See, this is why Republicans are losing it

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Qua, Oct 27, 2009.

1. Qua

Qua
    Gold Member

Albums:
  2. ZOS23xy

Gold Member

Albums:
  3. B_Mister Buildington

I don't think it's stupid, I think it's principled. The republican party either needs to get back to its core tenets or dissolve.

Getting rid of RINOs is one part of the process.

4. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    Not he. SHE. And if that's not bad enough, she supports abortion rights and same sex marriage. :eek:

It's not surprising at all that the trogoldites are behind the other guy.

5. B_Mister Buildington

Are you suggesting that this has something to do with the fact that she is female? You're reaching.

6. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    So do think that by narrowing the focus of the party, it will increase the GOP voter turnout. "Energize the base", as they say? Or would driving the RINOs out and presumably into the arms of the Dems just further marginalize a party that has lost two elections in a row?

7. B_Mister Buildington

I think that it's about republican voters sending a message to their own party, at the short-term cost of losing a few elections. There's no point putting republicans in office if they don't have classic conservative values.

It isn't a bipartisan issue, so much, as a problem within the party that many voters see and want to fix.

Hopefully the trend spreads, and we can flush all the relatively new and undesirable elements from the party. I'm talking about neo-cons specifically, but RINOs would fall under that same heading I suppose.

#7 B_Mister Buildington, Oct 27, 2009
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2009
  8. vince

Gold Member

Albums:
    Ok. Maybe that's not fair. But the equal rights and abortion issues are certainly part of problem. What do yo think?

9. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

SIGH... where are the Colin Powells when you need them?
    This is like watching two rappers fighting over who's more "street". Completely pointless.

10. D_Ireonsyd_Colonrinse

What's that word for cell division? Mitosis? Where a single cell (the GOP) divides, splits itself apart and becomes two (republicans and conservatives)?

I'm no longer against the Tea Partyers! Ha ha! Party on! Your work is paying off DIVIDENDS with a splitting, fractured GOP.

I'm going to have myself a piping cup of green tea right now to honor your fine work! Maybe this is the beginning of a three-party system.

11. B_Mister Buildington

Part of the problem, certainly. More generally, the problem is that she holds few conservative values expected in republican candidates and holds many values expected in democratic candidates. It has as much to do with her economic policy as her social one.

12. ZOS23xy

Gold Member

Albums:

Ooops. Got to watch the typos...

13. ZOS23xy

Gold Member

Albums:

Thin response, but the Right seems to think these "one issue" stands will bring voters out. Kind of like the pledge not to burn flags and prayer in schools seem to be perpetual motion issues. Read my lips...."no new taxes"....

14. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

If the goal is to win over voters and influence people to view things through their ideology, they need to understand that people may identify themselves as being Conservative or Liberal but not have to adhere to every single stereotypical characteristic that society has thrown upon them. The same way we have Democrats who are very conservative when it comes to some issues, we're going to have some Republicans who are liberal on others.

It's actually an embarrassment to watch them so adamantly eat their own.

15. houtx48

Gold Member

somehow sometime the repubs will be back. the pendulum swings both ways as the democrats have short memories.

16. B_Mister Buildington

VinylBoy- Would you support the democratic party in attempting to replace a democratic politician who was outspokenly opposed to same sex marriage, opposed abortion rights, supported the rights of big business, attacked ACORN, and was generally fiscally and socially conservative?

17. B_VinylBoy

B_VinylBoy New Member

I highly doubt that a person of this caliber would even exist and call themselves a Democrat for obvious reasons. But I digress... Watching people bicker over themselves over who is more "conservative" or "liberal" is stupid. I don't always agree with every liberal out there. That doesn't mean we have to engage in a political dick measuring contest to decide who has more of the liberal mindset than the other.

I have my beliefs... I look for a candidate that sides with them best, along with a few alternate choices just in case my ideal one doesn't make it. Plain & simple.

18. B_Mister Buildington

OK don't answer my question.

19. Qua

Qua
    Gold Member

Albums:
    Exactly. I generally vote Republican, but I have relatively liberal (or at least, not at all Republican) social and cultural views. Same sex marriage doesn't bother me, I think the war on Drugs and Terror are equally mismanaged and ultimately less effective than other solutions, I don't find any point in leading the country according to an "objective" set of moral guidelines, whether that means right wing religious values or left wing social justice.

I would be equally ostracized by the right and left for my amoral views on proper government, when both sides should by lobbying for my vote.

This sort of is done by the left as well, but this is the most institutionalized and party-centric I've seen it in awhile. Basically I just don't see the country moving in a more conservative direction, and it seems silly to try and reaffirm a party's standing as conservative. Perhaps the strategy is to firmly entrench itself as opposition, but I feel no need to pledge my allegiance to what I view as no more than the enemy of my enemy.

I really think in the next 25 years we're due for a major shift in the nature of political parties in this country. By my watch it's been about 50 years.

20. mynameisnobody

mynameisnobody New Member

Actually, it's an excellent move.

It seems silly to waste a perfectly good 2-party system by having two parties which are indistinguishable in their essential features. But we're stuck with two. A third party would be electoral disaster - think Teddy Roosevelt in 1912, or Ross Perot in 1992. A much more effective course would be to push the Republican Party in a direction which more effectively opposes the Democratic Party platform. Then voters would have a choice which might mean something.

Draft saved Draft deleted