Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
An LB friend here in BKK has asked me for help in wording her job application in English. As open as you may think it is here, there is resistance just like anywhere.
I'm supposing that where she is applying has no Trans/LB designation to select. Unless someone has undergone sexual reassignment, one's real name remains a constant and copies of your ID are typically included w/any CV and the name is male usually I think. Hence the "need" to make mention of it. My friend has had no surgery except implants.

So she has sent me a snip of what she wants to send to this perspective employer and I am posting it here as I can't think of a better place to ask.

"I am a transexual is this okay with your company I am a very dedicated hard worker"

Personally, I think asking, 'is this OK', is not necessary and should just be a statement but I'll await the wisdom of the group. I'd be helping her tweak her English as well.

TIA

Last edited:

panlaman

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Here is an updated version I helped her with. Welcome any tips to broach the trans subject in business correspondence.

"Dear Ms/Mr. _______,

Warm greetings from Thailand.

Thank you for you reply and I appreciate the opportunity to submit my application which is attached to this email.

I am pleased to make you aware that I am a transsexual woman.

I am a very dedicated and hard working person with many years of experience in the hospitality industry."

Reactions: RedScrotum

cobra8

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
An LB friend here in BKK has asked me for help in wording her job application in English. As open as you may think it is here, there is resistance just like anywhere.
I'm supposing that where she is applying has no Trans/LB designation to select. Unless someone has undergone sexual reassignment, one's real name remains a constant and copies of your ID are typically included w/any CV and the name is male usually I think. Hence the "need" to make mention of it. My friend has had no surgery except implants.

So she has sent me a snip of what she wants to send to this perspective employer and I am posting it here as I can't think of a better place to ask.

"I am a transexual is this okay with your company I am a very dedicated hard worker"

Personally, I think asking, 'is this OK', is not necessary and should just be a statement but I'll await the wisdom of the group. I'd be helping her tweak her English as well.

TIA
Leave off the "Is this okay" part for sure, but also, let's ask what is the purpose of this letter?
I would write a letter introducing her in a pleasant and professional way convey how she is looking forward to this new job. This is an opportunity to clarify her name and pronoun. I don't see why it would be necessary to disclose her trans status to anyone who doesn't know her.

Reactions: panlaman

panlaman

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Leave off the "Is this okay" part for sure, but also, let's ask what is the purpose of this letter?
I would write a letter introducing her in a pleasant and professional way convey how she is looking forward to this new job. This is an opportunity to clarify her name and pronoun. I don't see why it would be necessary to disclose her trans status to anyone who doesn't know her.
Thanks @cobra8 I've passed on your suggestion to her. :) I agree with you. I haven't needed a CV in a gazzillion years so I'm not qualified for this except for grammer! ;)

JopneJappa

Legendary Member
Media
It depends on the place she is applying. Search for the companies policies regarding trans people. Or do you guys have any online forum in Thailand where people share their job experiences in different companies. You guys can also look up there. Also I think her being a Trans should be at the very last of her application mail after mentioning her education, experience, achievements etcetera.