Saudi 11-year-old marries 10-year-old cousin

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by dong20, Mar 21, 2008.

1. dong20

Gold Member

Digital Journal - 11-year-old Saudi marries his 10-year-old cousin

This used to be comparatively common in many cultures, less so today with increasing urbanisation.

There are still instances occurring in the West, the polygamous practices of Fundamentalist Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints being an example. Rulon Jeffs, the former head of this church was only recently convicted of being an accomplice to the rape of a minor.

Cultural differences and historical precedent aside, this is 2008 and some things are just plain wrong.

2. B_Think_Kink

B_Think_Kink New Member

Is it even possible for them to consummate a marriage that young? Odd... but whatever floats their boat.

3. IntoxicatingToxin

Gold Member

I'm more concerned about the fact that he's marrying his cousin than the fact that he's getting married. It also states that he's marriedhis"unnamed cousin"... does that mean she has no name, or does that just mean that they didn't know her name at the time the article got published?? I hope she has a name... that would bother me too!

4. B_dumbcow

B_dumbcow New Member

Albums:
    No doubt the next headline will be:

"Saudi divorces wife over agrument about who should get the last cookie left in the jar."

5. D_Fiona_Farvel

D_Fiona_Farvel Account Disabled

I'm not sure about the objectivity of WND, but I'll let it go...

In the U.S., as in many countries, people can and do marry their cousins. (Jerry Lee Lewis is a famous (infamous?) example)

Also with parental or court consent, 12 year olds and younger, can marry in the U.S. I think until a fairly recent change in laws it was not unusual for girl in the Ozarks or Kentucky mountains to marry at 12, 13, 14 years old to get out of their families household, and usually to much, much older men. There's a pretty good documentary about the subject.

One thing I can say about the Saudi marriage is at least it is unlikely anyone is getting laid or will give birth anytime soon.

Regarding the genetic issues of marrying family, isn't something similar going on with the pennsylvania dutch? Was it not a significant cause of madness, hemophilia, and sterility in European upper classes into the 20th century?

6. dong20

Gold Member

Based on ...?

Anyway, it wasn't the only source. The conclusions aren't especially radical and the genetic risks of successive generations of 'inbreeding' can speak for themselves - an issue you yourself have raised below. The figures mesh with a 1995 BMJ study, which I imagine we would both consider sufficiently objective.

Yes, although I believe first cousin marriage remains illegal in just under 50% of US states. The US is (I believe) the only western nation with such a restruction. But first cousin marriages wasn't really my concern.

Now we're getting more to it; that child marriage can be a legally sanctioned cover for a wide range of unpleasantness, and I suggested such an instance. Not to mention the equally pertinent concern of whether a 10 year old is really emotionally capable of grasping the concept of marriage as we would. After all, a significant number of adults seem to fail that particular test. It's of even more concern if there's coercion.

So that makes it OK? I'm sure it hasn't escaped your attention that Sex is possible that young or at even younger ages, as for pregnancy - how about in 2 years when it's entirely possible. Would giving birth a 12 or 13 be more acceptable to you? Consider that question in the context of Saudi Arabian law and custom.

Consanguinity has been a part of many, if not most cultures. I've read that globally as many as 20% of couples are first cousins and historically as much as 80% of all marriage has been between first cousins.

There's an approximate 1.5 - 3% increased risk of birth defects for first cousin marriages, or around the same risk as a woman over 40 giving birth. Not that major in isolation but when that is factored into reproduction in small circles such a royalty or isolated or xenophobic communities, over successive generations, it's unlikely to be positive factor.

Draft saved Draft deleted