Senator Caroline Kennedy?

sparky11point5

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Not to engage in mindless government-bashing (it's too easy to criticize). But, what is hard about being a Senator? She would have a small staff to help her acclimate to the process, and it seems that intelligence and good judgment are the most important qualities. She seems to have both, so why not?

She has to run in two years, so as a caretaker, she should do fine. In some ways, I prefer an outsider than a veteran politico as with some other candidates. I am not much of a fan of political dynasties, which seem to monarchial (look at GHWB and GWB).

vince

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
If she wants it let her RUN for office. Being appointed seems like she just gets it because of her name recognition. I don't like dynasty politicians or really even career politicians. Something about it strikes me as being unAmerican.

The Kennedys, the Bushes, the Clintons (sort of).

Politics shouldn't be a family business, at least not in America. Wasn't there a revolution a while back to stop the family business of politicians in the USA? :biggrin:
In the first years of the republic, you had the Adams family of Massachusetts. John Adams and John Quincy Adams, father and son, served as the second and sixth Presidents. In addition, John's father was Governor of Massachusetts and a signer the the Declaration of Independence. The Adams family was prominent though out 18th century American politics, serving in congress, as state legislators, in the military, as mayors, and judges. Teddy and Franklin Roosevelt were related as well. So it's not new to have political dynasties in US politics.

btw, I say go Caroline! I had a crush on her when I was in grade school. :rolleyes: She's smart, compassionate, well connected, not corrupt...why not?

midlifebear

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Bad bad bad news. What the F... are the Kennedys the Windsors... oligarchy...???!!!

Not qualified... and per the OPs opening post....

a lawyer.

Given congressional approval rating and how many are lawyers... let's give control to regular fucking ppl for once.

If you are so concerned about letting "regular fucking ppl for once" hold political office and power, then why waste your time bitching about it and run for office? You can start slow, like for an office with the local PTA. Then maybe a city or county office. It would certainly be more productive than just complaining about "those damn liberals who don't have any experience."

This is not meant just for Faceking, but for all of you losers who think whacking out your vitriol at the keyboard is somehow productive. It is not. You all come across like a bunch of losers. Most likely losers sitting in cheap made-in-China office chairs from Office Max as you wear dirty underwear and diddle yourselves. Losers. Plain and simple.:smile:

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
If you google Hillary Clintons professional experience and Caroline Kennedy's or mine for that matter...Caroline and I have better experience to hold the seat than Mrs. Clinton. I found Mrs. Clinton's remarks that Caroline Kennedy lacked the necessary experience based on her own lack of experience laughable.

devron

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Most people here could be a senator. Getting elected is probably 100 times more difficult than performing the duties.

Sweet Caroline is not doing well upstate.

Like Hillary, she's seen as a carpetbagger with no ties to upstate. Worse, she had lunch with Al Sharpton yesterday. Sharpton's history in upstate was ruined entirely when he backed a young woman who claimed she was raped by white police officers, smeared with feces, and left in a dumpster. Despite showing no medical signs of sexual assault, a sensational trial was held with the girl's side claiming there was a massive conspiracy to protect the three white men. Racial tensions escalated until finally the trial found the men not guilty and the girl admitted it was all a hoax.

The public prosecutor in the case won a judgement against Sharpton for defamation of character.

Sharpton is loathed upstate among whites and blacks alike because of his unscrupulous actions in this case.

Caroline Kennedy took a page from Hillary Clinton's playbook and began an upstate listening tour On Wednesday.

The road trip included stops in Syracuse, Rochester and Buffalo to help convince Gov. David Paterson and voters she's the one to replace Clinton in the U.S. Senate.

But it was a tough crowd.

The black SUV pulled up to Syracuse city hall Wednesday morning. It was stop one on Kennedy's upstate tour.

But after meeting with Mayor Matt Driscoll, she ran into a buzz saw -- angry reporters who wanted her to do more talking and less listening.

"But you've never held public office so what experience [do you have]?" one reporter asked.

Actually, she did speak briefly in Syracuse.

"I wanted to come upstate and meet with Mayor Driscoll and others to tell them about my experience and also learn more about how Washington can help these communities," Kennedy said.

Her quick remarks fell flat. Reporters seemed to feel brushed off and they pursued her out.

"You're not going to answer questions at all?" one asked.

"Where you headed next?" another demanded.

To the car.

Afterward, CBS 2 HD spoke with Mayor Driscoll by phone. He said that although Kennedy was gracious, he wasn't willing to back her candidacy … right now.

"I think it's premature for me to say that," Driscoll said. "I think there's a lot of great candidates out there.

"But at the end of the day I think it's important to have someone who represents you, knows New York State and really has an intimate knowledge of the state and upstate."

Stop two was in Rochester.

Clearly someone must have told her after she left Syracuse that it probably wasn't a good idea to dis reporters completely. In Rochester she opened up a whole lot more.

"What makes you think you can represent upstate?" she was asked.

"Well as I, first of all this was a great visit and I've already learned a lot and I want to come back," Kennedy said.

The question came again: What have you learned?

"It's a process so I just hope everybody understands this is not a campaign, but I have lived a life committed to public service, wrote a book on the constitution, the importance of independent participation, raised my family committed to education in New York City," Kennedy said.

A new poll by the Siena Research Institute shows New Yorkers divided about who Gov. Paterson should pick: 26 percent say it should be Andrew Cuomo, while 23 percent say it should be Kennedy. -WCBS

Notaguru2

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Although I voted for BHO and his "experience", I'm gonna have to say, "No" on Caroline. I think you at least have to answer the media's questions concerning your political positions. In her case, epic fail. She hasn't even come forth with her viewpoint on "choice".

I say pass. I think Hillary should be afforded the opportunity to make her recommendation.

outtosea

Just Browsing
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Working your way up to be governer of Alaska, takes a lot of hard work. Growing up a rich woman in NYC and wanting something to do? thats a Kennedy.
Its funny that she is now called Caroline Kennedy a few months ago she was Caroline Kennedy Shloshberg

mindseye

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Crisis averted.

Caroline Kennedy has officially requested that Gov. Patterson remove her from consideration to occupy the US Senate seat vacated by Hillary Clinton.

I had just heard the news (been a little out of the loop myself -- there was another shooting on my campus today...)

I hope this withdrawal isn't directly connected to Ted Kennedy's health.

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I had just heard the news (been a little out of the loop myself -- there was another shooting on my campus today...)

I hope this withdrawal isn't directly connected to Ted Kennedy's health.

Concern for Ted's health is ostensibly the rationale behind her move...at least that's her stated reason.

There are reports coming in that Patterson had already decided not to select her as the appointee, and that her withdrawal announcement is a move calculated to save some sort of face. Yay for unnecessary drama.

thadjock

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Crisis averted.

Caroline Kennedy has officially requested that Gov. Patterson remove her from consideration to occupy the US Senate seat vacated by Hillary Clinton.

if it's tru, it's too bad, NY'ers need to pull their heads out of their asses.

nobody would have had a better washington connection than CK.

and at least with a kennedy u can be pretty sure they're not going into politics for the money or fame of it, they already have plenty of both.

I think alot of the mindless opposition to her was just because she IS a kennedy and not because she's not qualified. I mean look at our governor, arnold never had political or executive experience before he became governor.

US senators have staffers and aids to do all their grunt work anyway, i'm pretty sure you could take ANY college grad and make a competent US senator out of them, and Mark Begich doens't even have a college degree.

another missed opportunity, destroyed by the media circus

bad move by patterson

but maybe she's planning on taking over teddy's seat, in which case i understand her move.

Last edited:

faceking

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
if it's tru, it's too bad, NY'ers need to pull their heads out of their asses.

nobody would have had a better washington connection than CK.

and at least with a kennedy u can be pretty sure they're not going into politics for the money or fame of it, they already have plenty of both.

I think alot of the mindless opposition to her was just because she IS a kennedy and not because she's not qualified. I mean look at our governor, arnold never had political or executive experience before he became governor.

US senators have staffers and aids to do all their grunt work anyway, i'm pretty sure you could take ANY college grad and make a competent US senator out of them, and Mark Begich doens't even have a college degree.

another missed opportunity, destroyed by the media circus

bad move by patterson

but maybe she's planning on taking over teddy's seat, in which case i understand her move.

Two wrongs don't make a right via Ahhhhhhhnold. She wasn't qualified AT ALL... it was a mockery for her to even be considered. Let her run for Congress first.

Me has a sneaking suspicion Uncle Teddy is going to retire, and recommend one of his remaining "children" to fill the vacancy.

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Two wrongs don't make a right via Ahhhhhhhnold. She wasn't qualified AT ALL... it was a mockery for her to even be considered. Let her run for Congress first.

Me has a sneaking suspicion Uncle Teddy is going to retire, and recommend one of his remaining "children" to fill the vacancy.

For once in this forum, we're in complete agreement.

thadjock

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Two wrongs don't make a right via Ahhhhhhhnold. She wasn't qualified AT ALL... it was a mockery for her to even be considered. Let her run for Congress first. /quote]

since when do you have to be a rep before you can be a senator?

and she's no more unqualified than george bush was when he ran for governor of tx. the only reason he won that was cuz of his daddy's money. he doesn't even have the skills to run an oil company and make a profit. We'll be living with the results of his inexperience for the next 50 yrs.

S

superbot

Why do people still persist in the hollow myth of the Kennedys?

Qua

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Why do people still persist in the hollow myth of the Kennedys?

Because the best two of them were shot and killed. Other than that...I've got nothing really.

After the Obama/Palin experience chest thumpings I don't think apointing Kennedy would have been a wise move at all. Ted's health makes a perfect face saving bow out for now. We'll see about what happens when he leaves the Senate.