Sean Penn is such a douche bag

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
The highlighted ... you vill explane, HG.

connection to personnel attached to the project

At some juncture, likely early in the process, the producers will sit around (with or without the director) and discuss who they might like to see cast in the various roles. Names get tossed out, discussed, discarded, etc...many times, those suggesting the names are friends of the actors, or have worked with them before, or have some association to them.

salary demand

Assuming an actor's name comes up and he's in serious consideration for the role, then at some point his salary demands will be discussed. Obvious factors like production budget, and anticipated box-office draw as a result of his name association will play into the decision to cast him or not.

D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

Experimental Member
Media
Xcuze writes: "The awards season is a chance for Hollywood to redeem itself by pretending it has a social conscience."

--------------------

Maybe so. But Hollywood doesn't "redeem itself by pretending it has a social conscience" any more or any less than politics or religion.

Actually, I'll amend that. Hollywood has a much better track record at pushing its social conscience (gay equality & gay marriage, human rights, anti-Bush sentiment, Darwinism, grassroots democracy, global warming, the environment) than the republican party is at pushing its social conscience (pro-life issues, protecting "traditional marriage", "family values", prayer in school, Creationism).

I'd even say Hollywood (both television & motion pictures) is more influential than all the christian churches combined at setting and pushing a social agenda. So laugh all you want at their "pretending to have a social conscience" - because that social conscience and that "pretending" changes laws.

Oh. One last thing, Xcuze. Then we'll drop it. Mickey Rourke lost. And I told you six different ways to Sunday that Penn would win this thing, too, if you care to remember.

Last edited:

houtx48

Cherished Member
Media
Another thing I think it's hypocritical for gay actors to play someone who is straight, can we end the debate now?..........................lolllllllllllllllllllllll does that sword cut both ways. oh and i thought Penn did a good job, just thought it odd you would put it that way.

MichiganRico

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
If the Hollywood elite were all that "gay-friendly," Brokeback Mountain would have won over Crash for Best Picture in 2006, it didn't although it won virtually every other major "best picture" award.

Likeability plays a big factor in any awards scenario, but demonstrated talent usually does trump any extraneous factors in the end. Sean Penn can play it from the most comedic to the most dramatic. I think usually a Best Actor nod comes more from having a body of outstanding work, than just one outstanding performance. He carried this entire film on his own back since he was in virtually every frame. Penn was surrounded by a great supporting cast, read lines from a gifted writer and was directed by one of the best in the biz. That's a recipe for an Oscar. Penn would have won had there been no Proposition 8 debate raging at the time.

Yeah, at times I'm sure he can be a douche--like most of us. No matter how you cut it, he is a gifted actor and director and this Oscar wasn't his first and won't be his last.

Last edited:

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Flashy writes: Why shouldn't a gay actor have played Harvey Milk?

--------------------

Ok. I'll bite.

What gay actor? Nathan Lane? Neil Patrick Harris? B.D. Wong? Alec Mapa? RuPaul?

Sean Penn and Jake Gyllenhaul are names that can garner publicity in a way that David Hyde Pierce never can.

And, at any rate, I do not believe that a gay actor has to be chosen to play a gay role. Sean Penn filled that role passionately and authentically. That's what acting is. Sean Penn was not "stunt" casting any more than Meryl Streep playing a nun in "Doubt" was stunt casting (ie, a real-life nun is not necessary to make this role work).

Penn is not 100/0. Well known.

barina

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
i enjoyed Hugh Jackman. A refreshing change, and he is so talented, and also a natural. Sean penn and Kate Winslet, worthy winners. have seen both movies Great Stuff. But the highlight was "Slumdog Millionaire" winning. Superb movie. Felt sorry for Mickey rourke, he was deserved too. Was hoping "Mamma Mia" would have won something, great entertaining movie. A feel good one. And Heath ledger, immortal as The Joker.