Scooby "Dooby" Doo?

ish789: why is all cartoons get sued for use of drug words of any type, but scooby doo got away with it? Scooby "Dooby" Doo
i mean im just curious as to how they didnt get sued.

7x6andchg: It was called the 1970s....look at All in the Family.... :D

Pecker

Retired Moderator
Media
Scooby Doo was named by Fred Silverman in 1969 when he heard Frank Sinatra sing Strangers in the Night. The scat line at the end of the song, "Scooby dooby doo..." was an inspiration for a cartoon character that still brings a chuckle to toon nuts today.

I'm not sure when stoners started using the term but I like to think a part of our culture from 1969 is innocent and free of inuendo.

Must be the romantic in me. How about a Scooby Snack?

Pecker

(HEADLINE: Meddling Kids Find Ring of Debris Around Uranus.)

jonb

Sexy Member
Media
[quote author=ish789 link=board=99;num=1067652645;start=0#0 date=10/31/03 at 18:01:45]why is all cartoons get sued for use of drug words of any type, but scooby doo got away with it? Scooby "Dooby" Doo
i mean im just curious as to how they didnt get sued.[/quote]
And he and Shaggy are always giggling and eating too.

gigantikok: I wonder why "the gang" put up with Shaggy and Scooby's pot smoking antics for so long! All the rest of 'em seemed to be pretty clean cut kids, and here you have these two tagging along that are always scared of everything and eating. I don't really see how they helped solve the mysteries, kick them out!! :D

sammygirly: Because he had the cool dog....hello?

~laughs hard~

prepstudinsc: I may be naive, but did I just totally miss all those references? I mean, were the cartoons of the late 60's and early 70's written with that much innuendo? I thought it was only the cartoons of the 90's that were undergirded with adult themes/humor. Was I just sheltered?

awellhungboi: Remember H.R. Puffinstuff? You can't tell me that wasn't drug related!

But Pecker's right, some of these things are inocuous. (Did I spell that right?) F'r instance, Romper Room used to have the Do-Bee.

Psychedelic imagery was just de rigeur back in the late 60's, early 70's. :)

prepstudinsc: I don't remember H. R. Puffinstuff. What was that?

I do remember Romper Room, especially at the end, when the teacher would hold up the mirror and it would swirl different colors, and she'd say, "I see Monstro, and I see Prep, and I see Nony, and I see Sammy, and I see 7x6, etc." That was always kinda trippy.

longtimelurker: The best one for this is blatantly Magic Roundabout.

All of the characters were portrayed on some kind of drug. Zebedee on speed, Dylan the rabbit on dope, there was one on magic mushrooms and I can't remember the other ones, but it was very trippy.

My favourite program as a 5 year old as well! Now it tends to get shown at 4 in the morning for the 'just in from the club' crowd.

ish789: thats why in jay and silent bob they were called dooby snacks...