Seats for Cyclists

Discussion in 'Underwear, Clothing, and Appearance Issues' started by budday, Apr 16, 2005.

1. budday

budday New Member

Cycling season is upon us! I am looking for a new seat for my bicycle and I wonder if some of you have experience in this department. A lot of seats nowadays have a groove so you don't restrict circulation to your jumblies as you ride. Newbies/lurkers please jump in and help out!

My bike is a classic mountain bike and I ride it racing styles with my torso somewhere between horizontal and 45degrees of inclination. I don't compete so I admit most of my time riding (especially on long rides) I spend with my ass on that seat. Anyone have suggestions for bike seats that are comfortable yet good for circulation?

Sincerely,
    Numbnuts

2. Pappy

Pappy Member

Jel seats are pretty comfortable. You still have to drape your junk to one side or the other but it's not too bad.

3. Socket4Plug

Socket4Plug New Member

4. Spork

Spork New Member

First, find the ones with the hole or groove in the center.

Second, make sure it's wide enough at the back so your sit bones are on the seat. Most "racing" saddles are too narrow, and all the pressure ends up on your junk, groove or no groove.

Although...the Spongy Wonder seat that socket posted looks really nice, and even better for us LPSG members than the groove style: I might order one and try it. Thanks for the link!

5. tightfit

tightfit New Member

Mmmm...
    The 'normal' type of bike seat is really bad for men of any size 'down there'.
    There is now evidence that cycling with that kind of seat can contribute to erectile dysfunction.

6. Shelby

Gold Member

I think I read that the 'bad for you down there' study was discredited. Anyway, I ride all the time and have no problems popping one.

Most comfortable saddle ever for me - Brooks B72

7. KinkGuy

Gold Member

All I know is that they all make my balls hurt. Even the ones designed to relieve the pressure. Haven't tried the "hornless" one Socket recommends....looks comfy.

8. jay_too

jay_too New Member

For me the most comfortable one is the one Socket recommended, but to protect the jewels, bikers are supposed to wear the lycra shorts with the balls and dick pushed up. Yea, it is blatant, but what guy wants an injury down there?

For modesty you can wear a tee that is a size larger than normal when you ride....or do as I sometimes do, store it in the saddle bag until I get off the bike for an ice cream. Except when you are stopped at a traffic light, you are bent over; and the bulge is not noticeable.

Often I forget to pack my tee. When this happens, I just ignore the funny looks and go on with life and grab a sandwich or an ice cream.

jay

9. Shelby

Gold Member

they make cycling underwear. it's lycra (only thinner) and has an asspad. i wear these with a pair of cargo shorts over them.

back to seats - here's a pretty comprehensive rundown Sheldon Brown.

I wrote Mr. Brown about the hinged type seat mentioned earlier. Maybe it's because Harris Cyclery doesn't carry them but his response was - "Not recommended. This style keeps coming and going under various names. They give poor lateral stability, and must be set up at a slant, such that you tend to slide forward, and wind up putting more weight on your hands."

Socket4Plug's brother likes his though so they might be worth a try. I'd ask about return policy just in case.

Draft saved Draft deleted