Serial streaker avoids Asbo for golf stunt

Discussion in 'Et Cetera, Et Cetera' started by edonline, Aug 7, 2007.

1. edonline

Gold Member

Feb 25, 2007
    Serial streaker avoids Asbo for golf stunt | The Guardian | Guardian Unlimited

Serial streaker avoids Asbo for golf stunt
    Fred Attewill and agencies
    Tuesday August 7, 2007

Guardian Unlimited

A serial streaker who ran in front of Tiger Woods with a toy squirrel covering his genitals and a golf ball clenched between his buttocks escaped an anti-social behaviour order today.

Mark Roberts, 42, has stripped off at high-profile sporting events including the Ryder Cup, the Uefa and European Cup finals, the Super Bowl in Texas and the Winter Olympics in Italy.

But it was his antics at last year's Open golf championship at Hoylake, Wirral, while the world number one golfer was about to tee off, that landed him in court today.

Mr Roberts, of Liverpool, embarked on his streaking career 14 years ago and has often used disguises to pass through security checks. At Royal Ascot in 2003, he reached the racetrack while dressed as a woman before stripping off.

Jim Clarke, representing Merseyside police, said: "Mr Roberts seeks to portray himself as a performer. But people do not pay to see this man streak."

Laurence Lee, defending, said that apart from at last September's Ryder Cup in Ireland, Mr Roberts had not offended for 12 months and had turned over a new "fig leaf".

The Asbo would have banned Mr Roberts from displaying his buttocks and genitals in public and from attending public sporting or speaking events

But the district judge, Nick Sanders, ruled that his behaviour did not warrant such an order.

He said: "What Mr Roberts does may be annoying but, in my opinion, it does not amount to anti-social behaviour."

Afterwards Mr Roberts, who is unmarried and unemployed, described the decision as a victory for the British sense of humour.

He said: "Humour and justice has prevailed over political correctness.

"My motivation has only ever been to entertain people. I've been doing this for 14 years and never once have I been booed. The day I get booed by the public is the day I stop."

Mr Roberts said his career in streaking had run its course.

"They should have brought this Asbo when I was in my prime, but I'm 42 and there's nothing left that I want to do."

Chief Superintendent Colin Matthews, of Merseyside police, later called for a change in the law. "It cannot be right that an individual can disrupt an event, sometimes causing risk to his own life and others, and not attract a ban from similar events for a specified period of time."
  2. Horny Alex

Horny Alex New Member

Jul 19, 2007
    Obviously the poor streaking chap is at the end of his tether. A good stretch in a well disciplined environment should do nicely to help him see the error of his ways. British people with their stiff upper lips must have been horrified. Tiger Wood couldn't care less. He is in it for the money. It is a pity that public flogging isn't available for such miscreants.
Draft saved Draft deleted