Saw two amazing movies this weekend!!!

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
Both Israeli coincidentally.

The first was Eyes Wide Open directed by Haim Tabakman which is a closely observed story of a strictly orthodox Jewish butcher in Jerusalem who falls in love with a young (male) Yeshiva student, the two have an affair. It's extremely powerful and very sad. Festival de Cannes - From 12 to 23 may 2010

I highly recommend it, went to the cinema to see it on Saturday, it's extremely beautiful.

And the second I've been meaning to see for ages and ages its Waltz with Bashir directed by Ari Folman Waltz with Bashir

It's so important a film I can't believe I took this long getting round to see it, extremely emotive and should be shown in schools in my opinion. One of those movies which will stay with me for a long time.

If you haven't seen either of these movies then get to it. :wink:

Last edited:
D

deleted3782

Thanks hilaire, I doubt they will ever come to a cinema near me, but I will keep my eyes (wide) open for them. Do you rent them or are they played nearby?

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
Thanks hilaire, I doubt they will ever come to a cinema near me, but I will keep my eyes (wide) open for them. Do you rent them or are they played nearby?

I went to a huge arthouse cinema in down town (as you Yankees say :wink:) Dublin (where I live) to see Eyes Wide Open, but Waltz with Bashir I watched on DVD. I really recommend Waltz with Bashir it's visually stunning as well as incredibly moving. :smile:

D

deleted3782

Very cool. I wish I had an arthouse cinema near me...I like offbeat films more than mainstream.

Tense0000

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Eyes Wide Open was very good. How he stood up to them was very admirable considering the other guy had a reputation. It was sad, yes, but well filmed.

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
I got Waltz with Bashir from Netflix. The sequence where they shot all the dogs in that small town, I'll never forget it.

There are so many moments like that, like the bit where they're hunting "terrorists" in an orchard and they find a little kid with a rocket launcher. Or the bit where the Israeli soldier gets separated from his regiment and ends up having to swim for hours down the mediterranean coast to safety, and then ends up wracked with guilt for having survived when all his friends didn't.

Eyes Wide Open was very good. How he stood up to them was very admirable considering the other guy had a reputation. It was sad, yes, but well filmed.

I know there was such a heartbreaking moment where the other Yeshiva students finally turn on the younger guy and beat him up and the Butcher stands watching in fear because he wants to step in and stop it but knows he can't because it will expose their relationship.

Last edited:

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I saw Eyes Wide Open when it was playing at the NY Jewish Film Festival. It was a very moving story. As a jew I tend to be biased against Orthodox Jewish beliefs, but that is something I prefer not to go into in this forum.
Waltz With Bashir has been on my list; so with your recommendation I'll look for it today. (It's raining here)

D_Tim McGnaw

Account Disabled
Media
I saw Eyes Wide Open when it was playing at the NY Jewish Film Festival. It was a very moving story. As a jew I tend to be biased against Orthodox Jewish beliefs, but that is something I prefer not to go into in this forum.
Waltz With Bashir has been on my list; so with your recommendation I'll look for it today. (It's raining here)

I'm so glad you've seen Eyes Wide Open actually Nudey, and I sort of get what you mean about Orthodox Judaism, the female gentile friend who was with me at the cinema couldn't believe the way women lived in that community, she said at first she thought the film was set in the 1970's because of the dowdy clothes the Butcher's wife wore and when there was a scene where the wife didn't have here hair covered up my female friend thought that all of a sudden there was some new woman in the Butcher's life because she looked so different. I think the film was good at capturing how life is lived for Orthodox Jews in Israel and how it's like an entirely alien world at times, where every detail of life is dominated by religious observance and strict detailed codes of conduct. Very eye opening. :smile: