Separation of Church and State

Northland

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The U. S. Constitution grants the U. S. Government no power whatsoever over religion.
So you're saying that Clinton and his boys never should have stormed into the Koresh compound in Waco? After all the Branch Davidians were a religion of some sort.

Tell us more.

Mick Jagger

Just Browsing
Media
The pharase is identified with the first ammendment, however it is stated basicly that there is free practice of religion.

Jefferson had his head up his butt when he said the First Amendment built a wall of separation. Who can tell us why?

The actual phrase building a wall between church and state was written in a letter by Thomas Jefferson.
That's nice to know. I thought it came from the Soviet Union's Constitution.

It has subsequently been intrepeted by the supreme court.
What's been interpreted?

That said I feel that there is no wall between church and state in the US
Huh?

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
That's nice to know. I thought it came from the Soviet Union's Constitution.

A Russian and an American sitting together in a bar.. the American turns to the Russian and asks "So what is the difference between capitalism and communism?" "Simple", replies the Russian, "In capitalism man exploits man! In communism it is the other way around!" :rolleyes::biggrin1:

nudeyorker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I think Jefferson is a very interesting figure. Anyone recommend a good Biography?
Thomas Jefferson Author of America by Christopher Hitchens...
I'll be in your neck of the woods in a few weeks...do you want to borrow it.
And the answer to your next post...There would be more lawyers!

Phil Ayesho

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Um...

Noooo....

THe US constitution does not mention God once.
It does mention religion, Twice.

In Article 6 is say that no religious test shall ever be allowed for holding any office within government.

This very carefully ensures that the government CAN NOT consider any religious belief, nor lack of religious belief, in hiring or electing government officials.

Secondly... there is the first amendment which forbids the government from ANY action that might favor any religion....

Which mean no money going to them, no law endorsing any religious practice,, no favoritism can be shown to any religion.

The Phrase "separation of Church and State" was used frequently by Adams, Jefferson, and Madison in describing the specific intent of the constitution's construction.

So, you're wrong. The men who WROTE the constitution made quite clear exactly what the founding fathers intended the document to do--- which was to create a SECULAR state.

Adams wrote that history shall never state that we were driven by any divine inspiration...but rather created this government entirely as the result of reason...

Adams and Washington, in fact, in treaty negotiations with Tripoli stated quite clearly that the United States was NOT, never has been, and never shall be a 'christian nation'.

Therefore... the people who wrote the document, who crafted this nation, were quite clear as to their intentions. They wanted this government to be the first in history totally unaffiliated with any faith.

And as to the phrase not being in the constitution...
Next time you run a red light why don't you try telling the judge that the light did not say the word "stop".

Your statement is about that ridiculous.

ManlyBanisters

Sexy Member
Media
I think Jefferson is a very interesting figure. Anyone recommend a good Biography?

Christopher Hitchens wrote one - dunno if it is any good or not - I've heard it is not the usual yadayada - his one on Kissinger was a good read.

Edit: Just saw this:

Thomas Jefferson Author of America by Christopher Hitchens...
I'll be in your neck of the woods in a few weeks...do you want to borrow it.
And the answer to your next post...There would be more lawyers!

I'll trust this man's opinion :biggrin:

But nudey - don't you think Drifter could afford to pick up a copy for himself :rolleyes: :wink: - or perhaps he still has his local library card... :tongue:

Mick Jagger

Just Browsing
Media
Um...

Noooo....

THe US constitution does not mention God once.

It does mention religion, Twice.

What does the word "religion" in the Constitution mean?

In Article 6 is say that no religious test shall ever be allowed for holding any office within government.
Why was that a blunder?

This very carefully ensures that the government CAN NOT consider any religious belief, nor lack of religious belief, in hiring or electing government officials.

What else did it do?

Secondly... there is the first amendment which forbids the government from ANY action that might favor any religion....
Why doesn't it matter what the First Amendment means?

Which mean no money going to them, no law endorsing any religious practice,, no favoritism can be shown to any religion.
What methodology of interpretation did you use to determine that?

The Phrase "separation of Church and State" was used frequently by Adams, Jefferson, and Madison in describing the specific intent of the constitution's construction.
Show us where Madison and Adams used it.

So, you're wrong. The men who WROTE the constitution made quite clear exactly what the founding fathers intended the document to do--- which was to create a SECULAR state.
Show us evidence.

Adams wrote that history shall never state that we were driven by any divine inspiration...but rather created this government entirely as the result of reason...
Who says we're supposed to gather the meaning of the constitution from that?

Adams and Washington, in fact, in treaty negotiations with Tripoli stated quite clearly that the United States was NOT, never has been, and never shall be a 'christian nation'.
Who says we're supposed to gather the meaning of the constitution from that?

Therefore... the people who wrote the document, who crafted this nation, were quite clear as to their intentions. They wanted this government to be the first in history totally unaffiliated with any faith.
Rhode Island had already done that, dude.

And as to the phrase not being in the constitution...
Next time you run a red light why don't you try telling the judge that the light did not say the word "stop".
It's only rock and roll...