Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

zigabenus

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Felicem natalem

You have to use the accusative of exclamation. If you want to put it into the song, say

Felicem natalem tibi
Felicem natalem tibi
Felicem natalem (insert name in the vocative)
Felicem natalem tibi

Eat shit is ede stercus
Eat shit and die: ede stercus et morire
Go to hell: i in crucem (literally go to the cross)

That comment about decendit ad inferos, ugh. Descendit ad inferos is from the creed, and it refers to Jesus descending to the souls below (inferos). But the usual way that a Roman would have said go to hell is i in crucem.

MichiganRico

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I'm beginning to believe we have a number of RC priests (or former seminary students) on this site, probably some active and some defrocked. May God bless you all, and for those of you still holding the priesthood, you might need a quick refresher on those pesky vows you took. Oops, I said that in English, didn't I?

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Eat shit and die: ede stercus et morire

That's actually eat shit and to die. You need to use the present imperative voice for both commands, and it's considered plebian to employ a standalone conjunction. The Romans also favored the use of verbs at the ends of phrases.

As I said earlier, the translation is: stercus ede morique.

That's typical?

I wondered the same...

zigabenus

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Hazel

morire is from the deponent verb morior. The 2nd person singular passive imperative looks like an active infinitive. It's infinitive is mori (as in memento mori).

amare = to love
amare = be loved

that form is also the optional 2nd person singular present passive, "you are loved"

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Hazel

morire is from the deponent verb morior. The 2nd person singular passive imperative looks like an active infinitive. It's infinitive is mori (as in memento mori).

I'm well aware of the conjugation of morire...I did minor in the language.

Yes, the present imperative is indeed mori. Coupling with the conjunctive suffix -que yields the phrase I have twice mentioned now.

The Dragon

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Ho pensato che, se stave scrivere in una lingua diversa I puo anche scrivere in uno mi piace invece di macellare latino.

zigabenus

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Hazel,

stercus ede morique = eat shit and to die.

I don't know why you're obsessed about the enclitic -que. As for et being plebeian, I've never heard that, and Virgil didn't have a problem with it. Just read the first 10 lines of Aeneid 1. He uses it 3 times, just as many as he uses -que.

If you want to make morior, mori, mortuus sum into a present active imperative, you need to say morere (I think I wrote morire earlier, which is a mistake).

It shows up in Aeneid Book 2.550, when Pyrrhus/Neoptolemus kills Priam

...referes ergo haec et nuntius ibis
Pelidae genitori. illi mea tristia facta
degeneremque Neoptolemum narrare memento.
nunc morere.

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
If you want to make morior, mori, mortuus sum into a present active imperative, you need to say morere (I think I wrote morire earlier, which is a mistake).
Dammit...rotten deponent irregular verb. Yes, the present infinitive of morior is morére, not morire...and it doesn't follow the standard conjugation to imperative, either.

As for the use of -que distinguishing from the plebian alternative, that was my lame shot at certamen humor, not an academic pronouncement.

FYI, Virgil is no more the definitive authority on Latin syntax than Shakespeare is for English.