Scarlett Johansson Covers Another Song

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
first she covered Tom Waits, now Jeff Buckley's Last Goodbye

i think she has a really interesting if not exactly "great" voice, but i don't think she does any of the songs justice really...and i do not know if she is really a "singer"

YouTube - Scarlett Johansson - Last Goodbye (cover Jeff Buckley)

what does everyone think?

pym

Just Browsing
Media

Xcuze

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Ok I understand that she wants to sing. She enjoys singing. I get it. BUT.....that doesnt mean she deserves success in yet another medium! She's already a hugely paid film actress. Now she wants music success as well. Greedy. Lets face it, she'd probably never got past the first hurdle without her film fame.

Trying to spread your talent usually ends up making u look like a Jack of all trades & Master of none. Look at Jennifer Lopez; average actress, average singer.
Scarlett has no credibility as a singer & doing covers certainly aint gonna get her any!

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Ok I understand that she wants to sing. She enjoys singing. I get it. BUT.....that doesnt mean she deserves success in yet another medium! She's already a hugely paid film actress. Now she wants music success as well. Greedy. Lets face it, she'd probably never got past the first hurdle without her film fame.

Trying to spread your talent usually ends up making u look like a Jack of all trades & Master of none. Look at Jennifer Lopez; average actress, average singer.
Scarlett has no credibility as a singer & doing covers certainly aint gonna get her any!

I agree completely.

if she wants to impress me she should actually try writing and performing her own songs at least.

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
first she covered Tom Waits, now Jeff Buckley's Last Goodbye

i think she has a really interesting if not exactly "great" voice, but i don't think she does any of the songs justice really...and i do not know if she is really a "singer"

YouTube - Scarlett Johansson - Last Goodbye (cover Jeff Buckley)

what does everyone think?
I have the Tom waits compilation album. She is not a great singer. However the production on this is amazing and her voice is filled with more passion than many of the better singers around today. It works.

pym

Just Browsing
Media
You know though.....a perfect voice is not always nessasary to great art.
Case in point.....Karen Dalton. A very cracked and haunting voice from a tragically doomed and very influential artist out of the Tin-Pan alley era.
A very interesting sidenote in music history and a favorite of mine for reasons that go to the core.

It Hurts me too:
YouTube - Karen Dalton, It Hurts Me Too

Blues jumped a Rabbit:
YouTube - Karen Dalton "Blues Jumped The Rabbit"

Katy Cruel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r57WVFz1PaE

Thats her playing a huge Gibson B-45 model 12 string guitar too.

Last edited:

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I have the Tom waits compilation album. She is not a great singer. However the production on this is amazing and her voice is filled with more passion than many of the better singers around today. It works.

I actually liked the widely played Tom Waits cover she did of Falling Down, but there are several head-scratching moments where it seemed like a better producer would have not allowed her to have made some of the things that went over badly, and would have brought out the best in her...

as i said, i really find her normal voice very sexy...i like those smoky/husky women's voices as they are rather unique, and sound interesting...i think she needs some material better suited to her maybe...choosing men's songs to cover first instead of women's is probably a bit of a mistake...but the problem is that she is not singing her own stuff...is she just going to cover other people'swork forever, though? That sort of isn't really singing in a way, at least not with your own voice...hell even JLo has her own material, and she is horrible.

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I actually liked the widely played Tom Waits cover she did of Falling Down, but there are several head-scratching moments where it seemed like a better producer would have not allowed her to have made some of the things that went over badly, and would have brought out the best in her...

as i said, i really find her normal voice very sexy...i like those smoky/husky women's voices as they are rather unique, and sound interesting...i think she needs some material better suited to her maybe...choosing men's songs to cover first instead of women's is probably a bit of a mistake...but the problem is that she is not singing her own stuff...is she just going to cover other people'swork forever, though? That sort of isn't really singing in a way, at least not with your own voice...hell even JLo has her own material, and she is horrible.
Why would we expect her to write her own song's when 90% of the artist today don't. Frank Sinatra never wrote a song in his life. The only song Elvis wrote were the words to Love Me Tender. Barry Manilow didn't write any of the hits he is known for. So compared to most of the shite that's out there i find her very refreshing. Here voice is real and isn't altered (and treated ) in the studio as most of them are today.

Flashy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Why would we expect her to write her own song's when 90% of the artist today don't. Frank Sinatra never wrote a song in his life. The only song Elvis wrote were the words to Love Me Tender. Barry Manilow didn't write any of the hits he is known for. So compared to most of the shite that's out there i find her very refreshing. Here voice is real and isn't altered (and treated ) in the studio as most of them are today.

very true about Elvis and Sinatra but what i meant is that she should do original songs, (even if someone else writes them for her)

i certainly would rather listen to her than to other crap, but i just think that she needs to do some original material if she wants to be taken more seriously.

As i said, i like the smoky voices that certain women have as singers, as it is interesting and unique...but I would like to hear some original stuff.

justmeincal

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight

Snakey, I'm not a Manilow fan, but if I recall correctly he did write many of his hit songs.

Mr. Snakey

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Snakey, I'm not a Manilow fan, but if I recall correctly he did write many of his hit songs.
I'm talking about the hit's he is known for. Mandy, I write the song's etc. He did not write them. He has written songs. He wrote the american banstand theme and some others. I will check on this.

Media
You're my hero! :cool: