Serve your nation, freeze to death in your home

HazelGod

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I suppose it's OK to let a nonagenarian WWII veteran die of hypothermia inside his house if the local power company isn't getting their nickel on time.

A medical examiner who conducted the autopsy on Schur told TV5 and WNEM.com that Schur died a painful death due to the hypothermia.

What a sad state of affairs. :no:

devron

1st Like
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Definitely sad.

On one hand, the guy owed over a grand in bills so he obviously wasn't paying it for some months and wasn't interested in setting up any kind of payment plan. Then again at that age, perhaps he wasn't all there.

On the other, I think it's rather criminal to turn off power in such cold. Around here, I think it is actually illegal, I'm not sure.

findfirefox

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
"Schur’s neighbor, Herndon, said Schur had a utility bill on his kitchen table with a large amount of money clipped to it, with the intention of paying that bill."

He had the money, if you look at the photo it looks a bit snowy and your not supposed to mail cash.

Principessa

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I suppose it's OK to let a nonagenarian WWII veteran die of hypothermia inside his house if the local power company isn't getting their nickel on time.

A medical examiner who conducted the autopsy on Schur told TV5 and WNEM.com that Schur died a painful death due to the hypothermia.
What a sad state of affairs. :no:
I saw this on another site and was equally horrified. In many cold climates it is illegal to turn off the heat from about December 1 to April 15th.

"Schur’s neighbor, Herndon, said Schur had a utility bill on his kitchen table with a large amount of money clipped to it, with the intention of paying that bill."
He had the money, if you look at the photo it looks a bit snowy and your not supposed to mail cash.
He was probably going to get a money order and not mail the cash. :rolleyes: :duh:

B_starinvestor

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Most of these power/utility companies have monopolies in their region. Even if you are unhappy with their service, you have no recourse to change.

A shame the vet didn't have any family/friends to look in on him and help him avoid this undeserved fate.

Deno

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
If this is the 93 year old guy, he simply could have went out to the meter and reset the switch on the limiter, he may simply not have know the device had been installed or was not aware he could turn it back on. His power had not been shut off. Or possibly he was unable to even venture outside, didn't hear if he had phone service that he could have called anyone for help. That don't change how terrible this event is though.