Searching for decent news sources

Discussion in 'Politics' started by sbat, Jun 25, 2010.

1. sbat

sbat New Member

After watching what essentially amounted to a panel of four people with dubious expertise chat (gossip) for an hour about goings on in Capitol Hill on CNN, I've decided I'm completely done.

I'm looking for more or less objective news sources which focus less on speculation and editorial and more on substantial fact. Both blogs and news sources.

Any suggestions?

2. gaygent

gaygent Member

People in America have told me they rely on the BBC World Service for impartial information.

3. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    Good topic.

There are lots of alternetives to mainstream US news sources. You just won't find any of them on US TV. :smile:

Livestation | Al Jazeera English Premium | Live streaming TV to your computer, mobile and connected TV (this is just a freebie ten minute trial)

AJE - Al Jazeera English

Don't be put off by what you have heard about AlJaz. I watch the English language service on satellite because they have news from everywhere. S America, East Asia, and some really interesting mini documentaries from the USA. I find the station to have less glitz and flash and more substance than American TV and I like the less western orientation. It is less biased than CNN or BBC except when they are covering the issue of Israel. They they are about equally biased except in the other direction.

Helium - Where Knowledge Rules is an interesting mix of Science and politics and other stuff. They say they are "a knowledge co-operative where our writers are also our editors who read and rate every article on the site."

CBC radio has some great programing. I miss "As it Happens" a lot.
    CBC "Ideas" is a program about contemporary thought. It explores social issues, culture and the arts, geopolitics, history, biography, science and technology, and the humanities.

They also carry the Massey Lectures which are well worth a listen on radio or on the net at CBC Radio | Ideas | Massey Lectures
    The current series "The Wayfinders" is given by the ethnobotanist, filmmaker, author, adventurer, and all around cool guy, Wade Davis.

#3 vince, Jun 25, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  4. D_Wally Walnuts

D_Wally Walnuts New Member

NPR is the best news source IMO.

5. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    Television is not a great place for news. With a 24-hour vacuum to fill, the void is always greater than the story, and "the story" devolves into who's responding to what someone said or wrote either in the moment or (more likely) earlier and at a different time.

In this respect, all American televised news channels are identical; the only difference in in the spin and filter depending on the host as much as the actual channel.

Lou Dobbs is on CNN, Shep Smith in on Fox, Joe Scarboro is on MSNBC: these exceptions to the overwhelming slant these channels generally provide prove the rule rather than refute it. I was never a fan of Campbell Brown, either, FWIW; she is either unfamiliar with or else just plain hostile to GLBT issues.

Except for snippets on the internet, I haven't seen any broadcast media at all since last Summer, and only really followed it during the 08 election. I don't own a TV, and my current housemate prefers watching DVDs: he's not political at all.

I get my regular news from blogs these days, specific information on health and HIV from the Kaiser Family Foundation, which sends me updates on topics I've subscribed to.

Blogs of note, in no particular order:

The Daily Dish
    Talking Points Memo
    Politico
    The Daily Beast
    Five Thirty Eight

Celeb and political gossip with a decidedly gay edge is found at Gawker, which can be extremely amusing and more accurate than you might think otherwise.

This list (my daily reads, all of which link to many other sources) will leave me open to criticism that I don't engage enough with blogs that run right of center, which is both unfair and unfounded.

The Daily Dish links to NRO (National Review Online) as often as TNR (The New Republic); The current top-of-the-fold story on TPM is highly critical of Alan Grayson (D, FL); Politico's POV is center/center-right in both filter and commentary; The Daily Beast hates everyone equally (and is owned by Tina Brown, no fainting lib); Five Thirty Eight has a track record of accuracy in predicting winners and losers that is unparalleled on the web.

Gawker, like DListed, is a guilty pleasure.

6. SilverTrain

Gold Member

Albums:
    It's pretty darn amazing. I also find PBS NewsHour | PBS to be excellent. Excellent.

I like watching and listening to BBC news, but a lot of that's probably down to the great "BBC accents". :wink:

7. nudeyorker

Gold Member

Funny you should mention this. After countless e-mails to CNN I just gave up. I watch BBC America and PBS News Hour now for news. I still watch World News Tonight, but I constantly have one finger on the mute button.

8. dreamer20

Gold Member

9. B_mitchymo

B_mitchymo New Member

I watch BBC News 24, i like the Hardtalk section when they interview anyone interesting in a 'grilling' manner. (especially if its a politician)

News in general is something of a bore, mostly negative events, mostly speculation over issues and a fair dose of propaganda i bet.

If i had'nt just bought a 32" widescreen LCD tv to replace my 19" 17yr old german chunkybox then i would be quite happy to go without a tv. TV is BAD!!!

10. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
  11. sbat

sbat New Member

What about podcasts? Currently I'm subscribed to Obama's weekly address, NPR, EconTalk (where economics nerds talk about the bleeding edge of econ theory), and a few other science and tech podcasts that aren't really relevant to this board.

Any thoughts there?

12. sbat

sbat New Member

13. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    Blogging Heads is one of the best podcasts on the internet: wide range of topics and guests. Sometimes the discussion is complementary, sometimes in high contrast.

They run long but are generally extremely informative.

Too long, IMO: he was frequently painful to watch. But nationalist xenophobic chicklet-capped-toothed loudmouth butterballs have never been my thing.

Like Campbell Brown, he was no friend to the GLBT community, either.

14. TomCat84

Gold Member

Albums:
    www.realclearpolitics.com

They have news stories, polls, op-eds, etc from a variety of different sources- liberal, conservative, and in-between...though overall they have a slightly right of center lean.....

15. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    Haven't heard of PBS, but NPR are meant to be good - I should check em both out.

Tend to stick to BBC over here. Also, EUobserver.com is good for non-biased European reporting. :)

I like The Times when it comes to papers, but guess you have to take them all with a pinch of salt.

16. D_Wally Walnuts

D_Wally Walnuts New Member

Isn't it? I was glued to it in '08. It almost feels like they report it first and everyone else gets it 2 -3 days later.

17. maxcok

Gold Member

Ditto and ditto.

The accents are fine, but the affected sing-song delivery, "the BBC voice", drives me straight up a wall. :irked:

#17 maxcok, Jun 25, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 25, 2010
  18. cdarro

cdarro New Member

CBC News Network is what I mostly watch; CTV News Channel is more of a headline-news type of service. There used to be an international version of CBC Newsworld which was carried on some US systems; don't know if it still exists. I never watch CNN or any of the American news channels anymore, they all (at least the ones on cable here) just seem to be so polarized and adversarial.

19. midlifebear

Gold Member

The several bright parts of my day happen when I'm driving the 150+ miles to Elko and listening to National Public Radio. I forget to check their podcasts when I'm not in the USA. But NPR and the Public Broadcasting System (PBS) are truly living news fossils: year after year the Senate and House continually cut their public funding to almost nothing, yet they both continue to crank out relatively unbiased "what's up" news. And when they have a conservative commentator they make sure everyone knows it by introducing the commentator as such and when he or she is through they announce with the liberal commentator will be on to counter balance the debate. Regardless, it's amazing the ultra christianist right conservatives haven't found a way to put fatal bullets in NPR and PBS. For the benefit of us all, they continue to suck in air and survive.

Vince is very on target regarding AJE - Al Jazeera English. They also broadcast in French and Spanish in Europe. And they tend to stick to the news and just the news, (except with their disaffection for everything Israeli).

Lately, I find the Canadian Broadcast Company (CBC?) rather soothing. They tend to have a positive, glass half full attitude, except when it's time to vote for new MPs.

As for blogs, the one I find most entertaining (and which identifies just about all the anti LGBT news and LGBT haters, especially those wrapped in T bags and the flag) is Joemygod.blogspot.com. He's finally losing interest in all things Lady Gaga, and he is certainly no intellectual, but he gathers a good source of information to review the issues most important to the LGBT Community and World AIDS with links for further reading and research.

20. cdarro

cdarro New Member

Draft saved Draft deleted