Sarah Palin with Katie Couric...

Discussion in 'Politics' started by bobabooey69, Sep 25, 2008.

1. bobabooey69

Gold Member

Albums:
    ....epic fail part two!

YouTube - Palin On Foreign Policy

I think she is even wearing an earpiece on her left...and she still sounds like a box o' rocks.

I CANNOT wait for the VP debate...she is gonna get vaporized!:biggrin1:

2. Phil Ayesho

Gold Member

Um- the Air National Guard of Alaska does not do recon missions on Russia activity.
    IT does not do intercepts of over-flights, either.

Those are handled by the feds via NORAD.

She has never MET a Russian... and I doubt she would know a Canadian if one bit her on the boob.

3. B_ScaredLittleBoy

B_ScaredLittleBoy New Member

Fucking hell. She has the vocabulary of a dog turd. And the intelligence of a stale dog turd.

4. Industrialsize

Staff Member Moderator Gold Member

Albums:
    From the transcript. Can someone explain her answer to me?

COURIC: Why isn’t it better, Governor Palin, to spend $700 billion helping middle-class families struggling with health care, housing, gas and groceries? ... Instead of helping these big financial institutions that played a role in creating this mess?
    PALIN: Ultimately, what the bailout does is help those who are concerned about the health care reform that is needed to help shore up the economy– Oh, it’s got to be about job creation too. So health care reform and reducing taxes and reining in spending has got to accompany tax reductions.

5. Industrialsize

Albums:
    from columnist Greg Greenwald of Salon.com(a columnist until now defended Palin against attack!: Kind of says it ALL
    But Sarah Palin's performance in the tiny vignettes of unscripted dialogue in which we've been allowed to see her has been nothing short of frightening -- really, as I said, pity-inducing. And I say that as someone who has thought from the start that the criticisms of her abilities -- as opposed to her ideology -- were much too extreme. One of two things is absolutely clear at this point: she is either (a) completely ignorant about the most basic political issues -- a vacant, ill-informed, incurious know-nothing, or (b) aggressively concealing her actual beliefs about these matters because she's petrified of deviating from the simple-minded campaign talking points she's been fed and/or because her actual beliefs are so politically unpalatable, even when taking into account the right-wing extremism that is permitted, even rewarded, in our mainstream. I'm not really sure which is worse, but it doesn't really matter, because with 40 days left before the election, both options are heinous.
    What seems most likely is that she's perfectly conversant in the exceedingly narrow and parochial range of issues she's concerned herself with as Wasilla Mayor and Alaska Governor -- oil drilling on the North Slope, specific local budget items, corruption issues inside the Alaskan State GOP, and evangelical and religious matters. She really doesn't seem to have any thoughts about anything outside of that -- or if she does, she is suppressing them -- and is thus capable of spouting little more than empty right-wing slogans. That's what makes all the issues raised by the excellent on-scene reporting by Salon's David Talbot more significant than it otherwise might be -- she could be a religious fanatic with an extremist agenda, or a power-crazed, vendetta-fueled, secrecy-obsessed Cheney-ite, or something else altogether. She may not even know what she is, and we're clearly not going to find out.

Correction on Sarah Palin - Glenn Greenwald - Salon.com

6. Industrialsize

Albums:
    I wish I could say I was making this shit up, but I'm not....from the Couric Interview. It's frightening!
    Palin Explains Why Alaska Experience Gives Her National Security Credentials

By Greg Sargent - September 25, 2008, 2:44PM
    CBS News has just posted video of a chunk of Katie Couric's interview with Sarah Palin that will air tonight. It's indescribable. That's not meant as snark. Just try to describe the part where she explains why her experience as Alaska governor gives her foreign policy and national security cred:
    COURIC: Well, explain to me why that enhances your foreign policy credentials? PALIN: Well, it certainly does because our next door neighbors are foreign countries. they're in the state that i am the executive of. And there in Russia --
    COURIC: Have you ever been involved with any negotiations for example, with the Russians?
    PALIN: We have trade missions back and forth. We do -- it's very important when you consider even national security issues with Russia -- as Putin rears his head and comes into the airspace of the United States of America, where do they go?
    It's Alaska, It's right over the border. It is from Alaska, that we send those out to make sure an eye is being kept on this very powerful nation, Russia, because they are right there, they are right next to our state.
    Anyone know what this means? Again, that's not snark. Never mind the image of Putin rearing his head as he floats into Alaskan airspace. Is she saying that American spies who keep an eye on Russia take off from Alaska? And what does that have to do with being Governor of the state?
    What is the woman talking about?

7. lucky8

Gold Member

8. B_New End

B_New End New Member

She just will not back down from one of the most ridiculous assertions of foreign policy authority in history.

9. Industrialsize

Albums:
    I second that..............I can't decide if it's funny or frightening....

10. Calboner

Gold Member

Albums:
    I wouldn't count on it. Your comment presumes that candidates succeed or fail in televised presidential debates according to how good an understanding of the issues they show. It seems to me that "success" in such debates, in the view of the voting public, is decided by who gets off a memorable zinger as against who commits a gaffe or makes a face or sighs at the wrong moment. You have to imagine the viewing public as being like the dog in the Gary Larson cartoon that hears its master's scolding as "Blah blah blah blah Daisy blah blah blah blah blah!" -- only for the name of the dog substitute whatever dumb slogan or quip happens to catch on.

11. Industrialsize

Albums:
    Not this year! Not this time!

12. Notaguru2

Gold Member

I can't believe she hung onto that "experience" of being across the pond from Russia. She almost committed that she has been involved in trade negotiations with Russia... but then faded out of that line of thought. This lady was a gift to Obama. Keep taking skirt...

13. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

New York City, by way of Marblehead, Boston and Ge
    Oh, the black hole that is Sarah's experience. Or, apparently, intelligence.

14. marleyisalegend

Gold Member

Albums:
    It actually HELPS her to be this stupid. To the apolitican 9-5er who turns on the tv during dinner, they don't see ineptitude, they see "their friend" in Sarah Palin, a "real" person, someone they can relate to. I doubt she's the only American who has no fucking clue what the Bush doctorine is. NEVER underestimate the power of large groups of stupid people, they can accomplish many things.

I'd actually call this a win for Palin, she won over a large group of idiots by appearing as stupid as they are. It amazes me how often people ignore the uneducated voters. They're like gremlins, you poor water on one and they multiply.

15. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

How often do we have to hear that Sarah's appeal lies in the fact that voters see themselves in her? :rolleyes:

Frankly she should have spent less time learning to gut moose to feed the family and more studying Political Digest.

16. Phil Ayesho

Gold Member

NORAD has bases in Alaska. About half of our Nuclear armed bombers targeting Russia fly out of Alaskan bases...

And most of our interceptor assets are in those same bases.

We run regular borderline airspace eavesdropping from Alaskan bases... And recently Putin has been Posturing some over-flights of US airspace with some soviet era bombers.

IT is ALL taken care of on the federal level by the Air Force. ALL of it commanded out of NORAD at Cheyenne mountain.

Sarah not only has nothing to do with it...
    She would not even have access to ANY information about it.

17. Calboner

Gold Member

Albums:
    I guess you have to hear it until you understand that this kind of appeal is quite enough to make millions of Americans cast their vote for McCain. Sam Harris seems to me to put the point very well in a piece in Newsweek (I have added the bold type):

The point to be lamented is not that Sarah Palin comes from outside Washington, or that she has glimpsed so little of the earth's surface (she didn't have a passport until last year), or that she's never met a foreign head of state. The point is that she comes to us, seeking the second most important job in the world, without any intellectual training relevant to the challenges and responsibilities that await her. There is nothing to suggest that she even sees a role for careful analysis or a deep understanding of world events when it comes to deciding the fate of a nation. In her interview with Gibson, Palin managed to turn a joke about seeing Russia from her window into a straight-faced claim that Alaska's geographical proximity to Russia gave her some essential foreign-policy experience. Palin may be a perfectly wonderful person, a loving mother and a great American success story—but she is a beauty queen/sports reporter who stumbled into small-town politics, and who is now on the verge of stumbling into, or upon, world history.

The problem, as far as our political process is concerned, is that half the electorate revels in Palin's lack of intellectual qualifications. When it comes to politics, there is a mad love of mediocrity in this country. "They think they're better than you!" is the refrain that (highly competent and cynical) Republican strategists have set loose among the crowd, and the crowd has grown drunk on it once again. "Sarah Palin is an ordinary person!" Yes, all too ordinary.

We have all now witnessed apparently sentient human beings, once provoked by a reporter's microphone, saying things like, "I'm voting for Sarah because she's a mom. She knows what it's like to be a mom." Such sentiments suggest an uncanny (and, one fears, especially American) detachment from the real problems of today. The next administration must immediately confront issues like nuclear proliferation, ongoing wars in Iraq and Afghanistan (and covert wars elsewhere), global climate change, a convulsing economy, Russian belligerence, the rise of China, emerging epidemics, Islamism on a hundred fronts, a defunct United Nations, the deterioration of American schools, failures of energy, infrastructure and Internet security … the list is long, and Sarah Palin does not seem competent even to rank these items in order of importance, much less address any one of them.

18. B_Nick8

B_Nick8 New Member

This was really my point. I wasn't simply being facetious. More often than not, I'm lazy and wait for others to make my points for me, and I should be shot for it.

19. bobabooey69

Gold Member

Albums:
    Well if McCain gets elected, he keels over in his first year in office...they will get Palin...the US will keep it's downward spiral.

Ahmadinejadwas right, the US is pretty much circling the drain....and Palin will the final flush if she ever gets into office...and Americans deserve it for being so epically stupid.

20. tripod

Gold Member

Albums:
    She did poorly and appeals to the dullards and morons of society, of which there seems to be no shortage of in this country...

Draft saved Draft deleted