Scalia

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by jay_too, Apr 26, 2004.

1. jay_too

jay_too New Member

USA Today has another article on Justice Scalia and the request to recuse himself from hearing a case involving his friend, Dick Cheney: the Sierra Club formally asked him to recuse himself because of the "appearance of impropriety."

In his response, Scalia said he and Cheney have been friends since their days in the Ford administration. "While friendship is a ground for recusal of a justice where the personal fortune or the personal freedom of the friend is at issue, it has traditionally not been a ground for recusal where official action is at issue," Scalia wrote, adding that this is such a situation.

Does anyone besides me find this approach disingenuous? Such a position would seem to have precluded Justice Scalia from accepting Bush v. Gore because the personal fortune of a friend was at risk.

jay

2. lacsap1

lacsap1 New Member

Albums:
    As if we never knew that GW Bush stole the Presidential election contest.

Here in Holland the news was full of "strange" things what happend, like how tens of thousands of African Americans "were illegally but strategically disqualified as convicted felons". But as in other posts on this site, this probably your 2 party system or as we call it: The winner takes all system...always fighting the only other party.

Ofcourse most of the european public don't like GW Bush as myself, esspecially Bush’s personal style (his Southernness, his lack of intellectual curiosity, his false religiousness), and the bloody sheet that he will leave in Irak but GW Bush will be remembered as the “stolen election” of 2000.

Funny and ironic is that among the angriest of those who charge that Bush’s election was illegitimate, are many who did not even support Al Gore for President?

So are there still some people who have warm feeling for an open, democatic and lawfull system ? Strange that in the US it's better to have several first class legal talents around and go to Federal Courts and Supreme Courts instead of having some good warm feelings in making your country a better place...

3. BobLeeSwagger

Gold Member

The Los Angeles Times has been harping on Scalia for a while now on his conflicts of interest. There was another one in the last couple of days alleging that he helped a family friend keep his congressional district from being redrawn to his disadvantage. He even ignored his own previous ruling in doing so.

Scalia is by no means the first Supreme Court justice to involve himself in politics and he won't be the last. The part that really baffles me is that he can't see why anyone would think it looks inappropriate. Even if he's completely innocent of such things, he should be able to see how it would look bad to others. How one of the top legal minds in the country can be ignorant of that is quite a mystery.

4. Imported

Gold Member

SpeedoGuy: [quote author=aloofman link=board=99;num=1083002601;start=0#2 date=04/26/04 at 20:45:32]
    How one of the top legal minds in the country can be ignorant of that is quite a mystery.  
    [/quote]

Well said.

It reminds me of when Clarence Thomas claimed during his senate cofirmation hearings that he'd never discussed the abortion controversy or had any opinion on it.

come again?

SG

5. Imported

Gold Member

Faircrest: [quote author=SpeedoGuy link=board=99;num=1083002601;start=0#3 date=04/26/04 at 21:42:53]

Well said.

It reminds me of when Clarence Thomas claimed during his senate cofirmation hearings that he'd never discussed the abortion controversy or had any opinion on it.
    [/quote]

I think that is because abortion is such a litmus test now. I do not believe there is anyone who would stand up on principle on the abortion issue, liberal or conservative.

Ken

Draft saved Draft deleted