity is compensated for by a dogged determination to do whatever it takes, and a willingness to actually.....do whatever it takes. Oh, and did I mention she's got a knack for the mean-spirited diss? Plus, big tits!

Meh, I've known many of her ilk, as I'm sure we all have. :wink:

It's her followers who I find truly disturbing. They're like lemmings. But with votes. And tv shows.

D_Stanford Dedwillie III

Just Browsing
Media
Well, she's just a narcissistic, self-aggrandizing Diss Queen who covets power, celebrity and the more glittery of their accoutrements. The absolute lack of any inherent intellectual curiosity is compensated for by a dogged determination to do whatever it takes, and a willingness to actually.....do whatever it takes. Oh, and did I mention she's got a knack for the mean-spirited diss? Plus, big tits!

Meh, I've known many of her ilk, as I'm sure we all have. :wink:

It's her followers who I find truly disturbing. They're like lemmings. But with votes. And tv shows.

reminiscent of her political alter ego, who is 'viably' running the country at this moment...sans the big tits.

D_Stanford Dedwillie III

Just Browsing
Media
Did you just compare a guy who taught constitutional law to Palin? surely you must be joking.

To be technical, Palin's resume in politics exceeded that of Obama's at the time of the election. I can rattle off dozens of people I know personally that teach or taught constitutional law. Does that make them great candidates to be CIC?

Do I want Palin in the Oval Office? No.

But I didn't want Obama either.

SilverTrain

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
To be technical, Palin's resume in politics exceeded that of Obama's at the time of the election. I can rattle off dozens of people I know personally that teach or taught constitutional law. Does that make them great candidates to be CIC?

Do I want Palin in the Oval Office? No.

But I didn't want Obama either.

So your frustration explains your decision to resort to a ridiculous analogy.

D_Stanford Dedwillie III

Just Browsing
Media
Well, he's just a narcissistic, self-aggrandizing Egomaniac who covets power, celebrity

and the more glittery of their accoutrements. The absolute lack of any inherent intellectual honesty is compensated for by a dogged determination to do whatever it takes, and a willingness to actually.....do whatever it takes. Oh, and did I mention he's got a knack for the untruth, and a junkie-esque addiction to publicity? Meh, I've known many of his ilk, as I'm sure we all have. :wink:
It's his followers who I find truly disturbing. They're like lemmings. But with votes. And tv shows, and news stations.
Just a few minor modifications (mostly just gender adjustments) and you have the quintessential description of Barack Obama. Particularly the power, celebrity reference.

I don't see much difference in Obama and Palin. Obama sounds smarter and is a better speaker/reader. That's about it. They are both publicity/celebrity, self-promoting blowhards.

SilverTrain

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Just a few minor modifications (mostly just gender adjustments) and you have the quintessential description of Barack Obama. Particularly the power, celebrity reference.

I don't see much difference in Obama and Palin. Obama sounds smarter and is a better speaker/reader. That's about it. They are both publicity/celebrity, self-promoting blowhards.

That's the signpost up ahead. You've just crossed over into The Twilight Zone.

Your desire to be cute has drained all credibility from your posts.

D_Stanford Dedwillie III

Just Browsing
Media
That's the signpost up ahead. You've just crossed over into The Twilight Zone.

Your desire to be cute has drained all credibility from your posts.

I don't know a lot about your posting history or affiliation, but it's not hard to figure out where you stand. What is your assessment of Obama?

If I'm in the Twilight Zone you're in the Olbermann Zone.

I'm offering you my opinion of Palin: poor. And of Obama: poor. It appears you are cheering from the 'my team is good, your team sucks' student section.

B_jeepguy2

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
if i were guessing today the gop candidate would be Romney but we're still two years away. I'd say probably Palin is a non issue.

Romney doesn't stand a chance because the vast majority of the religious right wing of the Republican party think the LDS church is a cult...and Romney is a Mormon. Agree Palin is a non-issue... she cost McCain the presidency.

I think Virginia Governor elect Robert McDonnell is someone to keep an eye on for 2012. In Virginia the governor cannot run for re-election so he is going to be looking around for a new job anyway, and his conservative credientials are impeccable! By then Obama will have F-ed up so bad that a conservative Virginia governor with a solid military background will easily win by a landslide.

Last edited:

SilverTrain

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I don't know a lot about your posting history or affiliation, but it's not hard to figure out where you stand. What is your assessment of Obama?

If I'm in the Twilight Zone you're in the Olbermann Zone.

I'm offering you my opinion of Palin: poor. And of Obama: poor. It appears you are cheering from the 'my team is good, your team sucks' student section.

Bollocks.

You took the common, but nonetheless outrageous step of equating Sarah Palin's fitness for office, with that of Barack Obama's. Only someone absolutely ignorant or a desperate partisan undertakes that mission.

Saying you think they're both "poor" does not excuse the ridiculousness of the analogy.

She's defiantly, proudly ignorant. He's highly educated and intellectually curious.

And this is the last of this for me, this evening.

Adieu.

B_VinylBoy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
who wants to go to the book store with me and put all the copies of her book in the fiction section? :biggrin:

I would have suggested to put them next to the copies of "See Spot Run" and "Everybody Poops", but we can't assist any politician with indoctrinating our children. :biggrin:

ZOS23xy

Sexy Member
Media
There was a non news item about trying to suggest Sarah Pallid to replace Oprah.....the network was really reaching for something to say. It was really nothing.

Her autobiography will mean about as much as Geraldine Ferraro's in a few years. I keep seeing it in flea markets. Along with the vastly unread books by Rush Limbaugh and Ann Coulter. Most right wing talk radio listeners can't read. They even move their lips when they think.

D_Ivana Dickenside

Sexy Member
Media
I would have suggested to put them next to the copies of "See Spot Run" and "Everybody Poops", but we can't assist any politician with indoctrinating our children. :biggrin:

oh no, they would be much better sitting in the fiction section in the dusty box with the sign that says "buy 2 books and get the 3rd book free." :tongue:

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
McCain Adviser Denies Palin’s Claim She Granted Couric Interview Because She Pitied Couric’s Low Self Esteem

Palin claims in her new book that she agreed to sit down with Couric partly because she felt sorry for her, after senior McCain adviser Nicolle Wallace told her that Couric suffered from self-esteem problems. It’s understandable that Palin would try to deflect blame for the interview: It was a disaster that hastened her unmasking as unqualified for the presidency.

The adviser also provided more details on the strategy the campaign adopted with Palin and the press, saying they feared making her available to groups of reporters because of her incompetence.

“She lacked the knowledge base to stand in front of the press corps that was traveling with her and answer questions,” the adviser said delicately. “Because of the success of the convention speech, the feeling was that she should be exposed to as many people as possible directly, not through a media filter. The way to do that was to do interviews with the anchors.”

“The truth is, she refused to prepare for the Katie Couric interview,” the adviser continued. “She refused to engage in any preparation. And it was a disaster.”