Sep Blatter 'gay' apology.

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by B_mitchymo, Dec 17, 2010.

1. B_mitchymo

B_mitchymo New Member

Sep Blatter apologised for his comment in South Africa earlier this week after urging gay football fans not to engage in sexual relations when the world cup is hosted in Qatar.

An article here .

My question is, how do you feel about his apology? Should he of had to? Were the gay rights group in question over sensitive about the issue?

For me, i don't think he should of had to, not for his comment itself. It was inappropriate to bother bringing up such an issue tho.

2. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    I think it's just another example of his ineptitude.

3. D_Tim McGnaw

D_Tim McGnaw Account Disabled

It was inappropriate to raise the issue with FIFA that Qatar has a woeful human rights record, in specific in relation to its treatment of gay people? Really?

Is that what you mean?

4. B_mitchymo

B_mitchymo New Member

I think it was inappropriate of Sep Blatter to make the comment, but i also think the rights group are being over sensitive and that an apology should'nt have been required.

5. Jason

Gold Member

Qatar has enormous human rights issues around the Asian migrant workers who work in conditions frequently little better than slavery. There are major issues around its bad treatment of women. Homosexuality is a crime in Qatar. Sodomy attracts a penalty of 5 years in prison. The law is enforced against foreigners. An American in 1995 got 6 months in prison and 90 lashes.

The reality is that people who wish to engage in homosexual sex are unwise to do so in Qatar as the penalties are so extreme. 90 lashes may well kill. Presumably gay football supporters will decide that they cannot risk going to Qatar, especially as there is a religious drive to seek out people who are homosexuals so that they may be punished.

The world should boycott a World Cup in Qatar. It is inappropriate to give international approval to a nation whose breaches of human rights are so extreme. I'm aware that few nations are whiter than white on human rights, but Qatar is pitch black.

We need the outcry to start now. Maybe there are enough years to bring about change in Qatar. But it would certainly help if the nations of the free world made it clear now that they will be advising their teams and supporters that it is unsafe to travel to Qatar.

6. Jason

Gold Member

I'm not all that bothered by his comments. They are pretty much on a par with women's football would be better if the players wore tighter shorts. What bothers me is that FIFA have given their support to a nation so sunk in the depravity of human rights abuses that we should be taking every opportunity to hit them over the head with a stick. I'm also horrified that the nations of the free world seem to be going along with this. Are people turning a bling eye to some of the worse human rights abuses on our planet because somehow they might seem bad loosers if they speak out?

7. B_mitchymo

B_mitchymo New Member

Unsafe?

Surely Qatar would be treating this event with perhaps unprecedented attention and security. How often does any middle eastern nation get to host a global event?

Their human rights record is indeed apalling by our standards, but, is it appropriate to use this event to make our distaste clear?
    I would never want to go to the middle east ever, Egypt as a tourist maybe would be the closest i would go. For those who do decide to go, they should be respectful of the fact that Qatar is Qatar and use common sense. Seb's comment is a bit inappropriate, really it should be the foreign office giving out such cautions, but all he has done is remind people to remember that Qatar is a very different nation to the usual world cup hosts.

I don't see where the offense is tbh, just seems like an opportunistic potshot by a rights group at Yemen.

8. D_Tim McGnaw

What are you on? :rolleyes: The shite you come out with is priceless. You think it's an opportunistic potshot to actually bother to point out that the World Cup is going to be held in a country in which gay people like you and me suffer extreme and very serious forms of persecution and that there are serious moral and ethical issues surrounding international endorsement of this country. That Sepp Blatter should dismiss these concerns with a tasteless and dismissive joke, when people in Qatar are in prison for having done little more than have consenting adult sex with someone else, is deeply reprehensible. If you think that his completely inappropriate joviality about a serious issue is perfectly justifiable then you're moral compass is totally skewed.

You think gay football fans should be expected to simply put up with the fact that they might be imprisoned if they visit Qatar during the World Cup and fall foul of its obscene laws against homosexuality and shut up about it? I mean why should they? FIFA has fucked them over, I mean why should Gay football fans not be totally enraged with FIFA?

9. B_mitchymo

B_mitchymo New Member

If anyone else cares to ask the same questions you just have, i will answer.
    Your opening comment however further paints you as the guy i know you to be Hilaire.
    You would make a much better mudslinger than moderator. Don't talk to me ever again. If a mod needs to communicate with me, someone else would be respected. The agreement i made in regards to VinylBoy now extends to you.

10. D_Tim McGnaw

:rolleyes: Yawn, I made a swear, so I'm a bad Mod. Shite.

#10 D_Tim McGnaw, Dec 17, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  11. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

This is Blatter's comment:

"I would say that they should refrain from any sexual activities.

"But we are living in a world of freedom and I’m sure that when the World Cup will be in Qatar, and this will be in 2022, and you see in the Middle East the opening of this culture … it’s an other culture because it’s an other religion … but in football we have no boundaries. We open everything to everybody and I think there should not be any discrimination against any human beings, being on this side or that side, or left or right, or whatever, because football is a game that does not effect any discrimination and we don’t want to have any discrimination. So you may be ensured that whatever people produce until 2022, and if they want to watch a match somewhere, in Qatar [in] 2022, I’m sure they will be admitted to such matches."

I don't see anything outrageous there. The original comment was, to my mind (and I don't expect agreement), a very harmless joke.
    And his followup remarks made clear that he does not approve of discrimination.
    I have to wonder if those followup remarks, which were made as part of an ongoing statement, were properly reported.
    I find his heart is in the right place, and his tiny (very tiny) display of contempt for political correctness at the beginning is if anything heartening.
    I suspect he's a pleasant man who might work a bit on his English.

12. B_mitchymo

B_mitchymo New Member

Lets make this clear shall we. Don't talk to me like i've already asked.

It has nothing to do with you swearing, its your insult attached to it.

I got offended by VinylBoy because he started getting offensive, calling me a bigot for holding a different point of view, I don't ever intend to be insulting when i debate with others, even when they hold different views, but its different when they start throwing insults, particulaly in VB's case, they were untrue, and here you are, a moderator no less, initiating a response to a conversation which was perfectly civilised in all of its first seven posts by accusing me of talking shite. That is insulting and it is provocative. And that is exactly as i have come to know you. Your first contact with me as a moderator was to be vindictive and dredging up my banning. You are very charming, very smart and witty Hilaire, but you are also a bitchy manipulative provocateur.

I'm done with you. Say what you like, i'm not engaging in any further communication with you from this point on.

13. D_Tim McGnaw

This isn't true. :rolleyes:

#13 D_Tim McGnaw, Dec 17, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  14. D_Tim McGnaw

Watching the footage of the interview gives a slightly different slant to the statements.

Besides does he really think Qatar will suddenly stop being a deeply homophobic state just because the World Cup is going to be held there? I don't think he does, I think the rest of his statement was mealy mouthed buzz-phrasing which he thought would cover his basic indifference to the subject. I think his flippance was the real sign of how seriously he takes the issue.

FIFA has done little or nothing of any substance to combat homophobia in the sport of Soccer why should we presume he means what he says about Qatar?

15. D_Gunther Snotpole

D_Gunther Snotpole Account Disabled

Nor do I.

Not my reading, but to each his own.

16. D_Myer_Dogasflees

D_Myer_Dogasflees New Member

No Practicing Muslims in Brazil 2014!!!

It is not really Blatter's fault, besides for choosing Qatar perhaps, it is Qatar that doesn't allow and actually criminalizes homosexuality.

Their neighbors Iran and Iraq have the death penalty for homosexuality and the other one, Syria you will be imprisoned for 3 years. In Qatar it is 5 to 10 years in prison. Can you imagine what it would be like if we had such laws for Muslims? It sounds much like the holocaust.

#16 D_Myer_Dogasflees, Dec 18, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
  17. Rikter8

Gold Member

Albums:
    Well, we could all have a massive gay pride parade upon their arrival and see if the town implodes on itsef..

18. Jason

Gold Member

There is the purist view that wrong is wrong and we should simply stick to our guns and condemn Qatar for its severe human rights abuses, and I tend to think this is both easiest and has most integrity. But there is also the view that we have to live in the world in which we find ourselves. The reality is that openly gay people should not travel to many Islamic nations and this advice is on the UK's Foreign and Commonwealth website. The extent of support the UK would give a gay person who flouted this advice would be limited - in the first case the UK would argue that local law must be upheld. Logically SB is exactly right - gays either shouldn't go or shouldn't have sex.

The disaster would be if Qatar continues its present practice of actively seeking out gay tourists. At the moment most are "just" deported, but flogging and long prison terms are possible and do sometimes happen even for tourists. It is quite possible that an Islamic group will put energy into actively seeking out gay people during the World Cup, both supporters and footballers, and it is hard to see how any state can just ignore its own laws. The worst case scenario would be if an unofficial gay pride style event tried to take on Qatar as this would back the government into a corner.

What none of us can know is what the position will be come 2012. Possibly Qatar will have made big advances by then (all things are possible). Possibly Qatar will legislate to permit certain freedoms to foreign tourists during the World Cup. But in the absence of either of these I think the inevitable British advice to gay people will be that it is too dangerous to go there.

19. Joll

Gold Member

Albums:
    Cheers for posting his full comment, Hhuck - I hadn't seen that bit; you're probably right that they weren't properly reported.

His follow-up statements sound ok. I still think it was a bit unwise to raise the issue as he did, maybe addressing it behind the scenes and trying to make progress, would've been more sensible? Hindsight, tho. :p

20. nudeyorker

Gold Member

joll you and Hhuck are so wizened!

Draft saved Draft deleted