Scrotum/Testicle Ultra Sound Question

Discussion in 'The Healthy Penis' started by mattbuddy, May 7, 2008.

1. mattbuddy

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Hey everyone -
    I had to go to the doctor today to get a lump checked out that was on my testicle. The doc said that it is probably nothing, but he suggested I get an Ultra Sound on monday. I have never had one of these done.... what do they all do with it? Does anyone have any stories about their Ultrasound experience that could maybe make me feel more comfortable with it. I guess I just am worried I will get hard in front of this doctor (As I sometimes do with regular check ups) and would I have to completely dress down for this? Will it hurt at all? How long does it usually take?
    If anyone could give me information that would be awesome!
    Thanks!
    Matt

2. B_Think_Kink

B_Think_Kink New Member

It takes only a minute or two, they will probably prod around with the device, painless and quick. I doubt you'll have to worry about getting hard, but you will most likely have to undress from the waist down.

3. zawfi

zawfi New Member

Matt,

First of all, don't worry about getting hard in front of the doc. I once joked with the doc about the rectal/prostate exam being worse for the doc than for me, and he reminded me that it's part of his job and he's seen it all, and just a normal procedure for him to perform. If you get hard in front of the doc, so what? It happens, and you won't be the first patient like that.

About ultrasounds, I have never had one that I recall, but it won't hurt, I can tell you that. Not sure how long it will last though. It is a non-invasive procedure and is not something you should be worried about. Very safe. Of course, I should say that I am not a medical professional, so take this all accordingly.

Best wishes, and good for you for getting examined.

4. dickman45885

dickman45885 New Member

Albums:
    Literally....a piece of cake.

Most likely you will drop trou and lay down on a table. They will put some gel on your scrot...it will be cold. They will then take a piece of equipment, which will also be cold....and rub it around your scrot. NO PAIN... Basically the ultra sound takes pic of your testicles.

Next...and this came from right from my urologist. Take a flashlight, and turn it on. Attempt to shine it through the testicle. If it looks clear, no dark spots....not too much to worry about. I had a hydrocele and had it removed several years ago. It was like having 4 in the space of one, and while not painful, got in the way and got pinched, now that hurt.

If you have any questions pm me.

5. funnyguy

funnyguy Active Member

Albums:
    Matt,
    I just had one a week ago. I did not have an erection problem and my guess is that you won't either. It is a very simple procedure. Yes, you have to undress and wear a gown. (It is the similar as what they do to check on pregnant women for their babies in utero.) They slather your scrotum with a gel-it's cold. I had mine done at a clinic by a woman technician. It takes abut 10 minutes or less. Mine was done because I have an enlarged left testicle. This is the second time for the procedure for me. It turned out to be a hydrocele (a fluid sac around the testicle.) Mine was more solid this time. Before, when I first noticed it a couple of years ago I noticed that it was larger and squishy. Mine is not a serious problem, but my Dr. has referred me to a Urologist for a consult. I don't know what that will be about yet-maybe using a syringe to draw the fluid out?? It does not affect me as is-but probably a good idea to follow through on.
    I hope your is as easy as both of mine and I wish you good luck!
    Jim

6. dickman45885

dickman45885 New Member

Albums:
    I had mine drained several times, and it came back each time. That is why I finally had the surgery. I had to have surgery a couple of times til it was finally fixed.

7. littlebigmaninNC

littlebigmaninNC New Member

I had one of these done 17 yrs. ago. Like they said, they smear a cold lubricating gel on the scrotum to let the unit that's a lot like a computer mouse, glide around. Not the least bothersome. :smile:Turns out I had a calcium deposit on a testicle.

8. mattbuddy

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    Thanks guys for writing back to me! This is making me a little at ease now. I'm happy it will take a max of like 10 mins. I read somewhere that they would sit there and glide it around for 30 mins....:eek: haha but now that i know that's not true it makes me feel better. Thanks again! Crossing my fingers for just a simple calcium buildup or something tiny!

9. Dave NoCal

Gold Member

Albums:
    Matt, I had one this Monday and am still waiting for the results. Maybe today. In my case it's a follow up after an injury.
    It didn't take long. The very nice female techincian took me to a small quiet room and instructed me to undress from the waist down, put on a gown, and lie down on the bed. When she came back, she put a blanket over me, handed me a towel and had me pull up the gown and grab hold of my penis with the towel and keep it out of the way. She then handed me a rolled up towel and had me loop it under the scrotum and hold it securely. This supported the testes from underneath. she then did the exam as described by others. It took about ten minutes. All she saw was the scrotum itself. Not bad at all.
    Dave

10. steven1234

steven1234 New Member

No worries. I've had it all. Likely about four ultrasounds to keep measuring my nut. Dave NoCal's discription is how it was for me too, towels and all. I too had a female tech, thought I might get a stiffy too, but no, didn't happen.

11. davidjh7

Gold Member

If you have a privacy concern, simply ask them to "drape" your penis--a towel or cloth over your penis, but still allowing access to your scrotum. working in the medical field, believe me, despite rumors to the contrary, patient comfort, privacy and respect is VERY important--and in most cases it is legally required. As long as it doesn't interfere with the procedure, the technologist will be accommodating I'm sure it is nothing, but good luck on your procedure!.

Draft saved Draft deleted