Serious computer problem, someone please help!

Heather LouAnna

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
Yeah...it's called Vista.

Vista has some cool features! It's total shite and nobody's drivers are caught up. It takes control of your wireless entirely, and any little thing that goes wrong with it, you need to run a repair, but other than that, it's ok...

Have you tried the voice recognition thing? It's pretty awesome. Now no one will ever have to type again. IQs plummet. It's great.

Heather LouAnna

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
Hey, that's helpful, thanks. Like I didn't know Vista sucked ass when I was forced to purchase it.

You can call your manufacturer's sales department, get a refund on Vista and puchase XP. They'll allow you to do it.

You'll have to go into your BIOS and change the SATA Operation to ATA instead of ACHI to install but, but I can help you do it. ;) heh

Heather LouAnna

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
What reinstall disc? I don't have one. I will make one someday, I suppose, now that I know that I can... but I don't want to make one until I fix my current issue.

On the note of creating a Vista reinstall disc....

I've never actually heard of anyone making one, thus far. You do know that Vista is so large that it comes on a DVD, right?

If you don't have a DVDrom in your system, you can't install Vista. Isn't that weird?

IntoxicatingToxin

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay

I've never actually heard of anyone making one, thus far. You do know that Vista is so large that it comes on a DVD, right?

If you don't have a DVDrom in your system, you can't install Vista. Isn't that weird?

Yes, that's odd... luckily for me, I have a DVD burner and DVD's to burn a recovery disk to. :tongue: My desktop that I bought is also a Compaq... and when you do the initial bootup, it gives you a message telling you to create one before you do anything else - takes up about 10 regular cd-roms. :rolleyes:

Dorian_Gray

Cherished Member
Media

All new systems that come with vista preinstalled come with a vista anytime upgrade disk, that is the same thing as a vista install dvd. just boot into it, give it your software key, it determines which version of vista that key is for, then it reinstalls vista. :)

lostmymind

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
It's not a driver issue. It's the Zone Alarm install. Sure, I'm cocky about this. I've been doing it for 25 years.

1) Back up your files.
2) Get the restore CD from Compaq.
3) Re-image your drive.
4) Disable all of the useless crap.
5) Run Windows update.
6) Install your apps (Office, etc)
7) Run Windows update again.

8) If you don't want to use the Vista firewall/security software, buy one you like that is Vista certified. I recommend Trend Micro.

joybunny

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Hi,

I took some time to look up your issue and I am pretty sure that ZoneAlarm is your primary issue. Seems that there is a history of that program failing to have a good uninstaller program. It's not considered to be a virus or spyware but it's still giving a lot of users problems. There may also be an issue with the drivers but take care of that after you get rid of ZoneAlarm.

If you can get to your computer to complete loading Vista do the following however I strongly suggest backing up any documents you can't do without. You could try doing a system backup but it can be really time consuming. Best case scenario if this works and you move on to updating your drivers if you choose. If this doesn't work then the worst case scenario is you'll have to do a system restore or even a clean install of Vista. Here goes!
  1. 1. Click on Start, type the following command in the search box, and then hit the Enter key: %temp%
  2. 2. This command will open the folder that Windows Vista has designated as the Temporary folder. These are folders and files that Windows needed at one time but are no longer useful. Everything in this folder is safe to delete.
  3. 3. I suggest deleting everything in this folder but if you don't want to do that see if there is a folder entitled Internet Logs. If it's there, select and delete that folder. If not, delete everything in the Temporary folder.
  4. 4. After all of the files have been deleted you can close the folder window and empty your Recycle Bin, permanently removing the files from your PC.
Tips:
  1. You may receive a Error Deleting File or Folder message while the files are being deleted. This just means that one of the files is in use by a program right now. Click OK, close all open programs, and repeat the steps above. If you still receive the message, try restarting your PC and repeating the process again.
  2. I know this situation can be unnerving. Relax, be patient and Good luck!
References:

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/maintenance/ht/manualtempvista.htm

Uninstalling ZoneAlarm version 4 and newer

IntoxicatingToxin

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
It's not a driver issue. It's the Zone Alarm install. Sure, I'm cocky about this. I've been doing it for 25 years.

1) Back up your files.
3) Re-image your drive.
5) Run Windows update.

8) If you don't want to use the Vista firewall/security software, buy one you like that is Vista certified. I recommend Trend Micro.

I don't mean to sound rude, because I appreciate any and all help that people are giving me on this... let me say that first. I have read online from people who have had this issue and who have fixed it without reimaging their whole drive. I want to do that. I don't have a recovery disk. Compaq will most likely charge me for one, and I have zero income. I also cannot afford to purchase virus/firewall/security software, which is why I always use whatever is free and good.

Dorian_Gray

Cherished Member
Media

1) Back up your files.
3) Re-image your drive.
5) Run Windows update.

hello?? did you read the BSOD error message? It's an irq based driver conflict issue.

Dorian_Gray

Cherished Member
Media
I don't mean to sound rude, because I appreciate any and all help that people are giving me on this... let me say that first. I have read online from people who have had this issue and who have fixed it without reimaging their whole drive. I want to do that. I don't have a recovery disk. Compaq will most likely charge me for one, and I have zero income. I also cannot afford to purchase virus/firewall/security software, which is why I always use whatever is free and good.

the good thing about the vista anytime upgrade "re-install" is you can choose to let it keep all your files and stuff and just delete and "rebuild" the Windows folder where the core of windows and all the drivers and such are stored. So it basically just reinstalls the core and all your files, such as music and stuff are still there.

Heather LouAnna

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
lol It's a fucking DRIVER. Don't reimage your system, Meg. That's fucking ridiculous.

I'm looking for that Nvidia driver too..and also having a little difficulty finding it. I'll have it for you in a minute.

Heather LouAnna

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay

1) Back up your files.
3) Re-image your drive.
5) Run Windows update.

You need to go back and get your A+ certification and your MCP. The girl gets a couple random driver related bluescreens and you tell her to reformat. Absolutely ridiculous.

lostmymind

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay

I understand. And if you're technically savvy you may have a 1 in 100 chance of repairing it yourself. That's your call. The CD from Compaq costs $10. I've ordered them before myself and saved a lot of grief. Just saying.

hello?? did you read the BSOD error message? It's an irq based driver conflict issue.

No, it's not. Have you experienced issues with Zone Alarm before? I have and I know what it takes to repair.