Screach, Squawk, Metal Fork Tines Against Slate...

Northland

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
My voice, my golden voice. What happened to it?

So I was listening to a song and decided: "what the hey, why not sing along?"

Oh what a horrible mistake. I had no idea I sounded that bad.

It sounded like rain gutters being dragged across an 8 lane highway. I hadn't heard my singing voice in years, since before the meds and chemo. After all of that, I didn't have the inner physical energy to belt out a tune, so I took to lip-synching-and was fairly good at it, except when I forgot a word. Then I began listening only with headphones on and would join in with a very shy voice at times; but, still usually lip-synching, so it didn't register to me how bad it had gotten.

Is it age that does this or did I just never have a good singing voice? Is it possible that is why I was asked to leave the chorus in high school? Oh, this is a sad day...

I guess I will have to go back to lip-synching.

canuck_pa

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
If you enjoy singing, do it. Just do it alone.

A gizillion years ago I was a lead in our school choir then I stopped because I didn't think it was cool. Now I could kick myself. I still enjoy singing but my voice is terrible so I only sing alone. It could be one of those use it or loose it things.

Gillette

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I've had the same experience.

I love singing in the car and one day, 2-3 years ago, I was doing just that when out of curiosity I turned the volume on the radio down...

I was horrified.

I used to love my voice but I've lost the range I once had. I still get compliments on my singing but I know it's nowhere near what it used to be.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
Hmm, odd - I think my voice has got better over time. I'm always singing though - so maybe exercising the voice helps. My high range takes more effort than it used to but my lower range has improved considerabley.

But unless you are trying to get people to pay you for it what the heck does it matter - sing if it makes you happy, never mind that the output would give Simon Cowell a hard-on in anticipation of all the nasty comments he could make. Singing is good for you - good for the soul. Crank up the volume and belt along!

eddyabs

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Just turn it up, and turn it out!! It's more important to be spontaneous and enjoy yourself. If it's any consolation, I used to be in a national choir, now my voice also sounds like 10 rabid cats set loose in a cage with Naomi Campbell. (Not sure who'd come out best in that situation!).