Sauna query

chrisrobin

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I remember hearing one time that in the sauna if you were hanging out in the private booths either lying face down or lying face up with the door open it had meaning? Is that true?
I would presume so.
In The old YMCA's all over when the cubicle door was left open it was an invitation to look and even stay. Some of my most enjoyable totally anonymous sex took place there, you kiss, you grunt and you cum!

Andrue

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
It's a pretty obvious signal, at least face down. It would suggest you want to get fucked.
However, face up is less so obvious as it's the easier way to watch the goings on in the corridor, greet visitors, etc.. It's the more instinctual position. So it's quite likely the guy sitting face up on the bed is up to either play positions. You'd simply need to pop in, say "Hi!" and then talk a bit to see what he'd really want to do.
Face down isn't 100% guaranteed "bottom" either. Its just a lot more likely since the butt is what's being featured.

malakos

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
In a sauna or bath house? Big difference. Saunas to me are large rooms with benches all around. Maybe I'm not thinking of the same thing.

You are correct. What saunas are, by definition, are rooms designed to produce sweating by dry heat.

Bathhouses aren't even a type of room. They are complexes that can include multiple amenities such as saunas, steam rooms, pools, workout rooms, and private rooms (there may be more common features; I've never been so I'm no expert).

Saunas are often part of bathhouses. But they are also often found at gyms. And in some parts of the world they're a traditional part of the culture, so would probably be found in many places.

winesthel945

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
San Francisco (California, United States)
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
These days most saunas and steam rooms at resorts, health clubs, spas, etc. are too small for people to be lying down without being a total jerk and taking up too much space. The traditional signal in those venues is to have a towel around your waist while you sit, and to casually leave it open so that your junk is visible. If someone else is interested, and if the place is not too crowded with obviously straight/disinterested people, then they'll do the same and casually fondle themselves while looking in your direction. It has the added benefit of letting you quickly cover yourself if someone walks in.

A true "bathhouse" is a different story. In a real gay bathhouse, everyone there knows what's up and you don't have to be too coy. Again, I've never been in one that was large enough for many people to be lying stretched out, either face up for face down. To figure out if someone a top or bottom, you might need to use your words. :)