Selling Tshirts

Media
A friend of mine has had this idea for awhile to think up some ideas and designs for tshirts and to buy the silk screen and paint to basically make them ourselves and sell them on ebay or somewhere. I've never really got involved in a creative project like this so I'm not exactly sure how copyrights and trademarks work, and what could or couldn't go on a shirt. I'd like to figure that out before I start spending mental energy coming up with shirts. Any smart people here know something useful for me? :rolleyes:

BirdinMo

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I had a t-shirt I made that said "My new name is HOOVER, ask your boyfriend why." I miss that shirt..........*Mental not to self, buy new shirt and make another*

snoozan

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Do you know how to screenprint?

It's not easy-- I've been doing fine art screenprints for many years and it takes a fair bit of practice and discipline to get it right.

There are other ways of making tshirts-- iron ons of all sorts come to mind.

You could try it. I have some shirts that I'm looking to make myself, though I don't that it will ever really take off.

As far as copyright goes, the basic rule is that it has to be your own work/design. You can appropriate others' work as long as you make it fundamentally different enough to make it different. Not knowing what you'd put on your shirts, I can't give you a more specific answer.

Hockeytiger

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
That's a dumb attitude, there are billions of people doing all sorts of activities all over the world. I shouldn't make an effort to do something unless it's never been done before?

If it is what you want go for it, but realize that the competition is cutthroat in that business. I'd suggest not going all that deep into debt starting out. I don't want to throw cold water on you at all. If you are passionate about it, by all means, please try it out. Just be smart about it. Maybe think of it as a hobby at first. If you make decent money, then reinvest some of that money into better equipment, etc.

B_Monster

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I didn't say you shouldn't make an effort, just stating the facts. GO FOR IT AND GOOD LUCK! Dumb?

That's a dumb attitude, there are billions of people doing all sorts of activities all over the world. I shouldn't make an effort to do something unless it's never been done before?