Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I spend a lot of time in the woods with my dogs hiking. Oftentimes I meet women out hiking as well. I almost always end our chat when there is more than one female or it's a couple, with something like, "You guys enjoy the rest of your hike". When a male says "you guys" to you, are you taken aback or offended? Given a preference, if you are with another woman and after talking with a guy, do you prefer he refer to you as ladies, girls, or something else? Does it even matter to you at all?

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
If they say “girls,” they can fuck right off.

I’m conflicted with “guys“ after reading a piece by Alice Walker some years ago.
She made a valid point that women are not “guys,” and she suggested the much maligned, but non gendered “y’all.”
Now, I’ve spent my life trying to erase the south in my voice, so “y’all” is a VERY slippery slope.

I lean toward non gendered language unless gender matters. It does NOT matter on the trail. Well, aside from a pee rag and cuolo cleaner.

“Enjoy the rest of your hike!” will do nicely.

The same applies to the non wild world.

Tight_N_Juicy

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
Imagine if after talking to two guys a female said, "Have a nice day ladies".......!!!

I guess if someone called me "gentleman" I may be a bit confused. Not offended, just confused.

Ladies/gentleman are formal. Dude/guy aren't. It's just a general "you're human and I acknowledge that" in my personal opinion.

I'm fine with being called guy/dude.
This would not be me:

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Imagine if after talking to two guys a female said, "Have a nice day ladies".......!!!

1. What @Tight_N_Juicy said... Formal vs casual usage.

2. Masculinity is a fragile mother humper. Being duded/guys'd is not seen as reductive to women, some folks consider it a compliment.

But most dudes can't handle even the slightest, unintended brush against their identity. Calling the wrong group of men "ladies" could straight up lead to violence.

3. Comparative severity - being guy'd by a stranger on a hiking path ain't poop compared to the real possibility of being assaulted/murdered by stranger on a hiking path.

Tight_N_Juicy

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
Yeah, I've never heard of a woman getting physical and aggressive over being called dude or guy. I have absolutely seen guys get into fist-fights over calling one another lady/bitch/woman.. more than once throughout my lifetime.

Probably the most ridiculous thing I've ever seen people fight over.

Edit: when someone calls me dude or guy is not meant as an insult. But when men are called something not considered manly they tend to take it as an insult, because being a woman is obviously not as good as being as man. Or some stupid shit.

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
Let’s say one of the “ladies” was actually a transwoman, and guys just hits wrong. They’ll likely mull it over and be hurt. Not what you wanted to do with a greeting.
yeah, yeah, it’s their issue, snowflake, whiny, looking for a reason to be hurt, whatever it is that masculinguists use this week, but social justice aside, this is manners. Don’t hurt folx.

There’s a rule in news reporting, and I see it applied in waves, that one’s ethnicity isn’t mentioned unless it matters. In a car crash, no ones ethnicity is listed, unless there’s a search for a hit and run, for example. Age, gender, residence. That’s on the report, and they are details that humanize. Sure, some surnames hint, but who took whose name in an inter-ethnic marriage? Sally Johnson (a Black woman) may have married David Rosenberg. Or Judith Rosenberg.

I have wondered for years, a decade as a reporter and editor, and the decade since, if this could apply to gender.
Ultimately I’ve fallen on more information is better, but wondered what it would do socially.

Use non gendered words when you can. Use the appropriate gender, and not in slang senses with people you don’t know.

Is my kiddo going to call me dude? Yeah. Will I call my non-binary AMAB kid dude? Yes. Is either misgendering? No.
But you never know how strangers will take it.

Want to be funny? “Have a great day, intrepid hikers!”

Enid

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
I grew up in the northeast United States. So "you guys" was very common in my family.

"You guys want some supper?" "You guys want some pierogis?" "You guys want to go get ice cream?"

(I may be hungry)

But now having lived in the south (texas) for 30 years, I've become much more comfortable with y'all. It's more gender neutral anyhow.

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
I care deeply whenever someone uses this phrase correctly. I just can’t help myself :heart: I practically swoon :)

ive said, “I could care less, but it would be difficult.”
Sadly, few get it.