School Closings.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Now a days they close school because snow is in the forecast. There is barely a dusting and many Schools in my state were closed today.

When I went to school you had to get yourself home from a blizzard.

dudepiston

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Yeah me too! But, of course, the horses & buggies did better in the snow than today's fancy modern vehicles. =)

EagleCowboy

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
When I was in school (and the buses were stickshifts) the only way they closed school was if the bus slid in the bus barn's parking lot, the power went out from heavy ice, or there was serious ice rain that threatened the bus' traction.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
There is no snow on the ground. It is ridiculous. The NYC new channels are breaking with storm warnings and advisories (of nothing). Currently we have rain mixed with sleet, no reason to shut down the schools or have early dismissals planned since last night.

snoozan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
There is no snow on the ground. It is ridiculous. The NYC new channels are breaking with storm warnings and advisories (of nothing). Currently we have rain mixed with sleet, no reason to shut down the schools or have early dismissals planned since last night.

my mother was a school bus driver for 30 years, and she was more concerned driving in sleet, freezing rain, and ice than in snow. it's dangerous and it's hard to tell if the road is wet, icy, or both. i live south of you by about 100 miles, and i was sliding around this afternoon in a 4 wheel drive truck.

the mid-atlantic isn't used to getting snow and ice as much as other places, and doesn't have the infrastructure to deal with it, so they are cautious. it makes more sense to do that than to have kids stuck in schools or on roads which happened here last year.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
That might be why. It's now 3:30 and I estimate your sunset is in about 2 hours. That stuff might freeze in about an hour.

Yes, but we can't close the school all winter long if there is black ice on the road. We are not even in winter yet.

snoozan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Yes, but we can't close the school all winter long if there is black ice on the road. We are not even in winter yet.

meh, you just want something to bitch about. do you even have kids who are in school? BTW, it's mid-december. mid-december = winter.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The State of New Jersey adds a cushion of 5 snow days to each school year. To the best of my knowledge no one has ever gone to school in July though many have attended up to and including June 30th.:cool:

Now a days they close school because snow is in the forecast. There is barely a dusting and many Schools in my state were closed today.

When I went to school you had to get yourself home from a blizzard.

Jesus Christ Mem0101 how old are you . . . 80? I am 41 and grew up in New Jersey. I have also worked for the New Jersey State Department of Education. So I have a much different perspective from the average Joe.

Many new Jersey towns have numerous subdivisions/developments but no sidewalks so children must take buses and cannot walk to school. Jackson, NJ comes to mind.:rolleyes: In distericts where students walk to school, many people shovel their driveways but not the sidewalks even though state law says this must be done within 12 hours of the snowfall stopping. walking on a snow covered street is not safe.

Here's the deal. In Monmouth county where I grew up (and went to both public and private schools) there are numerous narrow roads and roads with hairpin curves which are dangerous even on sunny dry days. The transportation coordinator for the school district actually gets info via fax and e-mail from the National Weather Service. The TC goes out between 4 and 5 am to drive the worst road a school bus will have to travel. If they cannot do this safely, school is either closed or a delayed opening is declared.

They must also take into consideration closing school early. This is a bigger deal and hassle than you may think and in my entire school career only happend once. The issue with closing school early do to weather is contacting parents and guardians at work to let them know their little darling will need to be picked up post haste or will be going home on the bus to an empty house.

FYI: New Jersey is the only state in the entire United states where each, city, town, burg; and hamlet is a school district with its own school board and superintendent. In most other states a county is a school district. There are also many states in which a group of towns, cities, communities, or whatever band together to form a regional school district.

EagleCowboy

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
BedHeadRed: I used to live in Oklahoma until 5 years ago. Do you live in the NE part? I used to and it was quite interesting when we got black ice. That always made driving fun. Actually, it made walking to the mailbox fun.

"Course it always got those people who can't drive (but convinced themselves they were the greatest) out of the way of those who actually can drive.