Sauna at the GYM

lilbear

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I always go naked and carry a towel to sit on. I just moved to alameda and joined a local gym. At this gym, most guys don't even bother to use the locker rooom let alone go in the sauna. A few will use the sauna- most wear shorts or boxers. Again, 90% of the time I have the sauna to myself.

It really does depend on the gym. I use 2 different gyms and I swim at a university. The gym I use near my work is ultra uptight, so I might be a little more covered up there, but not usually - at my age you really don't give a crap what other people think and you chalk up thier prudishness to their own hangups and insecurities. This gym even goes as far as to have a sign up saying to wear a towel or bathing suit in the sauna - and it's in the men's locker room!

The gym I go to in my town is far more relaxed and I strut around naked in the men's locker room from my locker to the shower to the sauna and back. It's a smaller gym and locker room, so it's only about 3 feet from my locker to the open shower, and 3 feet from the open shower to the sauna. It seems pointless to wrap a towel around me to walk 3 feet, and guys are going to see you naked in the shower anyways because it is a gang shower and the entrance to the shower faces the locker room. I usually go back and forth between the shower and sauna about 4 times to cool off.

The university where I swim is a little of both. It has open showers and stalls, so you get some modest guys and some exhibitionists (like me). Since I use the open shower, I don't cover up in the sauna. Everyone has seen the goods in the shower anyways, so it seems pointless to me to cover up. It feels far more comfortable for me to be naked in the sauna than wrapped up in a towel or wearing swim trunks. I do however sit on a towel in the sauna and I always wear rubber sandals for hygenic reasons.

I would say just do what feels right. I admit that sometimes there are creepy guys around, so I may feel a little more inclined to cover up if they are in the sauna with me. Those instances are few and far between.

pronatalist

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Why would you pay for both running your air conditioners in the home and car, and then to use a sauna? Seems a rather obvious contradiction to me. Is it for "the experience?"

Seems to be, after coming out of a building with ridiculously cold air conditioning, and getting into my hot seat hot car, is plenty of "sauna" for me, and I only need that nice warm heat for a minute or so, until the car air conditioner can knock the temperature back down.

I think I may have gone into a sauna some time ago, and didn't stay in there more than a few minutes. Why roast in an oven? Should I carry in one of those cooking thermometer things, that pops out when your oven roast is "done?"

BTW, I have been in a Korean bathhouse before, as an alternative to going to the military shower tent. It's sex segregated or male only, and everybody is naked in there.

Last edited:

paulobr79

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
As has already been said, naked is the best way and sit on a towel. That's how the Finnish do it and they invented it!!

F_Man

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
As has already been said, naked is the best way and sit on a towel. That's how the Finnish do it and they invented it!!

Welcome to Finland Paulo, you'd fit right in:) Sauna and nudity are a relaxed and relaxing easy thing here. That's how -nude & relaxed- you are when you do the sauna with your family or friends, usually no towels to sit on, perhaps some "sit-cloths" that are usually of linen. In public saunas, at the gym saunas, too, the towel to sit on is perhaps a smart idea. All the Finnish hotels have a sauna, and they provide a soft sit-cloth (actually of paper) that you throw away after use.

In old days, people would be born in a sauna, the cleanest place of the farm, and the dead would be washed in the sauna. Between birth and death, being nude in the sauna seems kind of natural:) :smile:

Cheers, FinnMan

Last edited:

I prefer the steamroom as well, but I'll use the sauna if a steamroom isn't available. The university only has a sauna, but my 2 gyms that I workout at have a sauna and a steamroom. I use the sauna only if the steamroom isn't working. It seems that steamrooms are prone to breaking down more often than saunas. One thing I do like about one of my gyms is that in the sauna, you can pour water on the rocks to get some steam. At my other gym you cannot pour water on the rocks or the unit will stop working (there is a sign posted to this effect).

For me, I find both the sauna and steamroom incredibly relaxing, and it helps my muscles recover faster after a hard workout. I also find that using them helps me keep my skin looking clear and healthy (sweating out all of those toxins). After a hard workout, I use either a steamroom or sauna and I finish up with a cool shower. I feel amazingly calm, relaxed and refreshed after that.

Steamrooms and saunas may not be for everyone, but I look for and use gyms that have them. There are some "no-frills" type gyms popping up now that have really cheap memberships, but they do away with amenities such as lounges and protein shake bars, change rooms, showers, steamrooms and saunas. They have no appeal for me because I enjoy using those amenities after a workout. However, I know some guys that use these basic gyms and are happy with them. They just want to have a quick workout and get out ASAP. It's all about the kind of gym experience that you want to have. For me it's my little escape from the world for a couple of hours, 3 times a week. When I'm at the gym, I'm there to relax and forget about the everyday pressures of life. I don't even look at the time when I'm there. I stay and enjoy myself for as long as I want on the gym floor, in the sauna or steamroom and after in the lounge having a protein shake. From using the gym and its amenities regularly, I have dropped a lot of weight (5 pant sizes and 2 shirt sizes) and I sleep better and think clearer. My appetitie has dropped at least 50% and I'm more productive at work. On top of that my sex drive has increased and I have managed to relieve debilitating chronic pain problems I was having in the past. To each their own, but using a gym and its amenities regularly works for me and that's all that matters to me.

open501s

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Have done both a towel wrapped around and nothing just sat on the towel.

I like it better just setting on the towel. The steam feels good all over after pushing your self hard on the weights.

I've seen guys in there with swim suits (wired there isn't a swimming pool at this gym) and in vinyl sweet suits.

thonglife

Experimental Member
Media
I agree. Go nude and take a towel to sit on. I usually take a large wash cloth and sit on that and leave a towel hanging outside. If I'm alone, I'll usually work up a good sweat and than jerk off with my sweat as a lube.

D

deleted213967

I still haven't checked that roll-in-the-snow-fresh-off-the-sauna thing off my list.

You must feel so alive afterwards!

novice_btm

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
I still haven't checked that roll-in-the-snow-fresh-off-the-sauna thing off my list.

You must feel so alive afterwards!
It is AWESOME! Full-body tingling, and you don't really even feel cold, like you think you would. Also, going back into the heat is another rush.

D

deleted213967

It is AWESOME! Full-body tingling, and you don't really even feel cold, like you think you would. Also, going back into the heat is another rush.

I have been to Japanese-style and Russian-style spas where the hot-and-cold experience is encouraged. Steam room to cold plunge and back.

I am still in awe as to why your body responds so well to it.

The only caveat is that I feel so heavenly afterwards that I drive like a fucktard.

Don't let your friends spa and drive!

novice_btm

Superior Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
I have been to ..Russian-style spas...
Yeah, the banyas (баня), where they beat the hell outta each other, whoops I meant "invigorate/stimulate" each other, with birch twigs. :tongue: "It increases circulation." Yuh-huh, you Sadist. :rolleyes:

Don't let your friends spa and drive!
Oh, that's a good one. :biggrin1: Yeah, I'm the same after a massage.

OH, but back on topic, in the LA gyms where I've been in the saunas or steam rooms (single sex/non-coed), guys always wear towels, which they sometimes open, and RARELY, you'll see someone in trunks, or undies.

About_Average

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Yes, wearing a speedo in a sauna is weird, but not as weird as your Pokemon underwear!

:redface: They were actually a joke gift from my bf because he knows I watch Pokemon and have an underwear fetish. He was shocked that they actually fit me. He was even more shocked when I wore them to an underwear party :biggrin1:.

Getting back onto topic, is it considered unsanitary to be dressed in speedos yet not using a towel when sitting down? If so, I'll use a towel to sit on next time I'm in one.

catman

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I use LA Fitness as well and everyone I have been in has a 'must wear clothes' type sign...

that said, if I am coming from swimming, I drop my shorts off (to dry), wrap a towel around me and sit on that... and then depends on the others there...

I have also had a few experiences with low hanging balls hitting hot wood, so be careful...

Not uncommen for men to come in fully clothed to warm/limber up before a workout (esp in the cold winter months).

Have seen a few guys in clothes (long sleeves) working OUT in the sauna to 'lose more weight' (one guy was going into the armed services or something...