Votes: 1 5.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
(as one can tell from the above review, I have no intention of seeing Sex In The City. Hell, I didn't even care for the television program-perhaps due to its incredible inaccuracies.)
I thought it was a comedy, not a documentary...:confused:

I liked the show OK. My boy is a S&TC fanatic; he will most likely demand that I see it with him.

DC_DEEP

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Well said.

Northland, thank you for the account of the Sex and the City pilgrims and their pathetic delusions.
Yeah, that is pathetic. The owner of that property should keep a supply of water balloons ready to bombard the idiots who want to hang out on the stoop and fantasize.

Trinity

Just Browsing
Media
Haha! YES!!

The distortions of New York in the show are infamous in these here parts. Carrie's apartment alone is a joke unto itself. One bedroom pre-war walk-up off Madison Avenue? Hello??? That's $2,500 a month and she manages this, and all those shoes, on the salary of a part-time columnist?!?!?! Did she have rent-control? When did she get this apartment? As a baby?

Miranda can afford her place. We have to assume Samantha can afford hers (which is likely to cost more than Carrie's and Miranda's). That's OK. The real kicker is Charlotte's place. That pre-war palace on Park Avenue would have monthly maintenance charges in excess of $3,000 a month and she manages this by doing nothing? Oh wait. She worked in an art gallery... likely earning less than Carrie.... oh OK.

Real estate in New York is a spectator sport. Really! The NY Times has an entire Sunday section devoted to real estate. Who buys what and where or, more salaciously, who screws whom out of what where, is gossip column fodder. Websites like Curbed.com and those of the major realtors actually make money tracking NYC real estate gossip. It's a circus.

Carrie was a full-time writer/columnist. She had her own weekly column in a newspaper so one would think she could afford her apartment and shoes. Now, she was far from rich and did experience a few notable instances when her shoe fetish was shown to put her beyond her means. Also, she couldn't hang with millionaire Big in the money department so she just made a decent living for New York and was able to keep herself in a lifestyle she enjoyed.

Samantha- Owned her own PR Firm...as a CEO and dealing with lots of big wigs like the wealthy Richard Wright. She was a millionaire herself. She had money.

Miranda - Was a partner at a prominent law firm and could afford her apartment, a housekeeper/nanny to help her manage her life.

Charlotte - Was the Curator of a Prestigeous Art Gallery in Manhattan...a very coveted position. There was an episode when she passed the torch on to a lucky girl when she wanted to concentrate on becoming a mother with Tre'. She got the Pre-War Palace in the divorce and had to fight Bunny McDougal to get it. Also wisely, Charlotte got Bunny to put a cool million to her in the pre-nup if She and Tre' divorced so she was able to afford her lifestyle too.

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
I dont' really watch that much TV. I hang out at the movie theater a lot. Always have since I was a kid. Those women are hot and have some crazy times in their make believe life. I'll splurge and go and see it for sure.

It'll probably be much better than the show is on regular TV.

flame boy

Account Disabled
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I really liked the TV show when it first came on, but I began to tire of it by about the 5th season. I think the movie is a cool idea, but I don't have the "Carrie Fever" that some of my friends have. I will check it out on DVD most likely as I am not busting a gut to see it.

Mem

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I'm gay so I didn't vote, but I did not watch the show and have no interest in the movie. Unless SarahJP is pulling a Handsome Cab.

Not quite....

In New York, landlords want to see you earning 40 times your monthly rent. If Carrie's rent is $3,500 a month, then that's $100,000 a year, minimum. Salaries for non-syndicated columnists top out around $65,000 according to Salary.com. It really isn't enough to stay afloat in Manhattan. Again though, she may have had rent control or stabilization. That might get her a break.

No way Charlotte can live on the $70k-$100k income she gets from that million. That classic six will kill her in real estate taxes alone, not to mention $35k a year in maintenance charges and the income taxes. Charlotte really is screwed unless she has a trust fund somewhere we don't know about.

Miranda has the most sensible apartment of the four and makes enough to afford it, so no issues there. Same with Samantha though her Meatpacking address is superhot these days and no way she has rent control so she's likely paying the most out of the three who rent.

Trinity

Just Browsing
Media
Not quite....

In New York, landlords want to see you earning 40 times your monthly rent. If Carrie's rent is $3,500 a month, then that's $100,000 a year, minimum. Salaries for non-syndicated columnists top out around $65,000 according to Salary.com. It really isn't enough to stay afloat in Manhattan. Again though, she may have had rent control or stabilization. That might get her a break.

I don't know how much Carrie's fictional rent is...but she could definitely be earning $100,000 a year as a columnist in New York. Salary.com is a good point of reference but not the definitive word on what everyone makes in every position. The show was named after the column and it was extremely popular which made Carrie Bradshaw somewhat of a NY celebrity. That type of columnist in that area of the country could definitely command a higher salary. I also forgot to mention that her apartment went co-op so Charlotte hocked her ring so Carrie could afford the down payment when she split from Aiden. Carrie also was a freelance writer at Vogue magazine. And she had a book published in the U.S. and in France for which she was paid well.

No way Charlotte can live on the $70k-$100k income she gets from that million. That classic six will kill her in real estate taxes alone, not to mention $35k a year in maintenance charges and the income taxes. Charlotte really is screwed unless she has a trust fund somewhere we don't know about.

Charlotte's character was a princess and no doubt she came from a good family that was well off. Besides the million dollars it is reasonable Charlotte had some investments before and during her marriage to keep her going. Charlotte was going to sell the apartment but she got remarried to a highly successful and wealthy manhattan lawyer with his own house in the Hamptons...Harry.

Miranda has the most sensible apartment of the four and makes enough to afford it, so no issues there. Same with Samantha though her Meatpacking address is superhot these days and no way she has rent control so she's likely paying the most out of the three who rent.

Yeah...real estate is interesting.

transformer_99

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I think you missed an option in the survey.

"Will go and see Sex and the City because I will learn something"

There's a reason most women like this series (although the movie was not as good as it could have been), perhaps more guys should pay some interest and learn. It might even spark some conversation with your wifes/GFs and who knows... Perhaps more...

I don't and never would empower any show to that level of impact on my life, just like I wouldn't "Desperate Housewives". Which should this folly be successful with "Sex & the City", would obviously open the flood gates and encourage more movies as spinoff's of tv series. Look at how stupid every other one has become. We had Dukes of Hazard, CHIPS, Starsky & Hutch, none of them anything memorable or worth watching. I could barely stand to watch those on cable when they were broadcast on channels other than HBO, Showtime and so on. Some of those stations even broadcast them back to back to back over the weekend evenings. 3 times, and each time it was the same train wreck. I almost wished they had broadcast each with an alternate ending ? At tleast that might have kept anyone watching for more than 3-5 minutes ? I wanted to vomit after watching these types of movies. I actually have never seen Gigli, but in my mind, as bad as the critics indicated Gigli was, I can't imagine these movies being any worse or for that matter any better ?

Last edited:

simcha

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I watched the show once or twice and decided that it was about the dumbest program on at the time. I never understood the draw that this had for anyone, male or female. I guess someone is going to have to take my "gay card" again because it's yet another thing that I'm supposed to like allegedly that I don't. (Like I HATE Barbara Streisand. That blows two stereotypes.)

I don't know how much Carrie's fictional rent is...but she could definitely be earning $100,000 a year as a columnist in New York. Salary.com is a good point of reference but not the definitive word on what everyone makes in every position. The show was named after the column and it was extremely popular which made Carrie Bradshaw somewhat of a NY celebrity. That type of columnist in that area of the country could definitely command a higher salary. I also forgot to mention that her apartment went co-op so Charlotte hocked her ring so Carrie could afford the down payment when she split from Aiden. Carrie also was a freelance writer at Vogue magazine. And she had a book published in the U.S. and in France for which she was paid well.

Charlotte's character was a princess and no doubt she came from a good family that was well off. Besides the million dollars it is reasonable Charlotte had some investments before and during her marriage to keep her going. Charlotte was going to sell the apartment but she got remarried to a highly successful and wealthy manhattan lawyer with his own house in the Hamptons...Harry.

Yeah...real estate is interesting.

Good points. I had forgotten Carrie's apartment went co-op.

blar

Experimental Member
Media
I have to agree with some of the critics of this show that I have read

this show ruined some women as well as the attitudes towards relationships