September 11

Discussion in 'Politics' started by davidjh7, Sep 11, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. davidjh7

Gold Member

I just wanted to take a moment to remember, and acknoledge an event that changed the world. Regardless of your politics or beliefs, great evil, and great heroism occured on that day. Please take a moment to reflect on what it meant to your life, and those you loved, and those you lost from that event. I want to thank those who have served, regardless of the sins of the leaders, they are to always be honored, and treated with gratitude. This goes for all who worked to make a difference. My thoughts go out to those who lost so much, and can never get it back. Thank you for this moment to remember.

2. Drifterwood

Gold Member

Beautifully put, David.

3. dandelion

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    It is difficult to respond tactfully to this kind of post but perhaps it is important to do so. The Uk is accustomed to terrorist attacks, or at least those of us over a certain age are. Those of us even older are accustomed to having our capital city reduced to rubble. How many bombs have there been where you live in your lifetime?

Neither the destruction nor the heroism on that day changed my life at all. The reaction of the US to the attacks changed it, and by general consensus for the worse.

4. Horrible

Horrible New Member

Albums:
    Maybe if your government had a similar reaction, you would not be experiencing continued attacks.

5. davidjh7

Gold Member

I put the post up as a point of rememberance of an important moment in world history, and to encourage others to reflect on what it meant to them. And to honor the courage and self sacrifice of many as a result of that event. Please take it in the spirit it was given. If you wish to refer to WWII and its effect on Britain, hat is fine---we were there supporting your country, long before we were officially in the war. And we spent a fortune helping to rebuild it after the war as well. But I am sure you have conveiniently forgotten that little bit of history.

6. dandelion

Verified Gold Member

Albums:
    Verified:
    Photo
    No, I have not forgotten that the main result of two world wars was to enrich the US and make it the most powerful nation on earth. I cannot even honestly say the US did not set out to do this. It did not start the wars, but the US already had a perfectly natural national interest in improving its world standing and it took the opportunities offered. The US did not formally enter either war until it had no alternative, preferring simply to sell munitions to the combatants. I would agree that the US tended to favour the side Britain was on in both wars, but even there sentiment was split in the highly Germanic US.

You didnt spend anything rebuilding the UK after the wars. What you did was demand immediate repayment of war loans owed to the US. Yes, you did rebuild Germany after WW2, but after ww1 you joined the clamour for reparations which impossible demands eventually led to WW2.

I think my point is that this event uniquely had an effect on the US. Other countries are accustomed to terrorist activity from time to time. The US went through two world wars and ever since relatively unscathed by direct atacks upon its homeland and this has perhaps given it an unrealistic view of what what war really is.

7. Horrible

Horrible New Member

Albums:

You sir, may go fuck yourself.

America, FUCK YEAH!

8. davidjh7

Gold Member

I am going to ask the moderators to close this thread, since the original intent was not to debate, but to offer rememberance of a horrific event. It is obvious that some feel that this event is unimportant and only worthy or vitriol, and those who have had their lives forever changed deserve better. Thank you for your thoughts.

9. D_Percy_Prettywillie

D_Percy_Prettywillie Account Disabled

I'm sorry, I agree. We should just get on board with thousands of our people being senselessly slaughtered in a mindless attack by religious extremists because the English are comfortable setting fire to their own capital city? You're pissed because the United States bailed you out of not one but two World Wars (wars which appeasement from your own addle minded moron of a Prime Minister helped to foster)?

Horrible and I really don't see eye to eye on very much but in a thread commemorating, not soldiers or a war, but civilians who had their lives needlessly cut short, you come up with comments like that one?

It disgusts me to a level I typically reserve for other Americans. I'm comfortable being grossed out by the south in this fashion. I'm comfortable being grossed out by episodes of the Jersey Shore in this fashion. But I have plenty of friends in the UK and typically they are the people to whom I turn when I feel my own level of tact is somewhat lacking. But statements like yours? They have the capacity to shame an entire people.

JSZ

10. D_Percy_Prettywillie

D_Percy_Prettywillie Account Disabled

Oh, and if Horrible get's warned for saying "Go fuck yourself," I want to be warned for it too.

JSZ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.