Sen. Judd Greg declines Commerce Secretary Nomination

D_Tully Tunnelrat

Experimental Member
Media
Sen. Gregg (R) removed himself as the Commerce Secretary nominee. Judd Greg claimed that he could not be part of the Obama Cabinet, if he was not 100% with the Administration.

"The fault lies with me," Gregg said in an interview with Politico, refusing to discuss any conversations he has had with Obama himself. Asked if he felt the decision would be an embarrassment for the president, Gregg said, "I may have embarrassed myself but hopefully not him."

Judd Gregg Withdraws Commerce Secretary Nomination (VIDEO)

Countdown with Keith Olbermann - The Official Web site Countdown with Keith Olbermann

This is odd considering Gregg approached the Administration about the job with enthusiasm. Gregg ends up looking like a fool because of this, and Obama looks like he was had.

Repub. Whip Boehner's comment? "Wonderful." Classy.

Is the White House's taking control (the Rahminator) of the next Census the real issue, or are the Republicans simple incapable of being bi-partisan, as was heralded by Karl Rove (affectionately dubbed "Turd Blossom" by Keith Olberman) in today's WSJ editorial?

Bbucko

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
The White House is NOT taking control of the next census. This is the same paranoid bullshit as the revival of the Fairness Doctrine, another conservative talking point that attempts to drum up outrage over a non-existent issue. Here's a link to the Gregg fiasco with an emphasis on the census angle:

Gregg Links Withdrawal to Census Concerns - Federal Eye -

Bottom line? The Republicans in Congress are being the ultimate in sore losers by being obstructionist whiners. It ain't pretty.

D

deleted15807

I hope Obama has learned and he's learning the hard way until every Republican is cast out of Congress and out into the desert to walk for 40 years they are completely bankrupt like the many banks they unleashed to enter vast new worlds that eventually turned to sinking sand taking the world with them.

D_Tully Tunnelrat

Experimental Member
Media
Here's a link to the Gregg fiasco with an emphasis on the census angle:
Gregg Links Withdrawal to Census Concerns - Federal Eye -

The article does point out that Obama wants the Census director to report directly to him, which is a change of procedure. I would not construe it as "taking control," of the Census, but it certainly has opened the door for partisan controversy (what doesn't???) since Gregg was an opponent of greater Census spending, which given that is one of the major functions undertaken by Commerce, it makes you wonder why he wanted the Commerce Secretary job in the first place.

It is no wonder that the almost all white Republicans fear a more thorough, & comprehensive census count. No doubt minorities will be more accurately represented than in previous Censuses. Perhaps no less of a political landscape changer than the Republican redistricting in Bush's first term.

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I hope Obama has learned and he's learning the hard way until every Republican is cast out of Congress and out into the desert to walk for 40 years they are completely bankrupt like the many banks they unleashed to enter vast new worlds that eventually turned to sinking sand taking the world with them.

What about the Congressmen who are MOST in bed with these banks yer blabberin' about... Dodds and Franks?