Sergio Mendes meets The Peas

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
How'd I know you'd answer Sorcerer?:33: I think we're cousins.

Few things have caught my interest musically to this degree in a very long time. The whole thing's just hot.

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
naughty said:
That was wonderful but I dont think it was too much of a stretch for you since you already love Brazillian Jazz. I did love the update on the Sergio Mendes classic though....

Your memory is good naughty. But if I admitted to most of my true Brazilian Jazz/Bossa Nova aficionado friends that I even entertained the idea of finding Sergio Mendes good I'd be drummed out of the corps.

Stan Getz? Charlie Bird? Joao and Astrud Gilberto? Yes. But I am a closet Sergio fan and have been since I was turned onto a song called "So Many Stars" with Lani Hall (who's also featured in this remake of Mas Que Nada).

That song's hauntingly good.

But the funk spin, the more I listen to it, adds extra sexuality to the original.

Do I get a B+ for effort at least?:wink:

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Stronzo said:
Your memory is good naughty. But if I admitted to most of my true Brazilian Jazz/Bossa Nova aficionado friends that I even entertained the idea of finding Sergio Mendes good I'd be drummed out of the corps.

Stan Getz? Charlie Bird? Joao and Astrud Gilberto? Yes. But I am a closet Sergio fan and have been since I was turned onto a song called "So Many Stars" with Lani Hall (who's also featured in this remake of Mas Que Nada).

That song's hauntingly good.

But the funk spin, the more I listen to it, adds extra sexuality to the original.

Do I get a B+ for effort at least?:wink:

Sweetie,

Stop self flagellating. We have many on board who can do a much better job for you! :biggrin1: No really, I know what you mean about Senor Mendes, and his ever changing line up of nubile singers to front his geriatric band . As far as Bossa Nova is concerned, if Charlie Byrd's label had listened to him the sound would have been closer to what we heard in "Black Orpheus". The soft sensual guitar of Luis Bonfa would have won out rather than the braying of Stan Getz' sax. But I do have to thank him for picking it up. We would have missed such beauty otherwise.

D_Elijah_MorganWood

Expert Member
Media
Stronzo said:
How'd I know you'd answer Sorcerer?:33: I think we're cousins.
Yes, the evidence is mounting.

Few things have caught my interest musically to this degree in a very long time. The whole thing's just hot.
It reminds me of the time I was seduced by a hot green-eyed South American...that was a fun few weeks...and repeated flings...for 4 years...

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
naughty said:
Sweetie,

Stop self flagellating.
But it feels so good when I stop... :cool:

We have many on board who can do a much better job for you! :biggrin1:

Come to think of it, we do.

No really, I know what you mean about Senor Mendes, and his ever changing line up of nubile singers to front his geriatric band . As far as Bossa Nova is concerned, if Charlie Byrd's label had listened to him the sound would have been closer to what we heard in "Black Orpheus". The soft sensual guitar of Luis Bonfa would have won out rather than the braying of Stan Getz' sax. But I do have to thank him for picking it up. We would have missed such beauty otherwise.

Well HELLO naughty!!

I be likin' this conversation. I had no clue I was among such sympathetic friends. How very perceptive ....:smile:

If you ever find it naughty (perhaps you already know it) there's a wonderful album (1964??) "Getz au Go Go" and a cut where Astrud sings the most charming song to that very "bray" of Getz' sax of which you speak.

It's "The Telephone Song". It's just sung live and epitomizes the "feel" of it.

Here you go: Scroll one tenth of the way down and hear a bit of it (#7) and play it on Windows Media

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000046TR/102-8025279-4834504?v=glance&n=5174

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
If the stories are true can you believe that Astrud Gilberto's career happened as a fluke by being married to Joao ? THey say Jobim had just scratched out "Girl from Ipanema" , called her out of the kitchen and had her run through it and the rest is history.
Do you ever listen to those sampler CD's from Jazziz magazine? I heard the most wonderful Samba from John Pizarelli's(sp?) "Bossa Nova"album called "Soares Samba"

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...734988-6281402?_encoding=UTF8&v=glance&n=5174

This is what Bossa Nova would have sounded like if Charlie Byrd's label had allowed him to record it first. Much softer... Enjoy listening....

Stronzo said:
But it feels so good when I stop... :cool:

Come to think of it, we do.

Well HELLO naughty!!

I be likin' this conversation. I had no clue I was among such sympathetic friends. How very perceptive ....:smile:

If you ever find it naughty (perhaps you already know it) there's a wonderful album (1964??) "Getz au Go Go" and a cut where Astrud sings the most charming song to that very "bray" of Getz' sax of which you speak.

It's "The Telephone Song". It's just sung live and epitomizes the "feel" of it.

Here you go: Scroll one tenth of the way down and hear a bit of it (#7) and play it on Windows Media

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000046TR/102-8025279-4834504?

v=glance&n=5174

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
naughty said:
If the stories are true can you believe that Astrud Gilberto's career happened as a fluke by being married to Joao ? THey say Jobim had just scratched out "Girl from Ipanema" , called her out of the kitchen and had her run through it and the rest is history.

Yes. I heard her interviewed at the local Jazz station here in Boston about ten years ago and she maintains it's the truth. Her speaking voice is barely above a whisper. Also- she said her succes lies mainly in the fact that she has no vibratto. Ask me it's alot more than that.

Here's another gem and thanks for the link... will check it out now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9kaTWx3y9E&search=astrud%20gilberto

fratpack

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I, for one, have no hesitation in admitting that I love, enjoy, whatever the music of Sergio Mendes, and all the Gilbertos', mostly the music of their daughter Bebel.
Sounds very much like her Mother.
As for the Black Eyed Peas - can't say that I am much of a fan and honestly the woman who was there before Fergie had a heck of a better voice.....she became another victim of the music industry and though she has recorded on her own since then, she has no where near the success she deserves.

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
What a great clip. Yes, that would make sense, since the voice is used like yet another layer of instrumentation in Bossa Nova Ah, the percussive usage of lyrics...though it would have helped to have known the language, I would hazard a guess that Americans were able to get an almost pure idea of how the lyric worked percussively by not having the disadvantage of knowing what was being said when heard in the orginal Portuguese. But on the flip side, some of the most wonderful poetry was also missed...

Stronzo said:
Yes. I heard her interviewed at the local Jazz station here in Boston about ten years ago and she maintains it's the truth. Her speaking voice is barely above a whisper. Also- she said her succes lies mainly in the fact that she has no vibratto. Ask me it's alot more than that.

Here's another gem and thanks for the link... will check it out now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t9kaTWx3y9E&search=astrud%20gilberto

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
fratpack said:
I, for one, have no hesitation in admitting that I love, enjoy, whatever the music of Sergio Mendes, and all the Gilbertos', mostly the music of their daughter Bebel.
Sounds very much like her Mother.
As for the Black Eyed Peas - can't say that I am much of a fan and honestly the woman who was there before Fergie had a heck of a better voice.....she became another victim of the music industry and though she has recorded on her own since then, she has no where near the success she deserves.

I like some of Bebel's work but I don't think she can aspire to be nearly as good as her mother. JMHO mind you.

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
naughty said:
What a great clip. Yes, that would make sense, since the voice is used like yet another layer of instrumentation in bossa nova. the percussive usage of lyrics...Though It would have helped to have known the language I would hazzard to say that Americans were able to get an almost pure idea of how the lyric worked percussively by not having the disadvantage of knowing what was being said when heard in the orginal Portuguese. But on the flip side some of the most wonderful poetry was also missed...

Do you know she sang The Girl from Ipanema phonetically when she recorded it for general distribution? She didn't learn English until much later. I entirely agree with you about the music in Portuguese. I still sing the "Stronzo" version of phonetic Portugese to Mas Que Nada, Desifinado, et al. I wonder how a Portuguese speaking person would laugh if they heard me chirping away in my car...:cool:

fratpack

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Stronzo said:
I like some of Bebel's work but I don't think she can aspire to be nearly as good as her mother. JMHO mind you.

Hey Stronzo, no problem here, I'm just saying, for myself, I like her better, but absolutley her Mother is iconic....no one can compare to Astrid.

naughty

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I tend to agree with you. I wish you could hear Billy Eckstine's version of "Felicidade" .I had never heard his voice in its prime. It is just exquisite and I give him extra props for learning the Portuguese... I bet he wasnt the only man who wanted to run away to Rio after seeing "Black Orpheus"...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000001EBX/sr=8-1/qid=1149219296/ref=pd_bbs_1/103-2734988-6281402?%5Fencoding=UTF8

While you are at it, listen to Shirley Horn's "Amor em paz"...

Stronzo said:

Dr. Dilznick

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Unacceptable.

Leave it to the Black Eyed mother fucking Peas to ruin a perfectly good song. The chinaman or whatever the fuck he is in the group had one of two choices. Become a back-alley rapist or pursue a music career. Freakish nigga couldn't survive in the real world. Besides that, they did have a viable career making $100 a show and impressing backpacking lames before they decided to sell out something horrible and make millions and add a goddamn crackette to the mix. They went from barely listenable to full-blown audio cancer around the time their album titles began to look like something you could buy in a goddamn gift shop at the zoo. Spare Fergie, kill the rest. Rape Fergie.. kill her afterward.

B_Stronzo

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
naughty said:
I tend to agree with you. I wish you could hear Billy Eckstine's version of "Felicidade" .I had never heard his voice in its prime.
I can sense it in that short piece. What I particularly liked about it was the indigenous South American sound to the intro before he started singing ... very reminiscent of Getz's version of "Berimbao" at it's introduction before Astrud sings. Pure pure stuff.

While you are at it, listen to Shirley Horn's "Amor em paz"...

You and I were separated at birth musically. For years I hunted for a haunting theme from the movie Agatha (starring Vanessa Redgrave and Dustin Hoffman) which was, I think, produced in the late 80s. The theme from it; Close Enough for Love was mesmeric. Shirley's version is good but not her best singing.

However, the arranger/producer Johnny Mandel (who's helped Diana Krall with IMO her best work to date) produced Shirley Horn's album Here's to Life which is one of the ONLY recordings I know of another song which brings on that same reaction. And with Mandel's haunting orchestration it's almost other-wordly.

I found it here - it's the title cut and #4. The entire album has that merged sophistication of an America music influenced by the stuff coming out of Brazil in the mid 60s, a dash of the best of Mancini, and a product purely "Mandel" in the making. In a word it's just fucking chic.

Here's the link (again cut #4) to Horn and Mandel's A Time for Love:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000046KM/102-8025279-4834504?v=glance&n=5174