Self-Study for Piano

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by lopo2000, Apr 11, 2010.

1. lopo2000

Gold Member

Guys,

I'm thinking of self-studying piano. If can, I want to avoid taking classes due to the cost. Do you have any idea what good book or CD I could purchase to do this?

Thank you for your recommendations.

:smile:

2. B_crackoff

B_crackoff New Member

None worked for me! Get a few lessons. The problem is using the left hand at the same time.

To do it on your own, a light up keyboard, which includes many different lessons, levels, & a CD is probably the best way.

I had a Casio, about $150. I just couldn't stand the songs!

If you get one & start tinkering around on it, you should soon find out if the instrument is right for you, but unless you're a natural Mozart, you'll need lessons to improve & learn more about techniques.

3. lopo2000

Gold Member

I'm not a natural anything, hehe. I just learned my first book lesson last week, and I learned how to play Happy Birthday, which nearly made me cry (yes, it's a big deal for me). I just would like to try mastering the art and yes, I'm thinking to purchase a piano, but a keyboard as you suggested can be good too.

Thank you Crackoff!

4. Wish-4-8

Gold Member

The problem with learning a new instrument when you are a complete beginner is that you are learning so many things at once, just to get going. The biggest obstacle, especially with piano, is learing to read music.

If you were learning the guitar, it would be much easier to just play. And they have a system of notation, tablature, that is way easy to learn and have you playing in minutes. (its not the best way to learn, just the quickest)

So, you have to start from the beginning with piano. And you need proper technique from the beginning before you develope bad habits. The guitar is more forgiving in this area.

So, walk into a music store and ask your question there. You will put in equal parts in learning music and learning to play. You may want to invest in a few lessons along the way to just have someone check your technique along the way.

I self taught myself the piano, but I already knew how to read music. I followed the fingerings on the music and practiced alot. I got good enough to fool non players into thinking I could play the piano. But when I was in school and took classes there, I became better. Learning scales is learning how to get your fingers across the keyboard in the most logical way. Even when you are just trying to figure stuff out without written music.

My other piece of advice is to get the music that you want to learn and start learning it a mearsure at a time. Follow ALL the markings and fingerings. Every piece you learn is like a new lesson. And you will go into your next piece with the knowledge of the previous learned piece. That is what I did for years.

So good luck. Sorry I could not give you a specific name of a book, since that is not the way I learned.

5. Wish-4-8

Gold Member

Oh, and avoid those stupid light up keyboards. Those things are as annoying as they are worthless for learning music. You will be too busy chasing the light like a cat with a laser pointer. you will not learn about finger positions and stuff. You will be pecking at the keyboard with two fingers instead of learning how to play properly.

If at all possible, get a keyboard that is velocity sensative. That means the the sound will get louder the harder you press the keys. You need this to be expressive in music. You dont need to get weighted keys, like a real piano. And, if you can, spend some time on a real piano when ever possible. You dont have to own one, just have access to one.

6. lopo2000

Gold Member

Thank you very much Wish! You have explained a lot and it helps me think about it. Actually, I already learned a few basic things how to read the music. And it's quite manageable. I just need to get my fingers familiar around the keys. I think what you suggested is right, try to practice with different song then it can be a lesson to me.

7. B_crackoff

B_crackoff New Member

Not true! The point is they can go as slow as you like! AND the finger positioning is shown! It is remarkably helpful. The fingering can also be in less complicated arrangements ranging, I can still play Pachabell's Canon, & Hard to Say I'm Sorry from that time!

For God's sake don't buy a piano until you can play a far cheaper keyboard.

The stuff about bad habits forming is however, very true, (and scales Lol, though that's what a transposition button's for! Hehe) & that's why I'd always advocate lessons.

I was in the same position as you 3 years ago. However, I've got quite a good ear, & could always knock out the melody line of a tune. Imagine by John Lennon isn't that hard to do the chords for.

My problem was, I was already writing songs, & worse than that, way beyond my musical talent, so it was more expedient to get a keyboard with a sequencer, that also allowed me to play chords with one or two fingers.

This meant I still can't play it. So if you don't write songs learn how to play! And teachers give you the discipline to get the truly awkward fingering to become second nature.

I've already had about 20 songs studio recorded to some level of completion now(I was good at programming arrangements, & found a great guitarist & a cheap studio), none of which could I have written if I'd relied on playing, as my guitarist & engineer said" most people write things according to their playing ability - you write things beyond most musicians!" I've already got some stuff on airplay too, & some fans, so that's nice - some haters too -hehe!

As Wish said, a guitar is a lot easier to play, especially if you start with open chords, & a nice electric Strat & amp.

If you can afford a piano, get a tutor, it will be easier, & you'll have constant support & homework.

8. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

Haha.
    You know, lopo, I never actually learned Happy Birthday, so it's not 'in my fingers.'

I would definitely advise having at least a few lessons at the beginning with an actual teacher who can play well.
    You will be setting down habits, right from the beginning, that are very hard to break later on. You won't establish the fundamentals of technique on your own. (Well, you might ... but it's very very rare.)
    And once you start learning on your own, it would still be good to get the occasional lesson. It's very easy to fall into bad habits.
    I realize that you don't have a large budget for this.
    All I can say is that lessons will get you going in a way that you won't achieve otherwise.

9. lopo2000

Gold Member

Thanks guys, and yes Crackoff, I agree, discipline is very important. Routine might help in here. So, you suggest mastering a keyboard first? I'll definitely consider that.

Hhuck, yeah, everybody says so, lessons can keep me going, at least I will be consistent. And yeah, sadly, budget is my enemy in this thing...

10. Wish-4-8

Gold Member

I am sure that if you do an internet search for free piano lessons, you will get many hits. Even on youtube, they have lots of tutorials. It aint like when I learned, you had to read then. lol

There are so many online resources now. I was just on youtube earlier today and couldnt belive all the rock guitar lessons they had. Geez, If this was around when I was a teenager, man, i would be more awesome. I had to learn by ear and read books and magazines. lol And when reading the mags, you are never quite sure how it sounds.

Good luck, and let us know.

Draft saved Draft deleted