Sauna at the GYM

B_asian_zd

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
i feel more comfortable wearing a towel when friends are present but if its a room of strangers, then i would definitely wear nothing (dont care what they might think of me)

B_Rob15

Sexy Member
Media
i feel more comfortable wearing a towel when friends are present but if its a room of strangers, then i would definitely wear nothing (dont care what they might think of me)

This is kind of interesting, I bet you're not alone in feeling that way or doing that. Nudity in front of strangers seems to be easier and more freeing for some guys.

gymfresh

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I use LA Fitness as well and everyone I have been in has a 'must wear clothes' type sign...

Not uncommen for men to come in fully clothed to warm/limber up before a workout (esp in the cold winter months).

Have seen a few guys in clothes (long sleeves) working OUT in the sauna to 'lose more weight' (one guy was going into the armed services or something...

This is the precise opposite of what you see in Europe. The German spas I have been in, including all the hotel spas, have signs strictly forbidding any shorts/trunks/footwear etc in the saunas and steamrooms. It's "Go nude or go home". Many Europeans consider it thoroughly unhealthy to introduce anything other than a freshly washed nude body into the warm environment.
Cross-contamination is not tolerated.

My question here in the US is: what do you do with the towel after a sauna or steamroom use? At that point I consider the towel "used" and I certainly would not use it to dry off with. Yuck. So, is the solution to come into the "wet" area of the locker room with more than one towel? I have done this, and my clean towel(s) get ripped off quickly when I'm in the sauna or steamroom. Hell, I've lost more speedos and trunks that way than I can count, too.

The ideal solution, of course, is the high-end gym where they keep giving you an endless supply of clean, warm towels. But I work out at the Y.

D_Jared Padalicki

Account Disabled
Media
When I use the sauna, I always have two towels with me, one for sitting on in the sauna and one to dry of after using the showers. In most saunas here in Belgium it is forbidden to wear any clothes. You can only bring a towel in to sit on.

Florida Boy

Sexy Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Flip-flops on your feet and a towel around your waist or over your shoulder. shower. The seats will burn your ass otherwise. If it's new you can set the standard. If it isn't new, do it anyway. Others will follow.

jjltnboi

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
in my gym I go naked, just take a towel to sit on and leave the junk out. most older guys do the same. some younger guys go in with shorts. and they look more uncofortable than the guys that are naked. i say naked is best and among men let the junk be free.

When I use the sauna, I always have two towels with me, one for sitting on in the sauna and one to dry of after using the showers. In most saunas here in Belgium it is forbidden to wear any clothes. You can only bring a towel in to sit on.

That's what I do as well.

That's how it should be. My uptight gym has signs up saying wear a swimsuit, but I ignore it. What does it matter if my ass is sitting on a towel or in a swimsuit? It's crazy and completely uncomfortable to sauna/steam in anything else but in the nude.

Spaguy

Experimental Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I agree with those that say to go naked. I also enter naked with a towel wrapped around me. If I'm the only one and it's not busy gym day I sit on the towel and stretch out. If it's a busy day and there is no one in the sauna/steamroom, I sit on the towel leaving it open enough to cover if needed so that if some one in trunks comes in, I'll cover to not make them uncomfortable. If I enter the sauna/steamroom and it's full, I follow the trend. . .if most are hanging out, I do too; if most are covered, I do the same. I went to a spa last week with a coed steamroom and I HATED that I had to have a swimsuit on. It felt so constricted and unnatural.

Hellboy0

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

'Forbidden to wear clothes in a sauna'...I'm coming to Belgium. My kinda folks!

tradefed22000

Sexy Member
Media
I think public nudity, at least for men, regardless of reason is on a rapid decline. I think younger generations of men are increasingly being told from the youngest age that there may be something wrong with their body. Something is not perfect or is different and this is a problem.

I think men are effected by this harder than women because there is such diversity in our private anatomy. For women, they may have large or smaller breasts but it is abundantly obvious looking at them clothed. For men, ours is not so apparent, so it is easier to hide what we have. Given, that many men may be uncomfortable or insecure about their sexual anatomy, why would they be willing to be nude infront of others?

Anyways, I think communal showers in gyms, suanas, nude beaches and things that involve male nudity are going to slowly dissapear in many parts of the United States, in the future.

I know I have a lot of generalizations, but that is my little sociological theory.

LongandBigSub

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
I don't think it's a body issue; instead I think it's a sexuality issue. There has always been a sexuality issue in America, and nude bodies bring up the feeling of sexuality.

At a gym I used to go too, there was a younger guy who would secretly follow me and watch me change. i don't think he saw naked men very often, and when he saw me naked, it gave him a sort of rush with his sexual energy. Yet he acts like a lot of other young people do in the locker room, he does the towel dance, and is very ashamed of being seen nude since it might invite something sexual in someone. He also feel repressed sexually.

As much as I don't like being gawked at, I think this guy represents where a lof of the younger generation are picking up where previous generations could never manage, which is learning to be OK with sexuality, and the feeling it provokes inside us.

That young guy was not comfortable with being gay, and he carries the same beiefs the people of his generation carry, which is to hide your body from other gay predators, when ironically he is one of them. Since he feels deprived of being gay, and can't allow that gay energy to express itself naturally, he becomes almost hungry for any type of sexual stimuloation, which is to sort of hound it from men he sees in the locker room.

But other men should not have any responsibility to make another man comoftable with his sexuality; that is every man's job to do on his own.

So I think what the young generation, or any previous generation should do, is to feel comfortable with being sexual beings. Even if you were to walk around naked in the gym locker room, this does not make you comfortable with your body, instead its about feeling OK with your body, and the sexual energy that comes with it.

But I think a lot of the younger generation are very much set to not change the general attitudes about sexuality and bodies, unless they have too. It also seems that those are gay seem to be the ones are forcing their generation to look in that direction.

D_Diesel Oyl

Sexy Member
Media
My gym in Northern Virginia (Golds Ballston), most dudes are buck naked but carry a towel.

At night, about 8:00, this is a pretty active sauna with dudes strokin each other. A few even go off to the showers together.

bayamon_55

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
i have 2 towels. a regular one for the shower and a smaller hand towel which i use to dry my sweat while working out and then use it on the sauna to sit on. my sauna has marble benches that get quite hot and they burn you ass and your balls if you do not use a towel. sometime when i forget my small towel i take my water bottle and fill it up with cold water in the shower so i can cool off the bench area where i will be putting my butt in. LOL

it is funny how i see people come in the steam room and sauna and sit naked next to me and i do not feel funny. but the guys that come in the steam room or sauna with trunks or underwear on creep me out. it is almost like they are hiding something hedious or something. or they just want to look without sharing. bastards.

catman

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I go to LA Fitness as well...does yours have a big SIGN reading something to the effect of 'must wear clothing'? (ours does)

if I am swimming (board shorts, once in a blue moon a speedo type thing (easier to swim in but damned indecent)...so if coming from the pool I wear my trunks into the sauna (and 9 times out of 10 strip them off, squeeze them off and hang them to dry)

I DO encounter the uptight twits that insist on clothing so I bring a towel but sit on it 'diaper style' so that I can open it up and relax OR fold it back over me...(I don't like wrapping it around as it traps the heat...

we also have a slightly ongoing thing with the mgt- there is a (very bright) light bulb that seems to get unscrewed sometimes :) one very uptight male 'mgr' screws it back in (funny some very nasty letters about his being an ass, stopped it (I strongly suspect he is homophobic)

anyhow, just go with the flow..

I do see, especially in this nasty cold weather) men coming in, in workout clothes to simply warm up/stretch their muscles...

my personal fave is the very muscular types who lie flat on the 'top shelf' and stretch (damn its hard not to stare, or worse, get hard) but...

B_Rob15

Sexy Member
Media
This is the precise opposite of what you see in Europe. The German spas I have been in, including all the hotel spas, have signs strictly forbidding any shorts/trunks/footwear etc in the saunas and steamrooms. It's "Go nude or go home".

Very, very cool.

It's awesome to here about different experiences like these to give some greater perspective.

D_Cock_Hudson

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Whether a sauna is at a gym or elsewhere, I prefer to be naked in one. I think it is the only comfortable way to have a sauna. Fortunately I have a sauna I can use near to where I live, and the opportunity to visit some in Europe, all of which are mixed and naked.

jockmaestro

Loved Member
Media
There is one and only one way to use a sauna: naked. Sit on a towel and let your cock and balls hang. If it's not a terribly progressive place, just do it naturally and don't start jackin off or anything... unless it's that kinda place. Believe me, men who use saunas are often looking to check out other guys. It's only natural.
I've had a lot of sex and jacking off in saunas over the years. it's totally hot.