Scientists grow penis tissue in lab.

Discussion in 'The Healthy Penis' started by B_quietguy, Nov 9, 2009.

1. B_quietguy

B_quietguy New Member

Tissue created in a laboratory has been used to completely replace the erectile tissue of the penis in animals.

The advance raises hopes of being able to restore full function to human penises that have been damaged by injury or disease.

Rabbits given the engineered tissue by the scientists from Wake Forest University in New Carolina had normal sexual function and produced offspring.

The study appears online in Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.
    Professor Anthony Atala said: "Further studies are required, of course, but our results are encouraging and suggest that the technology has considerable potential for patients who need penile reconstruction

-----------------------

So if you ever lose yours, someday a doctor could grow a new one for you in a petri dish and transplant it to your body.

2. Gillette

Gold Member

Albums:
    LMAO.

Rabbits! If that's not a good stress test I don't know what is.

3. EagleCowboy

EagleCowboy Well-Known Member

Albums:
    So I take it that pig bladder dust stuff won't do it? It did make a finger grow back.

4. Principessa

Gold Member

We may laugh; but I'm sure there are soldiers at Walter Reed who are praying this becomes routinely available by Christmas.

5. Gillette

Gold Member

Albums:
    Somehow I don't think penile reconstruction or the lack thereof is the primary, secondary or even tertiary problem at Walter Reed.

I'd say better staffing and a fair evaluation system might rank higher in their prayers.

6. B_RedDude

B_RedDude New Member

uh oh. . . I see a new rush of penis enhancement surgery coming

7. JTalbain

Gold Member

We'd have had a breakthrough like this in America years ago if the Religious Right didn't have a stick up their ass about stem cell research.

8. _avg_

Gold Member

Albums:
    How bigs was it, grr???!!

9. JTalbain

Gold Member

Legitimate musing which is sure to ignite a flame war: I wonder if they can clone me a new foreskin.

10. Dooky

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    south park anyone?

11. whatireallywant

Gold Member

:biggrin1: That's exactly what came to my mind when I saw this!

Yes, at first it'll be used for men who are injured, etc., probably the next step would be FtM transsexuals, and then... penis enhancement cosmetic surgery. Not that there's anything wrong with any of these, including the latter - if that's what he wants to do, why not?

12. Zeuhl34

Gold Member

Albums:
    First thing I thought of

13. yaoirabbit

yaoirabbit New Member

I think this is great news. I wonder if it means that sometime in the future, people might be able to get new limbs?

14. FuzzyKen

FuzzyKen New Member

Though I am happy to see progress, I really do not see this as anything significant. In most humans the causes of erectile dysfunction are different than in other animals. We humans (aren't we lucky) usually have a baseline cause of vascular leakage/degeneration. In most animals it is actual tissue breakdown or injury.

As far as penis enlargement surgery, knowing this one well, I contacted several experts that I know. What came back was that the only way it would work would be if one could in essence duplicate their own tissue. Implantation has proven difficult on this front and implantation for girth enhancement has had a dismal track record. Now, if we were able to combine genetics and create genetically compatible penile tissue which was identical with the exception of size, we might have something. We could then in essence "grow" replacement penises in some kind of laboratory situation and do transplantation surgery.

Where the research is going to be of great benefit would be in burn victims. Penile reconstruction after 2nd and 3rd degree burns to a groin has had a very poor track record. This might make penile reconstruction possible and minimize scar tissue formation which takes away elasticity.

I see possibilities on this, but I do not see them in the realm of cosmetics at this time. We are going to need a great deal more advancement before that happens. However, with this discovery, you could see the necessary advancement within 7-10 years. We can all hope

15. sexplease

Gold Member

Albums:
    oh great. Just what we need...more rabbits

16. B_quietguy

B_quietguy New Member

Yeah, well said. They might not have given their lives for our country, but they lost one of life's greatest joys.

They along with men who suffer from penile cancer, burn victims, botched circumcisions, botched piercings, and men who have severe penile scars from trauma.

How long will it be until we see a surgery result in two fully functional penises?

17. Mule

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    You don't tend to hear about it on the news, but many soldiers do receive genital injuries during battle. A large proportion of the guys that have lost legs to shrapnel also ended up with disfigurement, disablement, or complete loss of their genitals.

18. minimag

minimag Active Member

Albums:
    My question: Where the f*cking hell is New Carolina?

19. B_quietguy

B_quietguy New Member

Hah! "New Carolina" was in the original BBC article. Looks like some BBC copy editor caught the mistake and corrected the article. Just follow the link in the original post.

Draft saved Draft deleted