Secrets of the Phallus: article on human penis evolution

hung

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
The sperm/semen extraction theory seems very possible to me.

An any regard, the article was an excellent read.

D_Pubert Stabbingpain

Account Disabled
Media
This Scientific American article on the evolution of the human penis has several explanations for the size and shape of human phalluses.

Had I known that psychologists engaged in this type of research I probably whould have got more than a B.A. in Psych! However, I think evolution is best suited to biologists, not psychologists.

These theories are not new. Evolutionary biologists and Baker and Bellis, from whom these "Sperm Wars" theories originate have other "collegueges" who disagree See Birkhead, Gomendio and Roldan, Harcourt, and Short.

To say in the first part of the article that only male humans posess a corona and then go on to use the "semen displacement theory" as the evolutionary cause for the human male corona, logically follows that humans are the most promiscuous of all mammals. Bonobo apes as many other monkeys and apes are sex hounds (this is in another thread here on lpsg as well). These theories have been used to prove the inherent NON-monogamous nature of humans (especially women) up to the reason why men have to be NON-momogamous to get out all that other sperm.

Other theories such as penis length, width, testicle size, all abound with just as many "pro" as "con" arguments, both for biological and even for esthetic purposes. When you finally get a handle on these, then you have to take into consideration the purpose of the female orgasm, another topic.

B_quietguy

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Had I known that psychologists engaged in this type of research I probably whould have got more than a B.A. in Psych! However, I think evolution is best suited to biologists, not psychologists.

I aint so sure about that. Biologists are usually the best informed about the subtler effects of evolutions, but other professions provide interesting insights. Evolution affects sociological behaviors a lot. (e.g. - females and males use different mating strategies.) The idea that evolution affects behavior is the basis of sociobiology and evolutionary psychology. Each discipline brings its own insights to sociobiology. You can read more here.

To say in the first part of the article that only male humans posess a corona and ...

Yeah, that claim from the article just aint supported by simple observation. Many other species have coronas around the penis. Horses, orcas, bonobos, etc... all have flaring cock heads.

Other theories such as penis length, width, testicle size, all abound with just as many "pro" as "con" arguments, both for biological and even for esthetic purposes.

The human penis is so large compared to other primates, so I am not surprised that people come up with theories of why evolution favors thicker, longer penises with large heads. And guess what? The SciAm article has explanations for all 3 of those - thicker, longer, and wider cock heads.