Seeing my friends relationships crumble.

Discussion in 'Relationships, Discrimination, and Jealousy' started by Drifterwood, Apr 18, 2009.

1. Drifterwood

Gold Member

I travel quite a lot for my work.

So many of my fellow travellers seem to have problems holding relationships down at home.

Do you think it is just a case that few relationships are completely solid and that being away a lot forces the cracks?

Is there any advice I could give to friends when this happens?

2. Principessa

Gold Member

#2 Principessa, Apr 18, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
  3. Principessa

Gold Member

In order for any relationship to last there must be trust. If there is no trust they can work 3 blocks apart and the relationship will crumble.

Long distance relationships are tough and not everyone is cut out for them. You have to communicate regularly. Schedule time to call each other, IM, Cam2Cam. Whatever it takes to keep that bond. When you get right down to it, if you're a couple and you aren't together every night or together on a somewhat regular schedule then insecurities can develop. I can't believe I am saying this, but there has to be more than just great sex. :redface: For instance: TruckerTexman is a trucker it's not unusual for him to be on the road for 4-6 weeks at a time. But we talk on the phone almost every day. We also email and I text. He can't text because he is a professional driver. When he receives a text from me he calls me back with an answer. I often have automotive or computer questions and he's good at that stuff. :cool:

4. Ed69

Gold Member

This is why I gave up being a truck driver,nothing replaces being able to hold my wife every night!Sleeping in the back of a truck cab without your woman just sucks ass!:redface:We now have our jobs in the same valley and spend every night and weekend together.We are both very tactile,so time apart is not good emotionaly or mentaly.You could call us needy,but it works for us!:smile:

So yes Drifterwood I will say this,

Money is just money,if you find that someone special?Do what you have to,too be with them every day and night you can!Cause you never know when that time will end.Time apart just makes it happen faster.

#4 Ed69, Apr 18, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
  5. Principessa

Gold Member

It works for us cause Tex is a gypsy and I like my alone time. When he's home we are both happy to see each other. :biggrin1: When situations at home permit I go on the road with him, it's fun.:smile:

6. cbrmale

Gold Member

Albums:
    I have travelled for my work for lengthy times in the past, and it made our relationship stronger. We missed each other and looked forward with anticipation to catching up again. I think if a relationship fails due to work-related travel, it didn't have the correct foundations in the first place.

7. Drifterwood

Gold Member

Thanks all.

I was out with five friends the other night (we're all a long way from home), it struck me that they all had current problems or had in the past which had finished their serious relationship.

8. Bbucko

Gold Member

Albums:
    The only thing I'd add is to be supportive of the relationships but totally hands-off of the rough spots. And above all, try not to take sides.

My $0.05

9. Drifterwood

Gold Member

Didn't it used to be $0.02? I am worried that Star will use this as Obama fuelled hyper inflation :biggrin1:

Strangely, I do what you say, without having thought about it. There can be a part of this which is just people having an opportunity to bitch things off their chest. Some talk about their partners so much that I feel that I have got to know them and actually do stick up for them. Slightly weird.

10. D_Cock_Hudson

D_Cock_Hudson New Member

I've not had a job that forced me to be away from home. I know it's an issue for people who do, though it works in different ways for each person. Communication is important and also being confident enough to ensure that the job does not involve more time away than necessary. This may mean careful planning of appointments and standing up to your boss. Generally one of the things that has come out of years of economic growth (until things fell apart from last year) is employers taking greater recognition that people have and need a family life.

Draft saved Draft deleted