Save Windows XP!

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Save Windows XP!

The clock is ticking

Microsoft plans to end most sales of Windows XP on June 30, despite a deep reluctance by many business and individuals about moving to Vista. InfoWorld believes such an expensive, time-consuming shift with problematic benefits should not be forced on Windows users, so we have decided to rally XP users to demand that XP be kept available.

By Galen Gruman
March 17, 2008

[URL="http://weblog.infoworld.com/enterprisedesktop/archives/saveXP_btn.gif"]http://weblog.infoworld.com/enterprisedesktop/archives/saveXP_btn.gif[/URL]

Microsoft will end OEM and shrink-wrapped sales of Windows XP on June 30, 2008, forcing users to shift to Vista. (System builders, meaning those who do white-box PCs, can sell XP through December 31.) Don't let that happen!

Millions of us have grown comfortable with XP and don't see a need to change to Vista. It's like having a comfortable apartment that you've enjoyed coming home to for years, only to get an eviction notice. The thought of moving to a new place -- even with the stainless steel appliances, granite countertops, and maple cabinets (or is cherry in this year?) -- just doesn't sit right. Maybe it'll be more modern, but it will also cost more and likely not be as good a fit. And you don't have any other reason to move.

That's exactly the conclusion people have come to with Vista. For most of us, there's really no reason to move to it -- yet we don't have a choice. When that strong desire to stick with XP became obvious in spring 2007, major computer makers such as Dell and Hewlett-Packard quietly reintroduced new XP-based systems (but just to business customers, so as not to offend Microsoft). Come June 30, however, even that option goes away.

So what to do? Let Microsoft decide where your personal and enterprise software "lives"? Or send a loud and clear message that you don't want to move?

We're going for the loud-and-clear option. Join us, and tell Microsoft that you want to keep XP available indefinitely. Not for another six months or a year but indefinitely.

And ask your friends and colleagues to join in, too. Just point them to SaveXP.com for a quick link to this page. And if you'd like to publish our countdown animation on your Web site to help promote this petition, e-mail Executive Editor Galen Gruman for the code snippet.

[URL="http://weblog.infoworld.com/enterprisedesktop/archives/saveXP_btn.gif"]http://weblog.infoworld.com/enterprisedesktop/archives/saveXP_btn.gif[/URL]

Don't think Microsoft will listen? Consider this: Although Microsoft denies that anything is wrong with Vista or that most people don't want it, the company has already postponed XP's demise by six months. That's a start, but it's not good enough.

Microsoft doesn't have to admit failure; it can just say it will keep XP available indefinitely due to customer demand. It can take that opportunity to try again with a better Vista, or just move on to the next version that maybe this time we'll all actually want.

There is a precedent for that, too: In many respects, Vista is like the Windows Millennium Edition that was meant to replace Windows 98 in 2000 but caused more trouble than it was worth. At that time, Windows 2000 was promising but didn't support a lot of hardware, so users were stuck between two bad choices. Without admitting Millennium's failure, Microsoft quietly put Windows 98 back on the market until the fixed version of Windows 2000 (SP1) was available. Microsoft needs to do something like that again today.

Make your voice heard to Microsoft. Sign our petition to save XP today. We will present it to Microsoft.

B_Demention

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Yeah, Vista really is horse shit. I got a new laptop a few weeks ago and was all stoked, thinking it was going to be really fast and all, but it turned out to be just as slow (if not slower) than my older computer with Windows XP and less memory. Everything's the same, only hidden under multiple levels of options (making familiar programs etc harder to find) and hampered by "impressive" visuals that are buggy and slow the whole system down. In addition, a lot of older software doesn't work on it. I think the single most annoying thing though is that you're constantly asked for administrator permission so you can't even carry out the simplest task without being asked to confirm and verify the change.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Or, you can tell M$ to take their dictatorial intents and go fuck themselves right in the ear.

Get Ubuntu.

Never heard of it. Is Ubuntu like Linux?
Truth be told I am quite happy with Windows XP. I don't need to do a lot of fancy stuff. When I feel like tinkering with web design I use Dreamweaver 8.:redface:

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Yeah. When I brought new computers for my business, Vista would not run any of our design software properly. Forget about using Autocad, Rhino, Maya or Alias Wavefront on it. Also, we would have had to upgrade our database software to a newer version. We had to uninstall vista, purchase ten new XP licenses and re-install the OS.

I think this year I am going to investigate switching to one of the versions of Linux.

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Never heard of it. Is Ubuntu like Linux?
Truth be told I am quite happy with Windows XP. I don't need to do a lot of fancy stuff. When I feel like tinkering with web design I use Dreamweaver 8.:redface:
I have a very good friend on Linux, and feel something like a fool for being a windoxslave...yet I am.

My next one will be a Mac, fer sure!

B_ScaredLittleBoy

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I never paid for my XP...but does this mean they're ending the Windows Updates?

I still won't buy Vista or if I do I'll do what I did with XP and wait til they fix it. I have heard good things about Mac OS's but don't know about the interface/usability of them.

PS I thought Mac was the standard for designers. At least, graphic designers :confused:.

I think I'll use XP for at least a few more months yet, maybe a few more years.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media

The past policy for MS has been to support an OS for four years after it has been discontinued OR until it has been replaced by two subsequent full release OpSys. Of course there used to be a correlation between those time frames that no longer exists because MS feel the need to release a 'new' OpSys every fucking year. I have no idea if this policy has changed but I think if MS were to discontinue support for XP anytime soon they would face a lot of very reasonable criticism which could be quite damaging for them. I'd say XP updates will continue for at least another 2 years, if not longer.

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
PS I thought Mac was the standard for designers. At least, graphic designers :confused:.

True, Mac is the standard for graphics design. But most of us in architectural and industrial design use Windoze. There are too many issues in compatibility been the systems to work in Mac. It is getting better, but it is still a hassle. Also in a production environment when we translate files to CNC machine language the Mac system is not as well supported.

Jovial

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

On April 14, 2009, Windows XP will begin its "Extended Support" period that will last for 5 years until April 8, 2014.

I think this means you can still get updates until that date.

Microsoft Announces Extended Support for Windows XP Home Edition, Windows XP Media Center Edition: Microsoft adds the Extended Support phase to two consumer products, providing customers with an additional five years of support.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
On April 14, 2009, Windows XP will begin its "Extended Support" period that will last for 5 years until April 8, 2014.

I think this means you can still get updates until that date.

Microsoft Announces Extended Support for Windows XP Home Edition, Windows XP Media Center Edition: Microsoft adds the Extended Support phase to two consumer products, providing customers with an additional five years of support.

Thanks for the info Jovial! :smile: That means I can keep my head in the sand for another 6 years. :cool::tongue:

dong20

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Or, you can tell M$ to take their dictatorial intents and go fuck themselves right in the ear.

Get Ubuntu.

Yes, and no. Vista is quite comprehensively pooh. SP1 released today should help some areas of criticism but by no means all. I like Ubuntu (perhaps my favourite distro) also, but I'm not at all convinced Linux is (yet) ready for deployment in the mass sense that Windows is.

It's getting there, certainly but I believe it still has a way to go, certainly in effectively unsupported environments (home users etc). Vista performance being so poor provide an impetus, especially if MS do stop XP sales on schedule.

That said, sales are only one element of a bigger picture - depending on licensing one can always downgrade from Vista to XP (more of an upgrade IMHO) and XP will be supported until 2014 at least. By then perhaps Vista will be sorted (or we're all on some other platform).

alex8.5

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I recently switched to Vista for both my desktop and laptop when I had to purchase new computers. My only complaint is the system needs administrator permission to allow certain things, just makes it difficult to walk away fromt he system at times, and there's no way around it. Otherwise I enjoy Vista

D_Tintagel_Demondong

Sexy Member
Media
You can check out Ubuntu without disturbing Windows, at least on XP. You can either run it from the Live CD, or you can get the windows installer (which doesn't need a dual boot or new partition).

M$ is came out with an XP service pack recently, but I think this will be the last major improvement for XP. I can't stand Vista so I'll stick with Xp for as long as I can.

D_Keziah Binbanger

Experimental Member
Media
I switched to Vista when I got a new desktop a year ago and I enjoy it...now that I turned off all the things I don't need, because by default the OS has all its options turned on! At first, I was disappointed but after I installed all the updates( and turned off everything I don't need), it ran faster and was more responsive. My only complaint is its tremendous use of RAM which will force me to upgrade to 1 Gig of RAM. It CAN run on 512 but the memory is always full.
I don't think MS should keep XP indefinitely, but considering they ended Windows 98 support in 2006, they should wait until 2010 for XP. Windows Vista is only an in-between OS, the real thing will come out in 2010 and is know as Windows Seven.

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Mr. Midlifebear's anti-Windoze Rant
by Mr. Midlifebear

I've was originally stuck with Windoze since Windoze 3.1, back when the company I worked for eschewed all things Macintosh. My department's productivity took a major dive at that time because of that particular "upper management" decision. Then they complained incessently that there was nothing I could not get my staff to do using Windoze 3.1 that we had been doing with old MacII's. Wrong! If you were in technical publication, technical communication, advertising, publishing, graphic design -- all of which were relagated to my department -- there was damn little one could do with Windoze 3.1 except watch it eat up as much memory it could find and crash four or five times a day. So, I did what was necessary and directed my staff to go back to the old-fashioned cut and paste art board world putting together camera-ready art and dealing with typesetters who had to retype everything we already had in a .rtf file and re-edit galleys with blue pencil.

Windoze 95 sort of got us back up to speed in the real world where everyone used Macs to do the same work, but with greater ease. Imagine how amused the guys in "upper management" were to discover that even with Windoze 95 through 98 I refused to use ANY of Microsoft's Works crap. One day a sweet spirit discovered that my department did not use Corell (sp?) or WordPerfect. He worked very hard to make my life miserable. Still, given the choice today I would always choose Adobe's products over most of that company's competitors. They crank out high-quality shit that works (sure it's hard to master, but it's great stuff). The various old Windoze-based software created by the various Bob-and-Fred's-We-Can-Do-It-Too Software companies, while admirable, were not as powerful or as well-designed. Most of it was shit and still is shit compared to what we were finally able to use developed by Adobe. Remember folks, Excel was originally developed for the Mac.

Yeah, Macs were and are great for doing graphic design, publish and really good for editing film and video as long as you buy the right software and the most powerful Macs. It was a pivitol moment in my life when I had a come-to-Jesus meeting with the overpaid execs at that old company, making them an offer they couldn't refuse: shop out all of their technical communication, graphic design, publicity/ads, and everything visual to my own start-up company. They gladly bought into the idea. Most of my staff followed me where they were treated with new state-of-the-art Macs which I leased so when Apple decided to create an entire new OS or faster machine I was never stuck with their old crap.

However, for some unexplainable reason, despite the fact I had access to all of the resources of my own businesses in three different countries, I ended up stuck with two Dell laptops running XP. One came with the original XP which had to be updated almost every day until XPII arrived (now most of the updates are optional and monthly). The second laptop came to me ready to haul ass with XPII -- or just XP in most folks minds -- and I own them instead of lease them (it was just WAY less expensive). That's what I get for selling my businesses and creating a different way to make living.

However, the day I'm forced to "upgrade" to Vista will be the day I buy a couple of Mac laptops. By then I hope they'll be tougher machines than the Mac laptops I kept scattered in a couple of offices. Those Mac laptops tended to break down or get damaged a lot easier when hauling them around on lots of long overseas flights. But the basic interface (GUI) of a Mac hasn't changed too much since the old Mac 512K blocks of putty-colored plastic everyone carried around in 1982(?). I forget when they first came out, but the original interface was and still is light-years ahead with regard to human factors engineering than any crap that Microsoft has been able to come up with. (Yes, I know, Steve Jobs stole the original concept from XEROX's research and design division. Big deal.) Of course, I've always kept a few PC's running Windoze at my company offices because many of our clients were developers of software for Windoze-based PC's. Someone has to document the crap these poor guys develop for niche Windoze-based PC markets.

But I did not use any Microsoft software, especially Microsoft Works, for running my businesses. I still don't use anything remotely Microsoft, with he exception of Excel, for tracking my current financial life. Microsoft is an entity I must engage daily, but that doesn't mean I have to use their mostly inferior, hastily cobbled software.

Terribly unimpressed with VISTA.

So, that's my rant on Windoze and everything that goes with any iteration of it. Thank you for your attention and don't forget to pick up your lovely gift basket as you leave the auditorium. Neener, neener, neener! (Damn it, I feel soooooooo much better! Thanks!)