Scientology

B_Hung Muscle

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I know Mr Cruise has dusted up a whole lot of shit for his comments about Brooke Shields' post-partum depression and psychology. But, I can't figure out what it is Scientologists do believe in. Are they Christians? Is it a religion or more of a self-help group, like that horsefaced Tony Robbins stuff?

I was stuck in a Marriott hotel once in Orlando and read the Book of Mormon in the bedside drawer and that was enough to keep me laughing for years. Is Scientology like that?

B_Hung Muscle

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
electropsychometer??

This is worse than I expected.

But here's the part I loved.

To prevent Scientologists from inadvertently defying this order [of imperiling their spiritual well-being], they are encouraged to install filtering software on their personal computers, which contains a long list of excluded keywords chosen by church leadership. In addition to the names of church critics and websites objectionable to Scientology, for some reason this 1995 list also contained (and presumably still contains) hundreds of items, including the following:

a-hole, art student, asshole, blow job, bogus, bugger, dicks, fucker, ghost, lunacy, moaned, mother f-ker, mother fucker, motherfucker, murder, quadrillions, Satan, Satanic, screw, screwed, squeal like a pig, trillions, vagina

There best not be any Scientologists on this website!

prepstudinsc

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
Originally posted by Hung Muscle@Aug 31 2005, 08:15 AM
I was stuck in a Marriott hotel once in Orlando and read the Book of Mormon in the bedside drawer and that was enough to keep me laughing for years. Is Scientology like that?
[post=339468]Quoted post[/post]​

One of our very active members on here is LDS (Mormon). I don't know if he'd find the same humor in the Scripture that you do. There's no comparison between a church that has millions of members world wide and is growing everyday, has a world wide missionary religion based on a psycho-babble sci-fi book hyped by a freakish movie star who jumps on couches and some has been tv stars.

steve319

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Originally posted by Hung Muscle@Aug 31 2005, 10:23 AM
electropsychometer??
[post=339514]Quoted post[/post]​
Yeah, that's my favorite part too.

Remember, this is all based on legitimate scientific research! Hell, it even has the word "science" in its name!....sort of..,,

Dr. Dilznick

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
As an aside, The Church of $cientology has its worldwide headquarters in Clearwater, Florida, where Godiluvabig1 lives. Someone should direct her to this thread.

Anyway, back in 1975 when the freak show arrived they bought up historic hotels, banks, parks and ocean front property and a few whole city blocks. After their shopping spree was over the total came out to 296 million dollars.

B_Hung Muscle

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I was asking a question, prepstud. Please don't get all crazy on me because I asked something about religion or cults. Save it for your other threads.

I don't mean to insult anyone's beliefs but I also am entitled to mine. I read the book of Mormon and it said that Jesus came back to Earth and visited the United States. Then it launched into a whole spiel about buried golden tablets in upstate New York that only a handful of people saw... I'm sorry, it read like lunatic ranting/science fiction to me.

No doubt there are plenty of strange goings-on in the Old and New Testaments as well. Parting of the Red Sea? Immaculate birth? Water to wine? Walking on water? Resurrection?

Every religion requires a leap of faith. Some are willing to make it. Others not. I prefer to think if you treat people right and avoid hijacking planes to fly into buildings, you're a step ahead in the morality game, no matter what philosophy or theology you espouse.

I don't give a rat's patootie how many people adhere to a particular religion or if a specific church is growing. Jim Jones and David Koresh had followings too. They had a belief-system. They made up a whole bunch of tale tails to suit their own egos and psychoses. They invoked their own deity. Didn't make them moral. Didn't make them right. Didn't make them good guys.

Scientology looks like a huge load of crap to me. There I said it. And I think Mormonism is funny. I guess it has something to do with the latter day aspects of it. It's hard for me to believe that all these goings-on happened in the mid-19th century. Call me crazy.

And, here's the last of my rant: Any religion whose teachings vilify gay people (or consider it sinful for two men or two women to engage in sexual activity) opens itself up to my scorn.

I know you're all going to jump up and down, but we've already read how smart you all are all over this board. I suggest you all PM each other about how I'm going to rot in hell. I'm slathering on the SPF-15 right now...

Dr. Dilznick

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Originally posted by Hung Muscle
I don't mean to insult anyone's beliefs but I also am entitled to mine. I read the book of Mormon and it said that Jesus came back to Earth and visited the United States. Then it launched into a whole spiel about buried golden tablets in upstate New York that only a handful of people saw... I'm sorry, it read like lunatic ranting/science fiction to me.
Only if you're wearing blinders.

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Hungmuscle, it's basically like this- MY mythologies are real and YOURS are fake. That's what many people who are in organised religions believe, it is why I ditched organised religion. While there are individuals of many faiths who do not adhere to this stupid principle, it has been my personal experience that the majority of them do.

B_Hung Muscle

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Originally posted by madame_zora@Aug 31 2005, 01:05 PM
Hungmuscle, it's basically like this- MY mythologies are real and YOURS are fake. That's what many people who are in organised religions believe, it is why I ditched organised religion. While there are individuals of many faiths who do not adhere to this stupid principle, it has been my personal experience that the majority of them do.
[post=339578]Quoted post[/post]​

I'm with you, Jana baby. Nothing against those who believe; just don't expect me (or legislate me!) to be making that long jump with you.

GottaBigOne

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Just because I religion, or a belief for that matter, is shared by millions of people doesn't make it any more credible than the bum who lives in the 23st station who believes that jesus christ is the cockroach living in his bowel.
That guy seems convinced, maybe we should worship his colon!

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
My favorite's the idea that all these souls were forced to watch movies and these movies became all the other religions. When I first heard that, I thought "And if you're wonderin where's the evidence/Or other science facts (la la la)/Just repeat to yourself it's just a cult/You should really just relax/For Mystery L Ron Theater 3000".

madame_zora

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Thanks jonb, I hadn't heard the movie theory- beautiful.

It's not that I'm against God as such, I really don't know enough to have a credible opinion about his existance. However, it's pretty easy to be against people who mainly want verification that they are "right". I realise this does not describe all religious people, but it certainly does describe what we have been seeing of late with this unholy blend of religion and conservative politics. Legislating morality on the pretense that one set of intangible beliefs is better than another is just plain stupid. :puke:

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
It's one of those things $cientologists don't want you to know. Probably because it embarrasses them too much. (No, literally, they censored thousands of posts to alt.religion.scientology in 1994.)

jakeatolla

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Does anyone know how L ron Hubbard started Scientology ?
Apparently, and I'm only reporting a well founded rumour,
but the whole thing started so he could win a bet with
Ray Bradbury. Seems L Ron bragged that anyone could start
a religion and brainwash millions. So Ray Bradbury bet him
that he couldn't. The rest is history.

Makes sense to me.

zaphod

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
This may shed some light on the subject:

"Writing for a penny a word is rediculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion."

L. Ron Hubbard, lecture, 1949.

SomeGuyOverThere

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Originally posted by jakeatolla@Sep 1 2005, 03:37 AM
Does anyone know how L ron Hubbard started Scientology ?
Apparently, and I'm only reporting a well founded rumour,
but the whole thing started so he could win a bet with
Ray Bradbury. Seems L Ron bragged that anyone could start
a religion and brainwash millions. So Ray Bradbury bet him
that he couldn't. The rest is history.

Makes sense to me.
[post=339735]Quoted post[/post]​
In the rotton dictionary, it says that he started Scientology to make his self help business take off and actually get him some money in, and also allow him to avoid the government and taxes because if it's a religion, it's a charity. ;)

So... what I want to know, is who runs it now old L Ron is dead?

I must say I'm impressed by how elaborate and completely undefeatable a scam it is! I mean, it's just genius! Make a scam a religion! That way, you can get fundementalists, who will terrorise people who see through the scam, because your religion makes opposition to your religion "Free Game" ie. Scientology members re allowed to, well, do anything to them, includeing killing them.

Im impressed, but it's still sickening, absolutly sickening. :puke:

dolf250

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I had found a great site if you are interested in what Scientology actually is. It contains some of their own documents and... well I will give a quick quote from the site http://www.xenu.net/archive/infopack/6.htm
" Scientology proposes that in its “native state” the spirit/thetan is immortal and god-like and possesses the potentiality of knowing everything, but that in present time its true capabilities have been lost and forgotten. As an immortal entity, the spirit/thetan lives on after body death and is born into a new physical body, again and again, lifetime after lifetime, in an endless cycle of birth and death. As a result of traumatic incidents extending back from the present life through a long series of “past lifetimes” hidden from conscious memory, the spirit/thetan has become trapped in the physical body and the physical/MEST universe.

And now one from http://www.cultnews.com/archives/000816.html
“Hubbard revealed that 75 million years ago an alien galactic ruler resolved an overpopulation problem by sending his excess subjects to earth on spaceships. Billions of aliens thus came here, but they were paralyzed and stacked around the base of volcanoes… But these billions of alien souls called "thetans" still remain on earth clustered in groups. And Tom Cruise, along with other Scientologists, believes that every earthling is full of them. These Body Thetans or BTs are also supposedly problematic little pests, which should be dealt with.”

Anyhow, scientology seems like it would make a good science fiction book. (Did I mention that Hubbard was an author of science fiction before coming up with the much more profitable science fiction religion?)