Sex and spirituality

Do you, or have you ever, practiced any form of Tantra, sexual yoga, sex magick, sexual witchcraft?

• Yes, in the past but no longer

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

XL_Lingam

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I'm curious as to whether any of the women here have any experience with any of the various modalities that combine sex and spirituality. Whether it's been with a partner, partners or solo. If so, what was your experience? Good, bad or neutral? This could include, but is not limited to: Tantra, sexual yoga, sex magick, Gardnerian Wicca, or just something you've devised yourself. What role, if any, does spirituality play in your sexual expression? Or is it all just about the physical aspect for you?

Personally, in my experience, sex and spirituality are intricately linked, so I'm interested to hear from a female perspective. Any specific Goddesses or female energies you feel drawn to, or identify with?

Men are welcome to respond, so long as it's not just "Dear Penthouse" type stories or mansplaining of philosophical beliefs.

This is NOT a thread for "debate" about religion, however. It's a free forum and people can post what they want, but I'm cautiously hoping any discussion will be civil and respectful.

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm curious as to whether any of the women here have any experience with any of the various modalities that combine sex and spirituality. Whether it's been with a partner, partners or solo. If so, what was your experience? Good, bad or neutral? This could include, but is not limited to: Tantra, sexual yoga, sex magick, Gardnerian Wicca, or just something you've devised yourself. What role, if any, does spirituality play in your sexual expression? Or is it all just about the physical aspect for you?

Personally, in my experience, sex and spirituality are intricately linked, so I'm interested to hear from a female perspective. Any specific Goddesses or female energies you feel drawn to, or identify with?

Men are welcome to respond, so long as it's not just "Dear Penthouse" type stories or mansplaining of philosophical beliefs.

This is NOT a thread for "debate" about religion, however. It's a free forum and people can post what they want, but I'm cautiously hoping any discussion will be civil and respectful.

I never have. I think watching biographies of Sting on VH1 are the most exposure I've had to it.

Note that sex is also about the emotional aspects. Just because it's not necessarily spiritual doesn't mean that it's only physical.

XL_Lingam

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Note that sex is also about the emotional aspects. Just because it's not necessarily spiritual doesn't mean that it's only physical.

That's a good point, and one I hadn't considered when forming the question. Thanks for bringing it up. I may conflate emotion with spirituality a little bit, so it's probably an important distinction to consider.

Industrialsize

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I'm curious why you chose the username, therainbowbody. It is a very specific reference to the Dzogchen Lineage of Tibetan Buddhist. The rainbow body phenomenon is a third person perspective of someone else attaining complete knowledge (Tibetan: རིག་པ, Wylie: rigpa). Knowledge is the absence of delusion regarding the display of the basis. It is part of the Tantric Teachings of Tibetan Buddhism which have nothing to do with sex. It is typically pictured as follows in Tibetan Iconography: 85fe53a32d1dd3e7c0b05c60e7c8891c.jpg

Reactions: XL_Lingam

Mule

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
I have a mild interest in this area, but have never explored it. If I'm really honest, it seems like a LOT of work and the rationalist part of my brain would probably derail the process by focusing on the woo-woo aspects and calling bullshit.

Edit: I don't mean the above to be disrespectful, just an honest piece of self-awareness. It's not that I think none of this has value or can lead to advances in sensuality/sexual knowledge, etc. I just don't have a lot of room in my head for the religious or supernatural elements.

Last edited:
Reactions: XL_Lingam

Tattooed Goddess

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
The closest thing I've had to a spiritual experience is the first time I tripped on psychedelic mushrooms. Even the best orgasms don't result in a spiritual feeling to me.

We did receive a tantric sex book from someone as a gift. We fingered through it and thought most of it looked impossible (with our minimum flexibility).

Mule

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
We did receive a tantric sex book from someone as a gift. We fingered through it and thought most of it looked impossible (with our minimum flexibility).

Seems to me that some of those physical contortions would completely rob the experience of any spontaneity too. I like sex to be raw, in-the-moment and a reflection of our emotional states. It's best when those states are in-sync with one another, but contrasts can work too. Having to consult a manual (or memory) for where my left leg goes relative to my partner's right ear seems counterproductive.

No thank you. Something something atheist etc + practicality. A lot of tantra stuff just.. even when I was at my most limber, unless I were banging another gymnast.......... I don't see it going too well. Those who are into this kind of thing, more power to you, but no thank you.

XL_Lingam

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Thanks for your responses, everyone. It's very helpful and interesting to me. I'm a pretty lazy person so most of my experiments with these sorts of things haven't involved any sort of wild body contortions, and to be honest I wouldn't find that sort of thing very appealing either.

Spirituality isn't the opposite of science. I'm not a fan of religion, as some people might have noticed. I consider myself to be Humanist, and I feel that sex in general is a spiritual experience if you are lucky enough to have the choices and the freedom that I have.

My sexuality is part of my expression of the "deepest values and meanings by which people live", or by which I live at least.

EllieP

Worshipped Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I was going to say it, too!

I'm very closeted with my spirituality. It's mine. I don't want to share it. You don't need to know it, and if you'd like you can find your own brand of spirituality without my or anyone else's help.