Screw cap or cork?

seahorses

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
One of the benefits of the old type of cork, which to a microscopic degree is pours, was to allow the wine to breathe. Wine is a living entity; the yeast forming its character and alcohol requires minute amounts of oxygen. A draw back to cork was the possibility of it drying out and crumbling; the wine at best becoming ‘corked’ and at worst spoilt by allowing the wine to become contaminated with airborne organisms.

This applied mainly to red wines that required longer maturation times and weren’t considered drinkable under 2 years old. Consequently, wines were laid down so as the contents of the bottle kept the cork moist, though the process wasn’t 100% foolproof.

Wine production today is different; the rules have changed, due mainly to the work done several decades back in the Napper valley. The pioneering of new methods of viticulture and wine production was adopted by the New World countries, none more so than Australia. The French, once top of the tree, took a while to catch up, though their wins, and I hate to say this, I generally prefer.

As the wines have changed so have the corks. I can’t remember the last time I saw the old style of cork – and I mean cork; now they’re more inclined to be a composite material or screw top. It’s the way the industry has gone. Unless you’re a purist and want to own a cellar full of fine wines, there’s no need to worry about the stoppers, just get down to your local supplier, I say, and drink the stuff.

As a wine buff I am just horrified that a lot of wineries have turned to screw caps on their bottles.
I was shocked to see wine in tetra paks!!!
Where is the tradition of the bottle and cork?
Is there anyone out there who feels the same?

Strewth cobber, an Aussi drinking wine? Why, you still making tea with water from the billabong! :biggrin1:

If you can't open a screw bottle cap, you've had too much to drink.

It’s far better, being unable to unscrew the bottle top, to realise you’ve had enough to drink, than to stab yourself with a corkscrew! :wink:

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I am not a wine afficionado. However, I do like to imbibe on occassion and pride myself on never spending more than $20 a bottle. :tongue: That said, I suck at removing corks! :frown1: I have paid upward of $60 for cork screws from places like Williams-Sonoma and Sur La Table only to have little bits of cork shrapnel floating in the bottle as well as my glass. :mad:

Screw top wines have long been associated with poor quality and ripple drinking bums drinking their hootch out of brown paper bags. :tongue: Clearly that image needs to be kicked to the curb. I have sampled wines with plastic corks and I must say they were much easier to remove but a bitch to get back in if the bottle wasn't finished in one setting.

Box wines are getting a lot better but in the late 90's they pretty much sucked.

My personal fave was the Little Pink Box by Sutter Home. It contained the equivalent of 4 bottles of their truly stellar white zinfandel. At only $8 a box, this was a single girl's best friend. It was smaller than other box wines and fit on any refrigerator shelf perfectly. Unfortunately they took it off the market about 18 months ago. My gal pals and I haven't been the same since. :frown1:

Not_Punny

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm a beer drinker, partly because I can't deal with sulfates (they give me headaches).

However, I do appreciate wine even if I can only taste it and cook with it. And even I, with my wine-infrequency, stumble upon the occasional bad cork.

But it's with greater frequency that I run into a badly capped beer. :eek:

Even soda bottles and soda cans are flat sometimes.

Tops are not infallible....

Kind of like rubbers, eh? :rolleyes:

headbang8

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
Anecdote alert!

Recently, in a snooty hotel restaurant on the Great Wall of China north of Beijing (oh, I get around) my boss and I shared a dinnner. Our business meeting was tough, and we fully intended to get plastered on the company dime.

First bottle of wine. A California Graves. Cork. They made the person who ordered the wine taste it.

Second bottle of wine. An Australian Columbard. Screw top. Poured straight out.

Interesting, no?

Third bottle of wine.....um, dunno. Who cares?

I have a small cellar of Oz wine which I have carted, expensively and troublesomely, around the world. (I joke that my wine has so many frequent flyer points that it gets to use the business class lounge)

It broke my heart, recently, to uncork a bottle of 1994 Temple Breuer Shiraz and find it undrinkable.

Do you know how expensive that stuff is?

If you buy a dozen wine at a time, you can afford to throw away one or two corked bottles. For those of us who buy three or four bottles at a time (dinner party quantities) I applaud the introduction of more secure sealants.

BTW...I thought that the oxygen necessary for proper maturation of any bottle of wine was contained in that small space between the cork/cap and the liquid.

I know whereof I speak, too, because I grew up in Adelaide, wine capital of Australia. Beat that.

Yours drunkcerely,

HB8

(who is writing this under the influence of one too many glasses of 2006 Wolf Blass President's Selection Chardonnay)

seahorses

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Anecdote alert!

Recently, in a snooty hotel restaurant on the Great Wall of China north of Beijing (oh, I get around) my boss and I shared a dinnner. Our business meeting was tough, and we fully intended to get plastered on the company dime.

First bottle of wine. A California Graves. Cork. They made the person who ordered the wine taste it.

Second bottle of wine. An Australian Columbard. Screw top. Poured straight out.

Interesting, no?

Third bottle of wine.....um, dunno. Who cares?

I have a small cellar of Oz wine which I have carted, expensively and troublesomely, around the world. (I joke that my wine has so many frequent flyer points that it gets to use the business class lounge)

It broke my heart, recently, to uncork a bottle of 1994 Temple Breuer Shiraz and find it undrinkable.

Do you know how expensive that stuff is?

If you buy a dozen wine at a time, you can afford to throw away one or two corked bottles. For those of us who buy three or four bottles at a time (dinner party quantities) I applaud the introduction of more secure sealants.

BTW...I thought that the oxygen necessary for proper maturation of any bottle of wine was contained in that small space between the cork/cap and the liquid.

I know whereof I speak, too, because I grew up in Adelaide, wine capital of Australia. Beat that.

Yours drunkcerely,

HB8

(who is writing this under the influence of one too many glasses of 2006 Wolf Blass President's Selection Chardonnay)

If you know whereof you speak, because you grew up in Adelaide, wine capital of Australia. Beat that. Then you would also know that small space between the cork/cap and the liquid is called the ullage. This space, though possibly controlled at a set amount when bottling, my vary later depending on how long the wine is kept and under what conditions in terms of humidity. While the space rarely, if ever, becomes smaller it can increase, especially if the cork dries out.

Written under the influence of several glasses of Glen Orky; for medicinal purposes you understand, I have a cold. Cheeres

Reactions: headbang8

The Dragon

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
The only trouble with maintaining the correct level of humidity in a cellar to stop corks from drying out is that it isn't very good for the labels on the bottles.

seahorses

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
The only trouble with maintaining the correct level of humidity in a cellar to stop corks from drying out is that it isn't very good for the labels on the bottles.
Maybe, but you don't drink the lables that in any case can be replaced. Also I can assure you that no wine buff worth his salt will buy a wine that has a larger than reasonable ullage, no matter how good the vintage and how rera the wine. It's an idication that wine has escaped and if wine can get out other items can get in and spoile the wine. :mad:

psidom

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
i feel like a whino when i get screwcaps,
they fake you out by covering it up with the foil.

smelling the cork is a pretty special part of the experience for me.
i am a cork lover as well lol.