September 11th - 5th anniversary

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by B_Stronzo, Aug 16, 2006.

1. B_Stronzo

B_Stronzo New Member

We're coming up on five years since that day shortly.

It's my observation that as a culture Americans like to celebrate or let's say "overly commemorate" ourselves. Rhode Island, for instance, has recently noted "VG day" or "Victory Over Japan Day".

Case in point is the John F. Kennedy assasination and how every time a significant amount of time goes by (25 yrs, 30 yrs, 40yrs) there's a revisitation to the events. And then there's the "do you remember where you were when you heard" question invariably.

My suggest is this;

As a culture Americans seem to like to recognize and renew interest in catastrophic events a bit too much for my taste. For me as an American it seems almost counterproductive to the collective psychological well being of the nation.

Does anyone know of a five year anniversary marking of the events of 9-11 in the works?

Should the date (and its fifth anniversary) be a footnote to the news or should a national day of mourning be observed? What would be in the best interest of the families who remain who lost those they love that day? (since, for me, they're the ones who need to be respected most).

2. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

Interesting points, Stronzo. In my most humble of opinions, we, as a nation, need to find a happy medium between forgetting and sensationalising. Exactly what that might entail, I couldn't say. Forgetting about it would trivialise the importance of the event in our history. By the same token, making too much of it, in a way, legitimises those who perpetrated the crime. Thoughts?

3. Expando1

Expando1 New Member

I've forgotten more than I know and remember that which I'd rather forget.

4. noface60

noface60 Member

Albums:
    (It's Stronzo!) I believe that it should not be made into a national holiday or anything like that. But should instead be a personal reflection of the ones affected by the accident. (I feel the same way about the fact that August 29th is coming up for Katrina. Simple self-reflection can be healthy to the soul)

5. B_Stronzo

B_Stronzo New Member

Okay. What's this mean? :33: Hell. The threads were getting a bit trite, n'est-ce pas? I thought we needed something a bit meatier.:cool:

This sounds right.

I cannot tell you how tired I am of the traditional holidays (Fourth of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, etc...) being adapted into extended weekends for the drunken convenience of the American public. In my mind it trivializes these holidays and makes them about "Presidents' Day" Sales. Rather than marking the significance of two of our greatest presidents George Washington and Abraham Lincoln.

From a generational standpoint my familiy's always made a big event out of the Fourth of July. I have a nifty photo of four generations of my dad's family (taken in 1910) taken at just one of these events. The remembrance of this day in family oral history is huge. It was a day of reflection of truly what it meant to be American in the truest sense of the word. Still my cousins have a clambake that day at an old house back home... and political discussions are forbidden but everyone overstuffs themselves on shellfish and the barn is set up as a bar. It's about as American as one can possibly feel. And there isn't a "flag waver" in sight.

But after all is said and done my cousin (generally) makes a non-partisan speech about the value of our inclusion in this society. For me that's the real 4th of July celebration. It's a quiet family tradition that's been recognized back into the 19th century and I think it's respectiful and honorable.

So - for me subtlety is key.

September 11th is another deal entirely.

I'm curious to see what the media does with it.

6. DC_DEEP

Gold Member

I can't begin to tell you how much I agree with you on that. Do you have any idea how much harassment I have gotten (both at work and in my private life) because I don't celebrate the christian holidays? "Oh, come on, DC, get into the spirit, decorate your office, join in the gift exchange, etc etc etc." None of them, even my family, seem to understand when I say "I'm not a christian, and it makes me feel dirty to trivialize the meaning of the holiday (which actually means Holy Day) by playing along. How can you debase your faith like that?"
    Oh, I'm not curious about that at all. I know what they will do with it, and it turns my stomach.

7. noface60

noface60 Member

Albums:
    I'm not sure what that sentence means (especially the non english part (i think its french)). But I was simply exclaiming because I was excited of your retuen.

8. D_Humper E Bogart

D_Humper E Bogart New Member

Expando has a point. Will we be remebering the sould who died, who mourn the loss of two buildings?

9. Shelby

Gold Member

I don't want to disrespect anyone but, I'm down for as many paid holidays as we can get.

9/11 does seem like a bad choice though. Unless we turned it on its head and instead of primarily focusing on the tragedy we redirected our focus to the heroes.

National Rescue Workers Day! Honor our Firefighters, Policemen, Paramedics, etc. for the good things they do. Of course we'd have to take time out from the celebration to memorialize those who perished.

Develop a negative into a positive picture. I think it could work.

10. DaveyR

DaveyR Retired Moderator
    Gold Member

Back in the UK we observe 2 minutes silence each year on Armistice Sunday (Sunday nearest November 11th). This is a very effective way of remembering those who perished without turning it into a celebration.

Before I left the UK last year I noticed in the last few years we were observing a 1 or 2 minute silence for major catastrophes more and more often.

I am not sure if this is something you do already in the US?

11. brainzz_n_dong

brainzz_n_dong New Member

Hollywood struggles to come up with original ideas for movies, instead turning each summer into some combo of sequel-itis/remake-amokus. Is it any wonder the news outlets do the same when an anniversary date of some big event rolls around?

12. B_Stronzo

B_Stronzo New Member

n'est-ce pas = "isn't that so?" in French and thanks.

Are you as excited as in your gallery shots?:33::cool: If so.. come give me your one percent.

13. noface60

noface60 Member

Albums:
    lol. more percent jokes. i'm 95%/5% now. so that would be my 5%.

14. ranger1980

ranger1980 New Member

Great Topic Stronzo. 9/11 was a tragic day in this country, and we shouldn't forget what happened. That being said however, I agree with many of your posts in that all aspects of the media have sensationalised the event to the point it is absurd. Everytime there is a terrorist event elsewhere, or an event is stopped before it happens, you hear that it is going to be the next 9/11. Do I think we should we need compare everything to 9/11: Nope. It happened, but do we need to constantly bring it up. We know it happened, and many people died. It was tragic, but how are we as a nation to heal from such events if everytime you turn around it is brought up in comparison to other events to strike fear into Americans. I think part of the problems is the media turns EVERYTHING into a story if you watch the news networks (CNN, Fox, MSN) it really is just the same knews repeated every half hour. Do we honestly need that many news networks? I work full-time as a Firefighter/Paramedic, and I will remember where I was when it happened(school), the big thing it made me realize was, I don't know what can or will happen when I go to work. Yes it happened in New York, but it also hit Pennsylvania, and it could have been ANYWHERE in the US.

The other reason we constantly bring it up is that we don't want people to forget, but at what extent do we go to remember the event. If you look at students today, do the know the signifigance of 12/7/41? I would say no, because they weren't around. Do you see Americans that were alive then constantly bringing it up at every turn of events. I think 9/11 should be remembered like many Dec. 7 events, a brief feature at a blurb at the bottom of the screen. That is my opinion, if you have any questions, comments, concerns, gripes, or moans, feel free to ask.

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.

15. B_Stronzo

B_Stronzo New Member

Thanks for the thoughtful comments ranger.

In my view this event's been so politicized (even from the beginning with the Bush photos "ops" at ground zero) that it's lost any sense of perspective. I presented this thread topic to see if there exists, these five years later, any real sense of the proportion of the WTC tragedy given the monstrous subsequent civilian losses to Iraq and the losses within our own military due to a war whose very premise is based in lies and intentional deception.

Therein lies something which truly needs to be memoralized and honored with a sense of propotional loss and a bow of a head and more than a pseudo patriotic bumper sticker.

And Shelby?

You miss the point. It's not about getting another day off. :rolleyes:

16. SpeedoGuy

Gold Member

Albums:
    I'm puzzled and troubled about why so many Americans want to sensationalize catastrophic events into television specials or ostentatious public memorials (complete with popcorn stands and tacky souvenirs, God forbid). Do other nations do this? Do we suffer from some kind of unhealthy voyeuristic impulse or a form of schadenfreude? It sometimes seems so to me.

I'm not saying we should forget the past but I sometimes get the feeling we inadvertantly trivialize important events by turning them into holidays. Is there another way to remember the losses? Perhaps its up to the individual.

17. invisibleman

Gold Member

As far as September 11 reconstitutions, I think that it would be proper to just live on with our lives with renewed respect of each other. Love and appreciate life. Don't watch any television, don't log in on the internet, listen to the radio, or read a newspaper on that day. Go and be happy. Go do something fun with some great friends or with your family. :smile:

WARNING: Don't make the mistake of seeing Oliver Stone's "World Trade Center". That fucker put you right in "Ground Zero" on September 11, 2001. It is one of those films you see at the movies and never see it again. :cool:

Draft saved Draft deleted